Reel Problem (Marado)

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:18 AM
xeon

Default Reel Problem (Marado)

Hi all,

I'm novice in flyfishing so forgive if my question is too easy.

I've recently bought a flyfishing reel (Marado Axis-F 4/5) and I'm trying to
put the backing and the line inside it. The question is that the reel has
two line guides, I mean it has two "holes" (separated with a square label)
to pass the line through. I've choosed the first one because I suppose that
the other one is the one you'd use if you use the reel with the right hand
(I will use the left one).

Well, apart from this doubt the problem I have is that the line does not go
very smoothly through the line guide. I've bought a #4 line so it should go
easily or maybe not, I don't know if that is normal because I've never use a
flyfishing equipment.

Could anybody provide me advice about this?

Thanks

Old October 11th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Tim J.

"xeon" wrote...
I'm novice in flyfishing so forgive if my question is too easy.

I've recently bought a flyfishing reel (Marado Axis-F 4/5) and I'm trying to
put the backing and the line inside it. The question is that the reel has
two line guides, I mean it has two "holes" (separated with a square label)
to pass the line through. I've choosed the first one because I suppose that
the other one is the one you'd use if you use the reel with the right hand
(I will use the left one).

Well, apart from this doubt the problem I have is that the line does not go
very smoothly through the line guide. I've bought a #4 line so it should go
easily or maybe not, I don't know if that is normal because I've never use a
flyfishing equipment.

The line should come off the bottom of the spool through the hole and not make
any contact with the reel.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 11th, 2003, 02:52 PM
xeon

It is setup like you say, the line left the spool and goes through the hole
without touching the reel. Should the hole be very big? I think that the
problem is that the hole is not big enough to let the line pass without
"problems".

Another question, what's the maximum level that the reel should be filled?

Thanks for your answer

"Tim J." escribió en el mensaje
. net...

"xeon" wrote...

Old October 11th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Tim J.

"xeon" wrote...
It is setup like you say, the line left the spool and goes through the hole
without touching the reel. Should the hole be very big? I think that the
problem is that the hole is not big enough to let the line pass without
"problems".

I've never seen a fly reel with a small hole like you describe. The only reel
I've seen that uses "holes" instead of spacers is a Martin, which has fairly
large rectangular openings.

Another question, what's the maximum level that the reel should be filled?

I fill mine to about 3/16" from the edge of the spool.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 12th, 2003, 01:44 AM
George Cleveland

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:18:05 +0200, "xeon" wrote:

Hi all,

I'm novice in flyfishing so forgive if my question is too easy.

I've recently bought a flyfishing reel (Marado Axis-F 4/5) and I'm trying to
put the backing and the line inside it. The question is that the reel has
two line guides, I mean it has two "holes" (separated with a square label)
to pass the line through. I've choosed the first one because I suppose that
the other one is the one you'd use if you use the reel with the right hand
(I will use the left one).

Well, apart from this doubt the problem I have is that the line does not go
very smoothly through the line guide. I've bought a #4 line so it should go
easily or maybe not, I don't know if that is normal because I've never use a
flyfishing equipment.

Could anybody provide me advice about this?

Thanks

O.K I just found a picture of your reel (I think).

I'm "borrowing" the image from eBay.

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyanglerusa/REELSaxis.jpg

I think that you have threaded the reel between the roller guides and the little
logo doodad (technical term). Instead the line should be above the roller guide
(or in the reel on the left [which is upside down] it would be below the roller
bearing). The line only comes in contact with the bearing when you pull down on
the line to get more in your hand, it usually doesn't come in contact. Normally
it would just pay out through the big opening at the front of the reel, not fed
down between the bearing and the logo plate.

g.c.

Who *never* thought he had a career as a technical writer.