Secret Weapon Sidearm - thanks for your help, ROFB

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Default OTS... is SPAM in the eye of the beholder?

Marty wrote:
In your case, you might catch a little less flak with a simple statement
along the lines of, "SWL has a special for ROFB members. For details, click
here."

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote:
... If I
put a line in my signature that reads, "Check our special ROFB-Members
Only offers" and include a link to the Web page, would that be SPAM?

I, for one, would not consider a message like that contained in a
..sig file to be SPAM so long as the message that preceded the .sig
was an on-topic contribution to the group and not a commercial.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:XuBmh.56090
:

I, for one, would not consider a message like that contained in a
.sig file to be SPAM so long as the message that preceded the .sig
was an on-topic contribution to the group and not a commercial.

Yup, that's generally the way its done, and most find it nonoffensive.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote
in :

What if the business owner was selling the product at or below his
cost (no profit on the transaction). Would that be SPAM?

Yes.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jim Laumann

Default Secret Weapon Sidearm - thanks for your help, ROFB

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:32:57 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
SPAM snipped

I'd like two fried eggs, over easy, with my SPAM.

Thanks.

Ken

If you don't like Joe's posts - don't read them!! - It's that
simple.

Personally, I have learned one H#*^ of alot from Joe's posts - they
can be educational on the subject of bass fishing - spinner baits and
other methods - they can be down right funny as well.

I'd never fished a spinner bait prior to learning of SW's - now
I use them all the time. They work - and SW's are the most
flexible of all the ones in my box.

Joe and Charles are both stand-up guys - so give it
a rest.

Thanks

Jim

Owner of about a dozen SW's. And pork chop in a can
is good eating - cut a slab about 1/2" thick, grilled w/ some
cheese, add lettuce and tomato on a whole wheat bun - yum!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

That's a bunch of hooey, Rodney. What Usenet readers of non-commercial
Usenet newsgroups want is a newsgroup free of commercials, a newsgroup
where they know the information is honest, personal opinion and not
a bunch of marketing hype.

Sometimes what "sounds" like hype, is honest personal opinion, or even
better than that, controlled test results.

Regular posters to this group, are members of a family, a few of us, do
make our livings from the "topic" of the group, but we share our
knowledge of our products with our family and friends, on the internet
and off the internet. Personally I have not made 20 dollars from my
royalties from years of posting on a few fishing groups. I'm not posting
here to make money, (just one story in Bassmaster is read by over
2,000,000 fishermen, not just a couple hundred that come here). I just
come here to share what I've discovered to a few friends who also like
to "catch" fish. I also like the feed back from those who have bought my
inventions from tackle stores. Few "companies" actually care.

All of "my" products are actually no longer "mine", they have
manufactures that market and sell them, I was just the inventor of them,
and I'm the "expert" in using them properly. I have many "true"
professional bass fishermen who call/email me, and ask for advice in
using them.

I listen to others here, and try to "invent" other products the
fishermen need, without people like me, and Joe, you all would still be
using a cane pole and a safety pin to fish with. The problem here is all
you guys think all the stuff you now use, was always available. People
make money from every lure, and rod , and reel you buy, it's the way the
world works. Would this group not rather have more people who invent and
develop new lures and rigs for their sport on this group ? Why would you
not want to know about the newest stuff available, have an inside tract,
stay a few months, or a year, ahead of all other fishermen ?

P.S.

I have had "many" stories in Bassmaster on my fishing products, as well
as "all" the other national magazines, it took "me" longer to write this
post, than it did to get any of those stories written, and published.
I'm not here to "push my products", it's not worth the effort, but I do
like to share to those who do want to listen, and learn on this group,
just because I love the sport, and using my products is the only way I
fish, they are the only thing I can give expert advice on. I hold back
on it, because of a few on here, who don't like me talking about 50 bass
or 100 trout days, because they think it's B.S./hype, when actually,
it's a normal day on the water for me, I can't share how I do it here,
because it can't be done on a regular bases, without using my
inventions, and the "way" I use them, and telling "how" here, is called
spam, although I'm not personally "selling" the products.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Jim Laumann wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Joe Haubenreich wrote:
SPAM snipped

I'd like two fried eggs, over easy, with my SPAM.

Thanks.

Ken

If you don't like Joe's posts - don't read them!! - It's that
simple.

I don't like SPAM. It's that simple.

Joe and Charles are both stand-up guys - so give it
a rest.

I don't doubt for one second that both are gentlmen, scholars
and fine judges of horse flesh and women, not to mention guys
I'd enjoy meeting and sharing a fishing trip with. But this
Usenet newsgroup thing is self-policing and if I see something
I don't like, SPAM for instance, I speak up. If you don't like
my posts, don't read them.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Rodney Long wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
That's a bunch of hooey, Rodney. What Usenet readers of non-commercial
Usenet newsgroups want is a newsgroup free of commercials, a newsgroup
where they know the information is honest, personal opinion and not
a bunch of marketing hype.

Sometimes what "sounds" like hype, is honest personal opinion, or even
better than that, controlled test results.
snip
I'm not here to "push my products", it's not worth the effort, but I do
like to share to those who do want to listen, and learn on this group,
just because I love the sport, and using my products is the only way I
fish, they are the only thing I can give expert advice on. I hold back
on it, because of a few on here, who don't like me talking about 50 bass
or 100 trout days, because they think it's B.S./hype, when actually,
it's a normal day on the water for me, I can't share how I do it here,
because it can't be done on a regular bases, without using my
inventions, and the "way" I use them, and telling "how" here, is called
spam, although I'm not personally "selling" the products.

You're right about one thing, it's not worth the effort to SPAM
rofb. It seems to me that Joe & Company are way better at it than
you ever were, I mean you're something of a pariah here because
of your SPAMming and they're not, but all that aside posting
commercials here is quite simply bad for business and no business
person in their right mind would deliberately harm their business.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris S

That's your Opinion Ken Dont speak for everyone here JUST speak for
yourself. I am my own man and I'll speak for myself thank you very
much........

Chris S
Replace com with net to e-mail
---

. net...

Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

Joe, don't worry about the possibility of it being SPAM, it's not as far as
I can see. It's not like your using an email sniffer in these groups and
sending bulk posts or anything. Most people in this group are pretty tight
knit it seems, and they all know you and most of the regulars are using your
products, and appreciate it! They all speak highly of you, and your
product. So it's not like your some guy that no one knows, coming in here
and saying, "Look at my new site for hot deals!".

I'm not a regular, and haven't been accepted in this group, but I do read
daily pretty much, but as I said, we all know you, regulars and non-regulars
alike, and it's cool.

I just think it's winter and some just need an outlet to vent there BS,
that's all pent up inside. You provided that outlet, but it's just to be
ignored.

Geesh, what's next? Politics and religion??!! Nothing worse than someone
talking serious politics and religion in a fishing group!

Hope your business is doing well, and don't forget us little people when you
make your 1st million!

Best regards,

Doug

P.S.
Do non-regulars qualify for your 50% discount, such as myself? What
qualifies as a regular anyway in here?

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in
message . ..
Chris Rennert's quote from ROFB on the page about our new Secret Weapon
Sidearm spinnerbait was so good that we use it on our Website (see link in
sig, below). We held off releasing the bait to dealers and the public
until
New Year's Day weekend because we'd like it to be considered for best new
bait of 2007.

Of course, some of you have been using prototypes of this bait for several
months. Our first tournament field test of this new spinnerbait design was
at the ROFB Northwoods Classic last summer in Rhinelander, WI. Before
moving
the lure into production, we wanted to see how well they worked and
whether
anglers who were fishing for pride, money, or just the fun of competition
would reach for these baits. As it turned out, several did, and they did
all
right.

To those who helped us with field-testing, many thanks for your feedback.
think we've got an exciting addition to the Secret Weapon arsenal. If you
want to give it a try, we've created a 50% discount code for ROFB members,
good through the first week in January.

Regards, and Happy New Year!

Joe
--------------------
Secret Weapon Lures
Better designs... better performance... better results!
SWL Sidearm: http://secretweaponlures.com/sidearm.htm
50% ROFB Member Discount (through Jan 7, 2007): rofb750

Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Joe, thanks for the offer on the lures. I intend to place an order today.
I got my first SWL spinner bait last year when the bass had been asleep up
here for a while, the this lure woke them up. I was pleasantly surprised to
catch a number of very nice fish at a time when I thought the bass fishing
was over.

As far as the SPAM matter is concerned, I couldn't care less. I get 15 or
20 emails per day offering me everything from mortgage consolidation to
penis enlargement. A discount offer from one of the NG regular
contributors here is not only unoffensive to me, I consider it a gift that I
will gladly accept. Thank you Joe.

If Joe gets under your skin, just plonk him, me or anyone else you don't
agree with. Life will go on for all of us and the plonker and plonkee alike
will live happy little lives in parallel universes.

Now, if one of you fine gentlemen out there who owns a bass boat outlet
would be so kind to match Joe's offer of 50% off on a nice, shiny, new 20
footer........instead of SPAMMING the group, please email me directly.