Secret Weapon Sidearm - thanks for your help, ROFB

Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

Default OTS... is SPAM in the eye of the beholder?

Rodney Long wrote in news:VwEmh.134$g_7.98
@newsfe02.lga:

I listen to others here, and try to "invent" other products the
fishermen need, without people like me, and Joe, you all would still be
using a cane pole and a safety pin to fish with.

It's amazing just how much ego these electronic "rooms" can hold.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message:
It's amazing just how much ego these electronic "rooms" can hold.

What's wrong with ego Scott? Have you seen any of the things these guys
have developed?

Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Scott Seidman wrote:
Rodney Long wrote in news:VwEmh.134$g_7.98
@newsfe02.lga:

I listen to others here, and try to "invent" other products the
fishermen need, without people like me, and Joe, you all would still be
using a cane pole and a safety pin to fish with.

It's amazing just how much ego these electronic "rooms" can hold.

Say what you want, but EVERYTHING you fish with was invented by someone,
and most of the inventors MADE MONEY for doing it, they did it to make
money, it's the way they make their livings, it may be a sport to you
but to them it is a sport and their livelihood. Most of those products
you use were not invented by mega companies, but by individual fishermen
who decided to go into the fishing business . Of course you would rather
the MEGA companies be the only ones that profit from your sport.

I don't know what your day job is, but you would not consider it an ego,
you would just call it being good at your job, it's no big deal to you

Fishing, and inventing new, "better" means to do it, is my day JOB, it's
no big deal to me, it's just what I do, of the hundreds who do it, I'm
just one of them, and you must be very good at it, to make a living from
it. If your not, none of your inventions will get licensed by those MEGA
Tackle companies.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

"johnval1" wrote in newsdPmh.11236$ZT3.5493
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message:
It's amazing just how much ego these electronic "rooms" can hold.

What's wrong with ego Scott? Have you seen any of the things these

guys
have developed?

Did you read the snippet I quoted?

Nothing is particularly wrong with ego, but I find humility to be a more
attractive characteristic. Herter certainly was proud of his stuff--
probably justifiably-- but that doesn't mean I'd like to be locked up in
a room with him while he's spouting off, either.

There are probably millions of bass fisherman who never heard of this
stuff who will never miss it. Others know about it, like me, and choose
not to buy it. If another fishing product weren't invented for another
century, millions of people would still enjoy fishing--even fishing for
bass.

For what its worth, my rig isn't that far away from a cane pole and
safety pin, and I value my recreational (that's the "rec" in ROFB,
remember?) time on the water at least as much, if not more, than many of
the fishermen here.

He's a big boy. If he wants to shill his stuff in a free forum where
some find it objectionable, let him stop whining when people choose to
express their displeasure. Personally, I don't think he's achieving
anything more than a one-line statement in his signature would, and maybe
less.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message

Did you read the snippet I quoted?

Yes I did read the snippet you quoted. I have read the entire thread. I
think it is a good conversation.

Nothing is particularly wrong with ego, but I find humility to be a more
attractive characteristic. Herter certainly was proud of his stuff--
probably justifiably-- but that doesn't mean I'd like to be locked up in
a room with him while he's spouting off, either.

I'm gratified we both agree that "ego", as used in this conversation is not
so bad.

There are probably millions of bass fisherman who never heard of this
stuff who will never miss it. Others know about it, like me, and choose
not to buy it. If another fishing product weren't invented for another
century, millions of people would still enjoy fishing--even fishing for
bass.

Great. Don't buy the stuff. Use what you like, how you like, and when and
where you like. Sounds to me as though you are a proper contrarian, which I
believe to be a good thing most of the time. However, ascribing negative
attributes to these folks by denegrating their "ego" is snide and salacious
and generally a crappy way of contributing to a conversation.

For what its worth, my rig isn't that far away from a cane pole and
safety pin, and I value my recreational (that's the "rec" in ROFB,
remember?) time on the water at least as much, if not more, than many of
the fishermen here.

Scott, please dispense with the tutorials. Get off your high horse. Not
all of us are mouth-breathers here.

He's a big boy. If he wants to shill his stuff in a free forum where
some find it objectionable, let him stop whining when people choose to
express their displeasure. Personally, I don't think he's achieving
anything more than a one-line statement in his signature would, and maybe
less.

As far as shilling, Joe has placed a considerable amount of his product in
the hands of the pros on this board for beta testing. I don't recall any
complaints about that activity. He happens to make outstanding products,
stands behind them, and has spent time here with good tips and information
in the past. All aspiring pro should read his monograph on sponsorship and
working partnerships with corporate entities. It is a primer for how to get
a fishing career going in the right direction.

As I said before, if you think he is just a shill, don't pay any attention
to his posts. Don't take advantage of his offers.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

Joe Haubendreich has been a fixture in his community & with this group for
an extremely long time. I know Joe as well as most, & there is absolutely no
secret side to anything Joe does. His life is an open book. Furthermore,
anyone who has ever met him will agree with this. For the record, I want to
state for the world to see that anyone who would ever question Joe's ethics
or morals would have to be (stop reading now, Joe... you hate this word) an
ignorant, illiterate asshole!

Fortunately, that does not appear to be what this thread is about or
inferring. This thread is about spamming, & is largely featuring the
opinions of Ken Fortenberry. Ken & I go way back on this group. We would
love to spend a day in his canoe fishing together, & I'm positive that, just
on general principle, each would try to throw the other overboard before the
end of the float. We would then end the day laughing together over a cold
drink somewhere. Ken is a good guy with only two major flaws: He demands
that replies to posts be on shown top (a really stupid waste of time) & he
rigidly defines SPAMMING with his own hopelessly wrong & unusable set of
rules. Intelligent folks show really good sense by just ignoring him on
these points. Otherwise, he's an OK guy in my book.

Bob Rickard
Old Geezer & Really Nice Guy
and angling loving Founder & Director of Secret Weapon Lures
.................................................. .................................................. .....................................

t...

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

"johnval1" wrote in
t:

As I said before, if you think he is just a shill, don't pay any
attention to his posts.

And, if you think I have no platform from which to justifiably complain
about what I see is a misuse of a usenet group, then pay no attention to my
posts--or can't you detect a little bit of circularity in telling me to
ignore someone's post when you can't ignore mine?

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Blevins

Default Secret Weapon Sidearm - thanks for your help, ROFB

DAMN -This is the longest on going thread I've seen in this NG in a year
Ken Blevins [no other opinions ]
"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in
message . ..
Chris Rennert's quote from ROFB on the page about our new Secret Weapon
Sidearm spinnerbait was so good that we use it on our Website (see link in
sig, below). We held off releasing the bait to dealers and the public
until
New Year's Day weekend because we'd like it to be considered for best new
bait of 2007.

Of course, some of you have been using prototypes of this bait for several
months. Our first tournament field test of this new spinnerbait design was
at the ROFB Northwoods Classic last summer in Rhinelander, WI. Before
moving
the lure into production, we wanted to see how well they worked and
whether
anglers who were fishing for pride, money, or just the fun of competition
would reach for these baits. As it turned out, several did, and they did
all
right.

To those who helped us with field-testing, many thanks for your feedback.
think we've got an exciting addition to the Secret Weapon arsenal. If you
want to give it a try, we've created a 50% discount code for ROFB members,
good through the first week in January.

Regards, and Happy New Year!

Joe
--------------------
Secret Weapon Lures
Better designs... better performance... better results!
SWL Sidearm: http://secretweaponlures.com/sidearm.htm
50% ROFB Member Discount (through Jan 7, 2007): rofb750

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
And, if you think I have no platform from which to justifiably complain
about what I see is a misuse of a usenet group, then pay no attention to
my
posts--or can't you detect a little bit of circularity in telling me to
ignore someone's post when you can't ignore mine?

I do not see Joe's post as a misuse of usernet. Sorry that you do.

I guess this answers the eternal musical question of whether the circle will
be unbroken! As Ronald Reagan said to Jimmy Carter, "There you go again!"
Another tutorial. The difference here is you and I have engaged in somewhat
of a direct exhange of disagreement, especially about "ego" and not usernet
misuse, as opposed to Joe's broadcast offer and subsequent generalized
response to Ken.

On one matter, I will gladly agree with you Scott. No doubt our
conversation has become tedious to many, so we should ignore one another
from this point forward.