Bass boat?

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Default Bass boat?

Okay, I am going to get a boat and I have few questions.

Here in San Diego County our lakes are small and the G3 165 or 175 with
a 60 hp Yamaha is what I have kinda narrowed it down to.
http://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/Eagle_165/
My old Toyota truck could pull it around here.

What are the differences between these welded aluminum hulls and a
fiberglass hull. Isn't the aluminum lighter?

Is there a 16 foot fiberglass that is in these price ranges and the G3?
I heard that Nitro has one?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of each material type?

I am looking for a 16 to 17 foot with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha that can be
2 to 4 years old in the 7-9 thousand dollar range.
Am I being realistic?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old January 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

SHRED wrote:
Okay, I am going to get a boat and I have few questions.

Here in San Diego County our lakes are small and the G3 165 or 175 with
a 60 hp Yamaha is what I have kinda narrowed it down to.
http://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/Eagle_165/
My old Toyota truck could pull it around here.

What are the differences between these welded aluminum hulls and a
fiberglass hull. Isn't the aluminum lighter?

Is there a 16 foot fiberglass that is in these price ranges and the G3?
I heard that Nitro has one?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of each material type?

I am looking for a 16 to 17 foot with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha that can be
2 to 4 years old in the 7-9 thousand dollar range.
Am I being realistic?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I run a 2004 G3 175 with a 2 cycle 50 on it, and bought it this year for
under the bottom end of your price range. I really couldn't be happier
with it. I might've preferred a 4 stroke, but when you're on the lookout
for the right deal used, you gotta take what crops up. This boat was 2
years old and had been used a total of 14 days. To me, the biggest
difference between an all welded aluminum boat and a glass boat is, I'm
not nearly as concerned when I scrape a dock or bump a a stump. I use
this thing everywhere from "electric only" ponds to Champlain and the
Hudson, and never feel like it's too small or too big.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

RichZ wrote:
SHRED wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rich.

Wow. Good deal.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Does the 50hp push it along real nicely?

Man I want one so bad.

Out here in CA the 4 stroke motor meets the regulations and is "future
proof" to anymore regs. That is why I want to get one.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

SHRED wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

63 -- I just lucked into a really good deal.

Does the 50hp push it along real nicely?

32 -- I did find that this boat really benefited from a doel fin on the
cavitation plate.

Good luck in finding one. I've seen two similar ones -- both 2003s, one
with a 4 stroke sixty and one with a 2 stroke 70(I think) go right in
the middle of you price range since I bought mine.
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"SHRED" wrote in message
Okay, I am going to get a boat and I have few questions.

Here in San Diego County our lakes are small and the G3 165 or 175 with a
60 hp Yamaha is what I have kinda narrowed it down to.
http://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/Eagle_165/
My old Toyota truck could pull it around here.

What are the differences between these welded aluminum hulls and a
fiberglass hull. Isn't the aluminum lighter?

Is there a 16 foot fiberglass that is in these price ranges and the G3?
I heard that Nitro has one?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of each material type?

I am looking for a 16 to 17 foot with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha that can be 2
to 4 years old in the 7-9 thousand dollar range.
Am I being realistic?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I own both an aluminum boat and a glass boat and I like both very much.

I really don't want to rehash the glass vs aluminum arguements. You can
check the archives at Bass Boat Central or Az Bass Zone and read hundreds if
not thousands of posts on the subject.

There are new glass boats in the low teens also. Stratos and Nitro of
course come to mind.

That being said you have settled on a good boat. G3 has managed to become
one of the top respected aluminum boat manufacturers. I don't know which
dealerships you have looked at, but you might be able to get a deal on a new
'06 from Kelly Leigh here in Yuma at River Marine. Kelly bought out
Davidson Marine and the inventory of Colorado River Marine and is now the
Skeeter/Ranger/G3/Waco dealer in the area. He may want to move some of the
boats he just got from buying out the inventory of Colorado River Marine.
Can't hurt to give him a call and see what he has. (928) 783-6502. Of
course I don't know how Ca might penalize you for buying a boat out of
state.

Good Luck

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old January 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John Kerr

Bass boat?

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Jan 3, 2007, 6:43pm (CST-2)
From: (SHRED)
Okay, I am going to get a boat and I have few questions.
Here in San Diego County our lakes are small and the G3 165 or 175 with
a 60 hp Yamaha is what I have kinda narrowed it down to.
http://www.g3boats.com/EagleSeries/Eagle_165/ My old Toyota truck could
pull it around here.
What are the differences between these welded aluminum hulls and a
fiberglass hull. Isn't the aluminum lighter?
Is there a 16 foot fiberglass that is in these price ranges and the G3?
I heard that Nitro has one?
What is the advantage or disadvantage of each material type?
I am looking for a 16 to 17 foot with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha that can be
2 to 4 years old in the 7-9 thousand dollar range. Am I being realistic?
Thanks for any suggestions.
========
I took a look at some sites out west....found a 2005 G3 175 with all the
bells and whistles. Only 10 times on the water....asking $11,000, but
the bad news...it's sold! But it looks like your price range is
reasonable.

Buying a used boat can be a frustrating experience....you might pass up
the best thing around while looking to do better....or buy the first
thing that looks good to you, and find out later that there was a real
winner for sale around the corner .

Reckon it's a matter of utility.....how soon and how bad ya want the
thing.

I would try all the bass sites around there to see what's offered....but
you are probably doing that already.

I wouldn't rule out central or northern Ca., might be a good time for a
buyer up there right now.

Good luck....I'm sure you will enjoy what ever you decide on!

John K

Old January 5th, 2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

From: (SHRED)
[...]

Thanks John.

OBTW: I finally met your son over at Henry's one day. Of course we talk
about bass fishing. I will try to reach him tomorrow. I want to tell him
what I am looking for in a boat so he can keep an eye out also.
If you would could you send him my email, or if it's okay with him then
give me his at ted_shred at cox dot net.

Thanks
Ted aka: SHRED
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for the info Bob!
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"SHRED" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

California will get you for the local sales tax when you go to register the
boat. Called "Use Tax". If you buy out of state, list the sales price
higher for the trailer and lower for the boat when splitting up the cost
basis. The local tax man will send you a property tax bill each year on the
boat, but the trailer is $20 for 5 year "Permanent Plates".

Bass boat Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard Bass Fishing 3 March 30th, 2006 09:20 PM
Old Bass Boat Info?? Daniel-San Bass Fishing 4 April 26th, 2005 01:30 PM
Bass boat ? Keith Bass Fishing 2 February 8th, 2005 10:35 PM
fishing/bass boat David Bass Fishing 2 November 16th, 2004 12:06 AM
Looking for small bass boat bpn Bass Fishing 3 January 9th, 2004 03:51 PM