bleed out problem

Old September 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Default bleed out problem

Hi All,

I have caught about 60 trout out of my favorite
river this year. I have noticed on two trout
this year that I hooked in the lower mouth to
the side of their tongue, that they act completely
normal -- jumping, running, splashing around, dirty
looks -- until I pull my TMC 200BL size 12 barbless
hook out of their mouth.

Then, suddenly, they bleed like hell (a lot of blood),
roll over on their back and act really weird. I
pushed both of them out of the water with my rod tip.
They manager a little wiggle here and there but
no forward movement. (They both wound up on my
dinner table.)

Anyone know enough about trout anatomy to say what
is going on here? Did I puncture a main artery
and the hook just kept it plugged? Did
pulling the plug stun them? Any ideas?

It is better than gut hooking the other 58 with
bait, but I am a bit puzzled. Maybe the Lord
wants me to eat a few of them every so often.
He did make them awfully yummy after all.

Many thanks,
-T
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Todd wrote:
snip
Maybe the Lord
wants me to eat a few of them every so often.
He did make them awfully yummy after all.

The Lord wants you to become a Democrat and campaign for
your president who is the best advocate for Christian values
this country has seen in many years.

Many thanks,

You're welcome.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

You're welcome.

:-)
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
The Lord wants you to become a Democrat and campaign for
your president who is the best advocate for Christian values
this country has seen in many years.

Ken,

You really, really need to go fishing! (Me too!)

-T
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 6, 6:11*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I have caught about 60 trout out of my favorite
river this year. *I have noticed on two trout
this year that I hooked in the lower mouth to
the side of their tongue, that they act completely
normal -- jumping, running, splashing around, dirty
looks -- until I pull my TMC 200BL size 12 barbless
hook out of their mouth.

Then, suddenly, they bleed like hell (a lot of blood),
roll over on their back and act really weird. *I
pushed both of them out of the water with my rod tip.
They manager a little wiggle here and there but
no forward movement. *(They both wound up on my
dinner table.)

Anyone know enough about trout anatomy to say what
is going on here?

The short answer: No.

Did I puncture a main artery
and the hook just kept it plugged?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Did pulling the plug stun them?

Probably not.

Any ideas?

One thing you'd think we would never run short of here. The problem
is that there are really only half a dozen or so (and 95% of those are
undeniably bad) that are continuously recycled in various transparent
guises.

It is better than gut hooking the other 58 with
bait,

Depends on the intended goal.

but I am a bit puzzled.

Knowing that puts you far ahead of the vast majority of your erstwhile
tutors.

Maybe the Lord
wants me to eat a few of them every so often.

You'll have to ask the Lord.....or her spokespersons.....about that.

He did make them awfully yummy after all.

She didn't make them at all, after all. She just has some effective
press agents.....which is to say that she has an acutely credulous
audience.

Many thanks,

You're welcome.

Meanwhile, a couple of points which may or may not be worth
considering. First, fish don't have fingers.....or none that anyone
has noticed and reported in the scientific literature thus far,
anyway. Visual, auditory and olfactory equipment are fairly standard
(insofar as we can assume they are correctly identified and
understood) for vertebrates. Likewise, tactile gear presents no
obvious and immediately observable surprises. The simple fact is that
once fish have discovered a foodlike substance, or what appears to be
such, final confirmation.....or rejection.....would appear to depend
on what we can call, for simplicity's sake, tactile and flavor
receptors in, on, and around the tongue. I, for one, would not be
much surprised if this correlated with a high degree of
vascularization and ennervation in and around the region of the tongue
(for reasons that should be immediately obvious to anyone who feels
even remotely qualified to consider such issues.....let alone hold
forth on them). Thus, it would also be no surprise if a sharp steel
barb penetrating membranes in this region caused a good deal of
distress.....and bleeding. Beyond that, it wouldn't be quiet accurate
(or even marginally so) to say that anyone's guess is as good as
anyone else's......but it would certainly be fair to say that most
would be just as puerile as most others.

That said, I'd guess that exhaustion (however one cares to define it)
plays a larger role in the behavior of fish immediately after the kind
of struggle entailed in trying to escape after being hooked than does
bleeding. In the long run, bleeding MAY be a greater cause of
mortality than other physiological stresses or damage but.....nobody
here (or anywhere else, I suspect) knows.

Others may disagree. In fact, many will. That's all well and good.
It is, in fact, the way things should be. However, it pays to
remember that where Usenet is concerned, most of those others will be
ignorant (not only in terms of the matters under consideration here,
but also in general), uninterested in discussion (not to mention being
bereft of any idea of what discussion entails), and phenomenally
stupid. All of which can easily be understood if one remembers that
they come here primarily to find someone to hate more than they do
themselves......which, naturally, causes them perpetual consternation.

In any case, the fish die.....or they don't. If you're really
interested in which is the more likely outcome.....and why.....you're
going to have to get yourself something a whole lot better than a mere
PhD in icthyology.

g.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey

In message
,
Giles writes
On Sep 6, 6:11*pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

In short (if you know what that means) - you don't know the answer to
his question!
--
Bill Grey

Old September 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:11:46 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

I'd guess that you hit an artery. I have the same thing happen a
couple of times every year, usually on smaller fish. Its always a
shock when it happens. I've only had it happen on trout, BTW. Never on
bass or panfish. Since most of the fish I've had this happen to are of
illegal length they end up dining with the crayfish.

Geo. C.
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

Giles offered
Others may disagree. In fact, many will. That's all well and good.
It is, in fact, the way things should be. However, it pays to
remember that where Usenet is concerned, most of those others will be
ignorant (not only in terms of the matters under consideration here,
but also in general), uninterested in discussion (not to mention being
bereft of any idea of what discussion entails), and phenomenally
stupid. All of which can easily be understood if one remembers that
they come here primarily to find someone to hate more than they do
themselves......which, naturally, causes them perpetual consternation.

In any case, the fish die.....or they don't. If you're really
interested in which is the more likely outcome.....and why.....you're
going to have to get yourself something a whole lot better than a mere
PhD in icthyology.

Joe the Elder thinks---pretty heavy stuff for an early rainy morning
reading--never realized the small salvelinus fontinalis I pursue have
so many parts? Most of the ones I seek just flee under a rock and
later become food for kingfisher, raccoon, and water snakes.
My N.C. wildlife folks now stock only with triploid brook trout and
will not consider stocking trout on top of wildtrout populations, so I
have fewer and fewer days where I closely get to study the death of
fish !

Old September 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Giles wrote:

Depends on the intended goal.

Catch and release. Unless I injure one too
badly, then you eat what you kill. (Bait
does not count.)

Maybe the Lord
wants me to eat a few of them every so often.

You'll have to ask the Lord.....or her spokespersons.....about that.

In English, "he" is both masculine and neuter. So, if I can put up with
being called an "it" ... Anyway, I doubt the Lord has a gender.
so in English, "he" would be the proper title. Unless you just
want to be politically correct or quarrelsome.

You would love German. A girl is referred to in the neuter (Das
Mädchen) until she gets married (Die Frau). I can see the
steam coming off the foreheads of the politically correct crowd
right now.

He did make them awfully yummy after all.

She didn't make them at all, after all. She just has some effective
press agents.....which is to say that she has an acutely credulous
audience.

Have you looked at a trout really closely lately? This is
my father's (and yours) doing. It breaks my heart when others
look into the eyes of nature and do not see or are not
humbled by enormity and wonder of the lord's hands. It
breaks my heart.

-T
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-09-07 13:02:01 -0400, Todd said:

You would love German.

splork-mu-vang