Hackle gauge

Old November 15th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Thomas Schreiber

Default Hackle gauge

"Bill C" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know where I can find a printable copy of a hackle gauge.

Thanks
Bill

Maybe you can use this for something
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=276485

--

Tight lines
Thomas Schreiber - DK

http://schreiber.se

Old November 16th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Thomas Littleton

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
This
balances the fly nicely on a table top.

unless fishing on the harder winter waters of New England, that is not how
the fly floats, however. If you have doubts, get some water(unmixed with
scotch), lob
some dry flies in and watch the way they float.

The 'standard' hooks have a gape
about half the shank length, so this works out nicely. I don't change the
proportions for hooks with bigger or smaller gapes, do you?

I change the proportions based on what I want the fly to do after it lands,
or as it is landing. Within a given style, I
keep the proportions the same.

FWIW, I size my hackles on a gauge. When I'm pulling them off the skin (I
only do as many as I'm using), if I get any that are bigger or smaller

than
I want, I put them in a labelled baggie that I keep in the bag with the

neck
for future use. When I want to tie some size 14s and I find 4 already

sized
hackles, I feel like somebody gave me a present...

Same here, but I keep taking from the "presents" and when I really need a
dozen size 16 dun hackles, the freaking bag is invariably short.

Tom

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Stan Gula

Thomas Littleton wrote:
"Stan Gula" wrote in message
This balances the fly nicely on a table top.

unless fishing on the harder winter waters of New England, that is
not how the fly floats, however. If you have doubts, get some
water(unmixed with scotch), lob
some dry flies in and watch the way they float.

Exactly. I was taught by a couple of ex-Orvis tyers. They were very
serious about the standard Catskill dimensions. For a generic Catskill
hackled dry, the table test works well (it also sells flies I would think).
Old Jim and Big Jim (as opposed to Little Jim) would take your flies and
toss them in the air. If they landed upright and balanced on the hackle
tips and the tip of the tail, with the point of the hook just touching the
table, then they would say you got it right.

I agree that this is only for *standard* patterns. The bug is the model,
not the table balancing act.

The three mayflies I use up here are all standard. The damned huge pile I
tie for Penns, well, lets say there a lot of deviant flies you have down
there.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:07 AM
vincent p. norris

Hackle tips must extend past the gape on just about every dry fly I've ever tied.

After fly filshing for about 75 years (no exaggeration!), George
Harvey started tying his dry flies with hackle a couple of sizes too
SMALL! E.g., using #18 hackle on a #14 fly. Said it works great!

vince