Va or W. Va suggestions needed.. please!

Old January 7th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Bill McDonald

Default Va or W. Va suggestions needed.. please!

I'm orignally from upstate NY and got my feet wet in FF'n 15 years ago
for only a couple of years and then moved away. Started getting back
into by trekks back up to NY twice a year to TRY and get back to it
with a few old friends that want to learn more. Well, after 3 trips
north, they're (2) looking for me to plan a mini-clave down my way.
I'm in Richmond so I'll conceede to Shanandoa or even West Virginia
but since i've not fished this area much I'm looking for some
assistance.
We typically fish the Beaverkill in NY just downstream from Russell
Brook where we camp (highly recommended for laid back camping) plus
the We'moc, Fir Brook & Lil Beaver. One of the guys brings a pop-up
and Russell brook is within spittin distance. For this trip I'd like
to try and recreate the same type of setting with some opportunity to
fish different waters, with the chance of catching some decent fish of
course. If'n anyone has any suggestions, or wanna hook up, give a
yell on this forum or use the posted email addy.

I aint afeared of no spam...
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Kiyu

On 6 Jan 2004 19:48:13 -0800, (Bill McDonald) wrote:

snip
Hook up with these guys at the Capital Chapter of Trout Unlimited.
http://www.cvco.org/science/troutun/vcc.html
They are good folks and can steer you onto the type of fishing you
want to do.

You can follow the fishing links at
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/
The Virginia Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries.

You might try subscribing to their magazine Virginia Wildlife. It is
13 bucks for 12 issues - the best investment you could make.
The January issue is their annual Trout Guide and you can probably
pick it up locally. Has maps of all the trout fisheries in the state.
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/va-wildl...nuary2003.html

And think small streams - it is your closest fishing and the best
possible classroom although you are not likely to be equiped for it
having set up for the larger waters of the Catskills. (7 ft rods)

I won't make any recommendations to you as I now seldom fish more than
one stream in the state and I don't know the current condition of many
of the others. The folks at your local TU chapter will be your best
bet for info.

Kiyu

Old January 7th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Wayne

Bill,

I would suggest either a cabin along the Shenandoah River near
Edinburg Va. with smallmouth bass out your front door, camper parking
in the yard and several native Brook Trout streams in short drive
distance and several stocked streams with good sized Rainbow Trout
even closer. OR, a camping spot along the Jackson River. Excellent
Brown and Rainbow fishing out your front door and native Brookies a
little further away. Primative camp site in national forest.

Wayne (Fredericksburg area)
to fish is human....to release Divine!!!