Palmering

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Peter Charles

Default Palmering

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:33:43 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

When I tie Wooly Buggers, the hackle fibers inevitably end up either
vertical at best, or more commonly pointing forward. I've tried twisting
them as I wind them around to get them to lay back, and have tried tying
them on several different ways: with the stripped nub over the top of the
shaft, under it, parallel to it etc., and have experimented with how I
orient the curve of the hackle. I'm missing something, as I just cannot get
the palmered hackle to lay the right way; pointing backwards down the fly.
What's the trick?

--riverman

Who says that pointing forward is wrong?

Think about the action . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Ed Gildone \(cox\)

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
Who says that pointing forward is wrong?

Think about the action . . . .

Peter

Yes, I believe the trout is the final judge...

Ed

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Conan the Librarian

riverman wrote:

Yes, thats the correct method, but I keep breaking them that way. I hate
that...gotta get a lighter touch.

FWIW, I tie the hackle in by the tip as well. I tie it slightly
forward of the tail and take a wrap or two of the chenille behind it
before wrappping the chenille forward.

Another thing you could try would be to strip the hackles off one
side of the feather and tie it in that way. It makes for a less-dense
hackle and it's much easier to control that way, IMHO.

On another track...I just tied up my first #12 Red Humpy. Didn't have any
antron for the body, so I sliced up some red marabou and dubbed with
it....that part came out pretty nice. However, getting the 'wings' to sit up
in a nice tight little package was very hard, as they seem to want to spin
out into a fuzzball. And judging the length of deerhair to tie on so that it
makes the wing cases and wings the right length is nutso. My first humpy
looks more like a big grey burdock with a hangover.

Humpies are a true PIA to tie. But, Harry Mason has the tips you
need to know for getting the tail/shellback/wing proportions right:
http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/humpy/

Chuck Vance (whose humpies look like hairy Quasimodos)

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM
riverman

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
Humpies are a true PIA to tie. But, Harry Mason has the tips you need
to know for getting the tail/shellback/wing proportions right:
http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/humpy/

Nice site, thanks. But his aren't doing what mine do: even when I tie on the
tail, the fibers flare up and 'spin' with the slightest tightening of the
thread. If I were to tie it so that the tail stayed together like his do,
they would fall off of the fly!

I'm going to practice some more, and if I can't get it, I'm gonna start
tying streaking caddises!

--riverman

Old October 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Mike Connor

"riverman" wrote in message

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
Humpies are a true PIA to tie. But, Harry Mason has the tips you

need
to know for getting the tail/shellback/wing proportions right:
http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/humpy/

Nice site, thanks. But his aren't doing what mine do: even when I tie on

the
tail, the fibers flare up and 'spin' with the slightest tightening of the
thread. If I were to tie it so that the tail stayed together like his do,
they would fall off of the fly!

I'm going to practice some more, and if I can't get it, I'm gonna start
tying streaking caddises!

--riverman

You need the right hair for such flies. The (non-flaring, because
non-compressing) tips are used for the tail.

QUOTE

5. Selecting hair is a matter of deciding what you are going to do with the
hair. You have two basic operations with deer or elk hair -- wings or tails
and spinning. The best hair for wings and tails on flies like humpies,
Wulffs, compara duns, etc is located (a strip about a foot wide) on the
animal along the back bone, down over the shoulder, and down over the rump.
The best hair for flaring or spinning is located on the rib and belly of the
animal. Seldom to we get the opportunity to select hair from a complete
hide. Usually we are searching through a group of 3"x5" plastic bags in a
fly shop hoping we will get usable hair and later finding the hair does not
fill our needs. Here's what you look for when selecting hair that is already
packaged. The hair fibers located near the back bone of the animal has a
dark gray band in the middle of each -- the hair fiber is colored starting
with a dark point on the tip followed by a tan (deer) or cream (elk) section
directly below the dark tip. From there the hair fiber enters a dark gray
area which eventually fades to a light gray area where the hair fiber joins
the animal's hide. For wings and tail you need hair the is at least 50% dark
grey in the middle of the hair. On the other hand if you are spinning hair
you want hair fibers whose middle section is mostly light grey in color.
REMEMBER -- dark gray hair, wings & tails --- light gray hair, spinning or
flaring. Back to the index.

UNQUOTE

Courtesy of http://www.btsflyfishing.com/Tips_Tricks/TT.htm

There is a lot more info on the web on selecting hair etc, a google search
will turn up a lot of stuff. It is more or less impossible to tie such
flies correctly with the wrong materials, as they simply will not function
properly.

TL
MC

Old October 20th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Scott Seidman

"riverman" wrote in
:

Nice site, thanks. But his aren't doing what mine do: even when I tie
on the tail, the fibers flare up and 'spin' with the slightest
tightening of the thread. If I were to tie it so that the tail stayed
together like his do, they would fall off of the fly!

Try starting w/ looser wraps at the back of the tail, and tightening up as
you move toward the head when you tie down the tail. There are some cases
where "tight as you can get without breaking the thread" is the wrong way
to go.

Scott