knotted leaders

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Default knotted leaders

I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort
that it takes to make them?

Ed
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

egildone wrote:
I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort
that it takes to make them?

Ed

IMO, it's not worth the effort for ordinary trout fishing. I use 7.5' or
(or less often 9') Rio store-bought tapered leaders (ordinary mono --
not fluorocarbon) and tie on some tippet. They last quite a while.

I tie my own sal****er leaders.

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"egildone" wrote in message
I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort that it
takes to make them?

Ed

Ed, I like Mr. Vang, like to tie my own leaders. I use a well worn and
tattered copy of Orvis' "Notes to Fly Fishermen about Leaders." My father
used this leader formula booklet to tie his own leaders and I have found it
very useful, as well. I like especially long leaders for my trout fishing.
Sometimes tying them over 12 feet.

The booklet incorporates a tippet size to hook size chart, leader formulas
for: Sal****er, Salmon, Steelhead, and Bass Bug Leaders--Extra light to
Extra Heavy formulas; Tapered Trout Leaders in lengths from 7 1/2 ft., 9 ft.
and 12 ft. and diameters from 0X to 7X. A section for building 9 and 12 ft.
Light Butt Leaders for 3 & 4 Weight Lines. A few important knots are also
illustrated. A section on "Special 6 ft. Leader for Sink Tip and Sinking
Lines," from 0X to 5X diameters.

I've not been able to find this booklet on-line, and suspect it was sent out
with their tippet spools selection, which apparently they no longer sell?

I'd be more than happy to send you a copy of my booklet, if you send me your
snail mail addy, via email.

Also, someone posted this site many moons ago:
http://flyfisherman.com/skills/brleadercalc/

I've not used this sites formulas, yet, but suspect it might be useful to
folks interested in tying their own leaders.

HTH

I guess I have decided against going to work today, as it's well past the
time I should have headed up the mountain :~^ )

Op --Mark H. Bowen beausdad *at* charter *dot* net--

Old December 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cabin Fever

egildone wrote:

I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many roff
members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the effort
that it takes to make them?

Ed

You can buy them cheap enough and just replace the broken tippets. But
some die hard purists prefer to tie their own. Whatever you do, coat the
knot(s) with clear nail polish.

--
Chris Fleitman
Long Island

"The best fly fishing occurs in print" - Famous fly fishing editor
(whatever his name was)
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Cabin Fever typed:
egildone wrote:
I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many
roff members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the
effort that it takes to make them?

You can buy them cheap enough and just replace the broken tippets. But
some die hard purists prefer to tie their own.

I have tied my own and I've used tapered. My desire to tie my own had
nothing to do with being a "purist", but wanting to do it just to do it. I
don't see this any differently than tying flies or building a fly rod, as I
wouldn't do either to save money. In my personal experience, I found the
leaders I tied turn over a bit better than the tapered ones. That said, I
use both - mainly due to laziness.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Cabin Fever" -sucks-moose-balls. wrote in message

You can buy them cheap enough and just replace the broken tippets. But
some die hard purists prefer to tie their own. Whatever you do, coat the
knot(s) with clear nail polish.

I don't tie my own for "purist" reasons. I do it, primarily, because I can
count back to where the leader/tippet broke-off last, and that way I can
always tie back the same diameter tippet material and maintain my taper.
Just like Tim, I am lazy, so I also use drawn tapered leaders, too.

--
Chris Fleitman
Long Island

"The best fly fishing occurs in print" - Famous fly fishing editor
(whatever his name was)

Evidently, this famous editor did more editing than he did fly fishing!

Op

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cabin Fever

Tim J. wrote:
Cabin Fever typed:

egildone wrote:

I have been looking at making hand made leaders and wonder how many
roff members make handmade knotted leaders and are they worth the
effort that it takes to make them?

You can buy them cheap enough and just replace the broken tippets. But
some die hard purists prefer to tie their own.

I have tied my own and I've used tapered. My desire to tie my own had
nothing to do with being a "purist", but wanting to do it just to do it.

That 'purist' bit wasn't meant to offend and I hope it didn't. I was
just suggesting that some purists do it. I tried to tie my own leaders
but my knots weren't always up to par, plus when fished I remember
clumps of crap getting caught on my knots (I fish mainly ponds and small
lakes in the warmer months where there is a lot of floating schmutts).

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Cabin Fever

Opus wrote:

"Cabin Fever" -sucks-moose-balls. wrote in message

You can buy them cheap enough and just replace the broken tippets. But
some die hard purists prefer to tie their own. Whatever you do, coat the
knot(s) with clear nail polish.

I don't tie my own for "purist" reasons. I do it, primarily, because I can
count back to where the leader/tippet broke-off last, and that way I can
always tie back the same diameter tippet material and maintain my taper.
Just like Tim, I am lazy, so I also use drawn tapered leaders, too.

--
Chris Fleitman
Long Island

"The best fly fishing occurs in print" - Famous fly fishing editor
(whatever his name was)

Evidently, this famous editor did more editing than he did fly fishing!

I thought the same thing. He's was probably a big city guy with little
fishing access or a very very good writer. I say the former.

The quote I found somewhere on this site.
http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Erik

"The best fly fishing occurs in print" - Famous fly fishing editor
(whatever his name was)

Evidently, this famous editor did more editing than he did fly fishing!

It was Arnold Gingrich - and how right he was/is :
"Some of the best fly fishing occurs in print"