Christmas, rods, etc etc

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Mike Connor

Default Christmas, rods, etc etc

Von:Willi )
Betrifft: Matching reel and line/rod weights. What can one get away with?

View this article only
Newsgroups:rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Datum:2003-12-02 13:03:03 PST

Mike Connor wrote:

Most problems with reels, at least in regard to the perceived weight,
arise because they are incorrectly attached to the rod, and thus
farther away from the rod hand than they should be.

This struck home to me when I replaced the handle and an uplocking reel
seat on a rod with a new handle and a down locking reel seat. The rod
just didn't feel "right" after this. I reshaped the new grip so it was
the same as the old one. This helped a little but it just didn't feel
the way it should. Well, recently I drove off with this rod laying on
the roof of my truck resulting in a lost rod. So I built another one on
the same blank, this time with an up locking seat. Much more comfortable.

In the majority of cases, the lightest reel suitable for the task at
hand is the best choice.

At least for a trout outfit, I agree.

Willi

Folgetext zu diesem Beitrag schreiben

Many years ago now, a friend of mine demonstrated most conclusively to me,
how important it was to have the reel as close to the rod hand as possible.
I like the reel to be almost touching the heel of my hand, or even brushing
my small finger. I have modified quite a few butts and reels seats, (reel
seat lengthened and offset!, butt shortened), to facilitate this. It makes
a massive difference to the feel of a rod. In some cases, with heavy reels,
I have my rod hand exactly level with the reel ( modified reel feet!).
Usually in such cases, I grip the rod so that the reel foot is between my
small finger and my ring finger. This invariably also necessitates a butt
modification, ( and possibly a reel foot modification), so that one´s hand
is actually on cork, and not on the reel seat itself. It is well worth doing
though. One may glue in "split" cork rings to achieve this.

Most commercial rods have the reel set too far away from the grip, the butts
are too long anyway, amd shaped incorrectly for correct grip at the right
position. They are also often to "slim", making them difficult to grip
properly. As I have small hands, this is not usually such a problem for me,
but it can be for many others.

Should you wish a most conclusive demonstration, then use a spinning rod
with a fixed spool reel. Grip the rod below the reel, and the rod feels
heavy, amd control is lost. The same applies when the rod is gripped above
the reel. The best "feel" and control are obtained when the hand is exactly
level with the reel. The same applies to fly reels. The effect is quite
amazing, and will influence casting etc very considerably.

Anybody having trouble with "balance" or "feel" should experiment in this
direction. Some beginners have been quite astounded at the difference this
makes.

TL
MC

Von:walt winter )
Betrifft:Retopic: merry christmas mike... was Giant stream cleats?
Dies ist der einzige Artikel zu diesem Diskussionsthema
Newsgroups:rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Datum:2003-12-02 18:02:33 PST

Mike Connor wrote:
I use these on my felts, for rock, ice etc;

http://www.samson-web.ch/rshandel/schuhketten.html

This is a German site, but you should be able to find something
similar in the States.

TL
MC

good to see ya kickin' mike.... damn good to see ya back.

wally

Thanks Walt! I have a rather flaky server, and google is not exactly
convenient, so I see some posts very late, or even not at all it seems.

TL
MC
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mike Connor wrote:

Anybody having trouble with "balance" or "feel" should experiment in this
direction. Some beginners have been quite astounded at the difference this
makes.

related item, see:

http://www.anglersroost.net/BThandle.html
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Peter Charles

On 4 Dec 2003 09:18:14 -0800, (Mike Connor)
wrote:

[...]

This is partly the cause of the problem with the 9 wt. that I alluded
to in a prior post. The reel is set fairly far away from the hand and
if I went to the heavier reel, it set up a pendulum effect that caused
an annoying kick on the power snap. It also moved the centre of
gravity to about the heel of my hand. The two effects combined made
it less pleasant to cast. The lighter reel didn't cause a problem.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at
http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Bob Weinberger

"Mike Connor" wrote in message
om...

snip
Many years ago now, a friend of mine demonstrated most conclusively to me,
how important it was to have the reel as close to the rod hand as possible.
I like the reel to be almost touching the heel of my hand, or even brushing
my small finger.

snip

And here all these years I thought that I was doing something wrong ( especially when steelheading,
which requires rather long casts) as I have habitually crowded the reel with my hand - so much so that
I have developed a callous on the outside of the little finger on my right hand.

--
Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR

Remove "invalid" and place a dot between bobs and stuff to reply email

Old December 5th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Mike Connor

"Bob Weinberger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

And here all these years I thought that I was doing something wrong (

especially when steelheading,
which requires rather long casts) as I have habitually crowded the reel

with my hand - so much so that
I have developed a callous on the outside of the little finger on my right

hand.

--
Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR

Surprising how many people think the same! People who have cast my "short
butt/Offset reel" rigs, are always amazed at the difference it makes, even
though they all say it "looks funny".

If as you say, you "crowd the reel" habitually, then consider the butt
modification which was posted before
http://www.anglersroost.net/BThandle.html

and an offset reel foot. Although the "Ari T´hart" designer reels depicted
at the links in the earlier post tend to be rather expensive. Doubtless you
will be surprised and pleased at the results! Nearly everybody I have shown
it to was enthusiastic.

Before I more or less ceased fishing etc, some time ago now, I modified a
fair number of rods and reels for various people, after they had tried mine.
They were all delighted at the results.

This system works well for any type of casting, but for the more modern
"Straight Line Path" casting, it is of very considerable advantage.

TL
MC

Old December 5th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Mike Connor

If as you say, you "crowd the reel" habitually, then consider the butt
modification which was posted before
http://www.anglersroost.net/BThandle.html

By the way, the modification is quite easy to do, although more difficult
if you have a downlocking reel seat. ( a screw type seat is of course
essential). Just get a couple of cork rings from your tackle shop, split
them, and glue them over the seat as required.

If you just want to try it out, use foam or similar, and tape it to the
seat. I guarantee you will not go back to the old system after trying it.

TL
MC