possible virus attack--please help

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default possible virus attack--please help

hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

in trouble in the old north state

wayno
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

wayno wrote in...
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

Sounds a lot like the Antivirus XP crap -- malwarebytes.org has a great tool
for this:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

D/L the free version (license is a few usages), and see what happens.

Good luck

-Dan

(If all else fails, do a system restore back a week or two)

Old May 16th, 2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 15, 7:07*pm, rw wrote:
wrote:
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

1. Click on "yes."

2. You will be directed to a website. Ignore any grammatical errors, you
elitist pig. These things are outsourced to Tajikistan. What do you expect?

3. Fill in your credit card information. Don't forget the date of
expiration, the security code, and the available balance (just for
security purposes). You also must supply the root password of your computer.

4. Click "I agree."

5. A Microsoft Security Patch will automatically install and your
worries are over.

meanie.

yfitons
wayno
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 15, 6:26*pm, Ken Fortenberry
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

Start using your caps key. And buy a Mac.

Problem solved.

--
Ken Fortenberry

i'd rather wear blue and orange underwear and apologize to
beancounter than follow either suggestion.

yfitons
wayno
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article
,
" writes
On May 15, 6:26*pm, Ken Fortenberry
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

Start using your caps key. And buy a Mac.

Problem solved.

--
Ken Fortenberry

i'd rather wear blue and orange underwear and apologize to
beancounter than follow either suggestion.

yfitons
wayno

Download AVG (free) and it will trap any virus and isolate it for you to
delete.

Excellent bit of software.
--
Bill Grey

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:58:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

in trouble in the old north state

wayno

Daniel's advice on malwarebytes is good - it will take of the problem (yes, it's
a virus/trojan, and it is fairly well-known by a couple of names). Run the full
scan, follow the instructions incl. rebooting, and re-run the full scan. Also,
download the latest security patch/"malicious software removal tool" (if you are
running XP, 2000, Vista). FWIW, to both you and Bill Grey, AVG didn't catch it
on some of our machines, but I do like AVG Free (Grisoft) in general for basic
security. If you want chapter and verse on manual removal - it involves editing
the registry, so be careful, Google "spyware protect 2009" and you'll find more
than you want to know. Again, I'd agree with Daniel and simply get
malwarebytes.

YFCOTGC,
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Osmo Jauhiainen[_3_]

Those are painfull and not easy to remove.

I have earlier encountered similar problems.

They are trying to sell something which may bring up new problems.

Osmo