Found some more

Old September 28th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Chris Rennert

Default Found some more

Well, got a chance to go out tonight after work, and right after I
launched I noticed seagulls in the air and dive bombing and all I could
do was smile. From 5pm to 7pm I landed 7, and 5 of them were legal, so
I finally got a limit. They measured (16.5", 16", 16", 14" , 14") , so
not a huge limit, and I jumped off another about 15". Landed 2 legals
on a Yo-zuri rattln vide, 2 on a Rapala DT6 (lost it on another fish
that probably was legal, but never saw it, damn zebra mussels), and then
the 5th came on a 3" Storm Swim bait in gizzard shad pattern.

Good times, one thing, the wind was blowing really good out of the
south, probably close to 10mph, and the fish were on fire, right at dark
the wind laid down, and the fish disappeared. Tried some black rattl
traps, black buzzbait, #13 rapala, and not a swirl. We have about 6"
visibility right now, so maybe a glow in the dark rattl trap. Who
knows, any suggestions???

Thanks again everyone!

Chris
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Joe Haubenreich

When you see bass corralling the shad at the surface, try running a buzzbait
across the commotion. The dark silhouette and sputtering, burbling blades
draw strikes marauding bass -- even the bigger ones that are hunkering down
below the ball of shad, picking off the wounded prey.

I've had pretty good results, too, from running a spinnerbait across the
surface, and then killing it in the middle of the school and letting the
blade(s) rotate as the bait drops down on a semi-taut line. Let it run on
down about ten seconds or more, the rip it back upwards.

It helps to use a spinnerbait brand where the lure body remains horizontal
on the drop instead of nose-diving, and with the blades rotating freely
above.

Joe
_______________________
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
snip
Who knows, any suggestions???

Thanks again everyone!

Chris

Old September 30th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Chris Rennert

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
[...]

I am thinking I will have to order a couple black buzzbaits and
Spinnerbaits for those situations. One problem I am having is the lack
of darker color baits. I know the prey don't change color , but I would
still like to make my bait standout at night. I caught 3 more legals
last night in 45 degree weather and 30mph gusts :-), good times. Only
caught 1 legal and 4 shorts tonight, but maybe the 37 degrees last night
effected them a bit. Steve probably had it even worse :-).

Thanks for the tips Joe!
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Joe Haubenreich

Funny how regional preferences differ. In some states, like Louisiana and
Alabama, we have customers who prefer to throw Midnight Snacks all day
long... even in bright, sunny weather. Black and blue jigs have been the
go-to color day and night for many anglers, but for some reason they shy
away from darker colors in spinnerbaits. Maybe its because the jigs stay
near the bottom, where there is less light and the darker shades create a
better contrast, and the spinnerbaits are fished near the surface, where
shad-like colors seem to make more sense. However, bass are upward-looking
fish, and whenever they see a bait passing overhead, it looks pretty dark.

Joe
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 30th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Chris Rennert

Joe Haubenreich wrote:

[...]

Actually,

I prefer black in the middle of the day for just about anything I am
throwing, until I get to this time of year, then I throw primarily shad
colors. Especially with the dark water in the mid-summer I switch
between Pearl , and black, or even a two tone bait. This may be unique
to this system, but I have read other accounts of this, the smallies
here get very very selective on size and type of food they are eating.
This spring, we ran into some smallies, and they would hit "nothing" but
tubes, and crayfish colored crankbaits (any craw imitation really), when
I switch to the same exact crankbait in a shad color, they wouldn't even
touch it, when I went back to crayfish, the bites continued.

I guess my reasoning for the black baits, is just to have some for night
fishing, because it will optimize that opportunity. Not that I wouldn't
throw them during the day, but here it seems that white, and
white/chart. seem to work the best for me when it comes to buzzbaits,
and truthfully I have really switched to throwing swim jigs and
crankbaits in my shallow water situations where i used to throw a
spinnerbait a lot. I have never used Spinnerbaits in a deep water
situation, and I feel I could be missing out on a lot of other
opportunities!

Chris
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:43 AM
Ronnie Garrison

Joe Haubenreich wrote:
Funny how regional preferences differ. In some states, like Louisiana and
Alabama, we have customers who prefer to throw Midnight Snacks all day
long... even in bright, sunny weather. Black and blue jigs have been the
go-to color day and night for many anglers, but for some reason they shy
away from darker colors in spinnerbaits. Maybe its because the jigs stay
near the bottom, where there is less light and the darker shades create a
better contrast, and the spinnerbaits are fished near the surface, where
shad-like colors seem to make more sense. However, bass are upward-looking
fish, and whenever they see a bait passing overhead, it looks pretty dark.

I always figured it was because a jig is supposed to look like a
crawfish or worm on the bottom and they are usually dark colored, and a
spinnerbait looks more like a bait fish, lighter colored.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com