Missing Salmon

Old May 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Frank Reid

Default Missing Salmon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7708591

Chinook fish counts on the Columbia River are down 1/2 to 2/3rds.

--
Frank Reid
Euthenize to respond

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
JR

Frank Reid wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7708591

Chinook fish counts on the Columbia River are down 1/2 to 2/3rds.

And the big debate in these parts is over shooting sea lions that have
taken to hanging out in the fish ladders at the dams.....

JR
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
BJ Conner

You can stop at a number of places along the Columbia between Portland
and Bonneville and buy salmon from native americans. I could never
understand why you couldn't buy a seal skin rug or a steak from them.
I alway though the perfect solution to the "Herschel" problem was to
shoot him and have a seal bar-b-que in the park right at Ballard Locks.

It seems logical if you have the rights to gill net salmon, chase
whales an a log canoe ( with an outboard motor ) then whats a dead seal
( or a dozen or so).
Everything I've read about how good seal taste was written by people
who were hungry enought to eat spegatti-Os and drink budwiser.a

Old May 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Stan

It almost appears as if the Feds are going to ignore the problem,
claiming the Sea Lions take only a small percentage of the salmon
run. However, the smart Sea Lions are now figuring out how to kill the
oversize sturgeon in that area. Seeing these are the breeders, maybe
this will spark some action by the Feds.

Old May 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM
riverman

Stan wrote:
It almost appears as if the Feds are going to ignore the problem,
claiming the Sea Lions take only a small percentage of the salmon
run. However, the smart Sea Lions are now figuring out how to kill

the
oversize sturgeon in that area. Seeing these are the breeders, maybe
this will spark some action by the Feds.

"Whatever happened to all the Salmon around here. There used to be so
many that we caught them by the millions."

Any chance that the 'voracious commercial fishery' is having any
impact, or is it those indians and sea lions to blame?

--riverman

I actually heard a commercial fisherman in Norway tell me that the
worldwide Codfish stocks were depleted primarily because of all the
recreational fishermen catching them from shore.

Old May 8th, 2005, 07:22 AM
chas

"BJ Conner" wrote:
You can stop at a number of places along the Columbia between Portland
and Bonneville and buy salmon from native americans. I could never
understand why you couldn't buy a seal skin rug or a steak from them.
I alway though the perfect solution to the "Herschel" problem was to
shoot him and have a seal bar-b-que in the park right at Ballard Locks.

It seems logical if you have the rights to gill net salmon, chase
whales an a log canoe ( with an outboard motor ) then whats a dead seal
( or a dozen or so).
Everything I've read about how good seal taste was written by people
who were hungry enought to eat spegatti-Os and drink budwiser.a

It turns out sea lions don't tast any good, and the fur is uninteresting as
well. The local tribes couldn't in good conscience kill the beasts because
they knew the carcase would be wasted. We, on the other hand, aren't burdened
with such scruples...

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old May 9th, 2005, 01:30 AM
BJ Conner

Well you can make chilli our of anything.
I once has salmon chili, there's a reason you never hear of it. Seal
chili has to be better.

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Skwala

"chas" wrote in message
news:1115533373.ca48f5705dd75bbd9fed1f1d11feaf05@t eranews...
"BJ Conner" wrote:

It turns out sea lions don't tast any good, and the fur is uninteresting
as
well. The local tribes couldn't in good conscience kill the beasts
because
they knew the carcase would be wasted. We, on the other hand, aren't
burdened
with such scruples...

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I know a few tribal members on various reservations... and I don't think any
would mistake one for an environmentalist.... I know that you will find the
whole spectrum across the reservation population, but to imply that a native
American is inherently a conservationist by nature is something more in tune
with Saturday morning public service commercials than reality.

Although some great work is being done by one tribe in my area to restore
wildlife (driven mainly by the economic value derived), I know just as many
horror stories (such as shooting Bald Eagles for the fun of it and leaving
them where they drop, etc...) that offsets the good.

The reality of the situation is just much more complex than that....

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Wolfgang

"BJ Conner" wrote:

It turns out sea lions don't tast any good, and the fur is uninteresting
as
well. The local tribes couldn't in good conscience kill the beasts
because
they knew the carcase would be wasted. We, on the other hand, aren't
burdened
with such scruples...

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I know a few tribal members on various reservations... and I don't think
any would mistake one for an environmentalist....

Well, which one is that, Sparky? I mean, hell, if one bad apple spoils the
barrel, why don't you just shoot this one and everybody can go their merry
way?

I know that you will find the whole spectrum across the reservation
population, but to imply that a native American is inherently a
conservationist by nature is something more in tune with Saturday morning
public service commercials than reality.

Although some great work is being done by one tribe in my area to restore
wildlife (driven mainly by the economic value derived), I know just as
many horror stories (such as shooting Bald Eagles for the fun of it and
leaving them where they drop, etc...) that offsets the good.

Well.....gosh.....when you put it that way, they sound almost human.

The reality of the situation is just much more complex than that....

True, true.......the pickanninies are just SO ADORABLE!

Wolfgang
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Skwala

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Skwala" wrote in message

snipola:

I know a few tribal members on various reservations... and I don't think
any would mistake one for an environmentalist....

Well, which one is that, Sparky? I mean, hell, if one bad apple spoils
the barrel, why don't you just shoot this one and everybody can go their
merry way?

Sparky? who really talks like that? sheesh...
If you want to start shooting someone, I vote you start with people that
illegally plant Pike and Walleye in trout waters.

Well.....gosh.....when you put it that way, they sound almost human.

True, true.......the pickanninies are just SO ADORABLE!

Wolfgang
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ahhh, the race card... nice.

I make a comment on political and economic practices I've experienced with a
few Native Americans, and you pull out the race card.

What's the matter, did I brush up against some cherished myth of yours?

Here's a question, What politico/economic corporation has done the most to
restore wildlife since the '70's; your average NW Tribal group, or the
Bonneville Power Administration?

Here's another question; Has the Boldt Decision
(http://www.propertyrightsresearch.or...t_decision.htm) enhanced
or hindered Salmon conservation?