Underwater Cameras?

Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike

Default Underwater Cameras?

Does anyone have any experience with the underwater cameras/viewers that you
can read from the boat. I was considering one mainly for finding structure
and bottom make-up. I'd like help with if they are useful and the pros and
cons of various units. Thanks, Mike

Old November 28th, 2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jim Laumann

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:03:09 -0500, "Mike" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the underwater cameras/viewers that you
can read from the boat. I was considering one mainly for finding structure
and bottom make-up. I'd like help with if they are useful and the pros and
cons of various units. Thanks, Mike

Mike

Since no one else responded - least wise that I see on my news server,
so I'll take a stab. I just got one of the original series Aqua-Vu's -
found it in the for-sale section of one of the other fishing sites I
monitor.

Doesn't have all the features of the current series - but didn't have
the price tag either.

Most of the regulars here know that I am an ice guy - I live in the
not-so-right-now-but-soon-to-be frozen tundra. I've got better sonars
for on the ice than in my boat - but I digress.....

I got the camera so I can see what is down there. W/ my sonars,
I can see the bottom - and what it is (hard/soft) - and the fish / my
lure. What I can't see is what the bottom is made from - muck - sand -
rock, etc, nor what kind of fish are down there, or how the fish react
to my offering.

I've had my camera out once (so far) - took it to a near by stream,
and lowered it off the bridge into the water. Since the water has
turned over, visability was very good - could see fish and identify
them out to what I am guessing is 5-6' away - after that things got
blurry - but could make out shapes - ie the columns in the water for
the bridge.

I would speculate that over the side of the boat sitting still would
be similar - allowing for seasonal water changes - but moving - even
w/ a TM could be hard to follow / see - even w/ a larger monitor. Also
would have the danger of crashing the head in to the bottom - rocks,
etc.

Could make out the bottom - sand - and as I moved closer to the banks,
rip-rap. The current was moving small bits of organic matter - could
pick them out.

The camera head did not seem to bother the fish while on the shady
side of the bridge - found a big pod of Carp near the bridge columns,
and a Northern Pike along the rip-rap. When I moved to the sunny side
of the bridge I did spook a Carp when I tried to turn the camera to
fast. This was about 10-12 days ago, and w/ the sunshine and
mild temps we had, you would have thought the fish would have
been in the warmer water, but they weren't.

If spooking fish becomes a issue, I may find a spearing decoy (a
method of fishing on the ice), and try attaching it to the lead
weight, see if helps.

One of the things I've read about using cameras is that they are a
daylight tool. The guy I bought this unit from also told me this. My
unit has IR lights - the newer units have various "tweaks" at lights -
one of the brands (Marcum or Aqua-Vu) is promoting "spectral" lighting
- but I can't say what it does / how it works.

Cameras themselves vary - mine is just a round cylinder in a black
rubber jacket. Has a lead weight for ballast. The newer Aqua-Vu's
are shaped like a fish and colored - ie perch, bluegill, etc. Some
guys that have those indicate that they (fish shapes) have attracted
the attention of toothy critters. My enounter w/ the NP got the camera
a good staring, but that was it.

Another option is a "quadrant" set up - where there are 4 lens in the
head, each lens has section of the screen - so 4 images from 4
directions - me - I got to twist the cable.

Some of the fishing magazine articles (ie In Fisherman) mentioned down
viewing - pointing the lens down to view - I rigged mine up to to so -
don't have it quite right yet - it hangs at a slight angle. I prefer
the "normal" mode.

My screen is tiny - maybe 4" - and sits inside a big plastic sunshield
- put your head down and look in. The newer units have 7" +/- tv
screens and zip down/up sunscreens.

For power, all the units I've seen and read about use the 7A gel cell
batteries - but any 12V source will suffice.

Some guys - w/ "permanent" ice houses - who have the luxury of larger
TV's and VCR's - hook their camera up to them for recording. The guy I
bought from did this. I fish from a portable shelter, so weight is a
factor. The newer model Aqua-Vu's take the "DVR" - digital video
recorder - uses the memory cards like digi-cams do. Mine won't handle
that - differant wiring - might be possible to re-wire it to work w/
one - but I don't think its worth the risk of damaging it right now.

There are a number of brands - and the sky / your checkbook is the
limit when it comes to bells and whistles (options).

One of the guys I fish w/ is chomping at the bit for us to hit the ice
so he/we can take a peak - he indicates he has a number of spots
he wants to see - which was my reason.

Hope this helps

Jim