Signal Crayfish...again!

Old January 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

Default Signal Crayfish...again!

Seeing as how we've had so much crap posted to this newsgroup lately I
though we might try to get a bit of sensible discussion going :-)
I'm sure that all of us are wallowing in waist deep water over the last
few weeks and am wondering what happens when this occurs!
Primarily our beloved American cousin the Signal crayfish.
This monstrous creature still seems to be infesting our rivers around
this part of the world and I am wondering whether the recent floods may
have flushed them downstream to the Thames and beyond.
I hope so.
The things are a bloody nuisance as well as being detrimental to our
ecological system.
Comments appreciated from all dedicated anglers. Comments from "Save the
Signal Crayfish Appreciation Society" not welcome. :-)
Tight lines
Alec

--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old January 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Peakstroller

There is a major upside to the Crayfish problem and that is " they taste
absolutely gorgeous " but I'm not in favour of them staying, just trying to
make the best of bad situation.

I liken them to the lobsters that I see on every dive around this country.
Whenever I come across a lobster pot there is usually a Lobster or two
captive and this is true every day in thousands of locations around the uk.
The supply of Lobsters will just not dry up no matter how hard they are
trapped, hunted, taken by divers and eaten by other fish. I have now
accepted that this will be the case with the Cray's but perhaps a part
solution is available.

What if every single river angler bought themselves a crayfish trap and made
it there first bankside task to set this trap for the duration of their
session? What a difference that could make to our rivers and instead of just
tutting and winging ( I'm very guilty ) we can make a difference to the
amount of time a ledgered hard on the bottom bait will last. But what will
the anglers do with all those 100's of thousand of Crayfish? Well Forrest
Gumps mate Bubba said " you can boil em, roast em, grill em, bake em, blend
em, mash em, bbq
em................................................ ..........................

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Izaak

"Peakstroller" wrote in message ...
What if every single river angler bought themselves a crayfish trap and made
it there first bankside task to set this trap for the duration of their
session?

I good idea in theory but illegal in practise. You need an EA permit to catch crayfish. I believe the permits are quite specific regarding location, date and time of use. The law is intended to protect the endangered native British crayfish but hasn't been kept up to date to take into account the arrival of the Signal crayfish (and other unwanted intrusive varieties).
The Signal problem on the River Lea has declined somewhat since its 'high' of a couple of years ago - there are still plenty around though. Since you are supposed to return any crayfish caught I recommend the following action. If you catch a British crayfish, buy it a pint and a pie then return it very gently to the water. If you catch any other type of crayfish, just return it to the water with maximum force - preferably by ricocheting it off some hard object on the way.

Old January 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Izaak
wrote:

"Peakstroller" wrote in message
ews.uk.tiscali.com...
What if every single river angler bought themselves a crayfish trap and made
it there first bankside task to set this trap for the duration of their
session?

I good idea in theory but illegal in practise. You need an EA permit to catch crayfis
h. I believe the permits are quite specific regarding location, date and time of use.

In areas with signals only permits are free.

According to:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...87835/1087809/

If you want to find out in what areas you can fish for crayfish please
contact us on 08708 506506

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old January 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Izaak, gave forth these words of wisdom:
"Peakstroller" wrote in message
What if every single river angler bought themselves a crayfish trap and made
it there first bankside task to set this trap for the duration of their
session?

I good idea in theory but illegal in practise.

A couple of seasons ago I thought about giving it a go. The Thame near
here was inundated with them. After talking to the EA people down at
Reading, (A very helpful bunch BTW), and building my own trap I then
contacted the club who's waters I fish only to find out that the owner
would not give permission :-(
Great. So now it's back to the old routine of a keep net with a loaf in
it thrown out mid-stream. Works a treat but don't tell anyone :-)
Tasty little buggers they are too. (Downside is that I NEVER see any
indigenous crayfish nowadays).
Another point worth mentioning is that the EA reckon someone was seeding
the rivers around Oxfordshire and netting and selling on to restaurants.
Wouldn't put that past some greedy bugger as there always seems to be
crayfish tails on the menu of many of the top caffs round here!
(No - I don't actually eat in them! I'm just a poor postie :-)
Cheers,
Alec