FS2004 - Let the tying begin!

Old January 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM
rb608

Default FS2004 - Let the tying begin!

The magic number is 37!

The signup period has ended, and we have 37 swappers signed up for this
year's swap.

For me, the focus will now shift to the tying, tagging & shipping aspects of
the swap, and changes to the FS2004 site
(http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004) have been made to reflect that.
Because of a few questions in regard to tags, I've compiled an entire new
page devoted to that topic. (http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FStags.htm)

At a count of 37, however, the initial guidelines for dealing with large
numbers are moot. I'm holding to the promised maximum requirement of 30; but
you may want to reconsider tying 7 more. For tyers submitting 30: The fly
sorting/distribution will be in a "round robin" method, and each participant
will get 30 flies at random from the larger pool.

OTOH: You may elect to tie the entire amount at your discretion. As
promised, I won't require more than 30; but if you're easily tempted to tie
7 more, it's up to you. Tyers submitting the full amount will, of course,
get one of each from everybody.

YOMAS,
Joe Fleischman
http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004

....and the final list:

Allen Epps #8 black stonefly
Big Dale #10 Psychedelic Spiders
Bob Weinberger #14 Wilted Spinach
bugcaster #16 Renegade
Chas Wade #4/0 Blackbeard
Cindy TBD
Conan The Librarian #16 PMD Quigley cripples
D. Rocksvold TBD
Danl TBD
Dave Martel #16 BH Daves Red Fox Squirrel nymph
Emma and John Whiteley Haul y gwynt
flyguy TBD
Frank Church BH Peacock nymph
Gary or Linda Brown clouser pattern TBD
Hairy Trout TBD
Hans van der Stroom Oostvoorne Small Fry
Hooked Fish Catcher
John Lindsey Foam Bass Popper
Larry Griffith's Gnat w/CDC plume
Larry and a cat named Dub Salmon egg
Lat705 Fabri Wing CDC Caddis
Paul Goodwin #10 Salmon River Stone
pw 14 Hi-Vis Parachute Hare's Ear
rb608 TBD
Richard Fortuna #14 Emergent Sparkle Pupa
--Rob #8 Grey Frede
Ronbo142 #16 Prince
Rudi en Dolinda TBD
Stan Gula TBD
Svend Tang-Petersen Baetis para-dun
Tim Carter #8 beadheadOctober Caddis
Tim J. TBD
Tom Littleton TBD
tony weall western minnow
Warren TBD
Wayne P Great White Bass Clouser or Scudzilla
William Claspy TBD

Old January 16th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Chas Wade

"rb608" wrote:
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but if 32 of us tie 37 flies, there
won't be enough of the flies from the 5 guys who tie 30 to go around.

Just doin the rithmetic...

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Tim J.

"Chas Wade" wrote in message news:UhLNb.79053$na.43354@attbi_s04...
"rb608" wrote:
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but if 32 of us tie 37 flies, there
won't be enough of the flies from the 5 guys who tie 30 to go around.

Just doin the rithmetic...

C'mon, Joe, firm up! Tell 'em 37 or nuthin'. Crack that whip!

If someone is tying 30, 37 isn't that far off. . .
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 16th, 2004, 02:03 PM
rb608

"rb608" wrote:
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but if 32 of us tie 37 flies, there
won't be enough of the flies from the 5 guys who tie 30 to go around.

I confess, you've got me there. The last guys to get their flies in are
gonna get shafted.

Then again, As Tim suggests, 37 ain't that much different than 30; and as
the swapmeister, I *am* strongly suggesting that everybody tie the whole
lot.

Loaves and fishes,
Joe F.
http://home.att.net/~fleischman/FS2004

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Frank Church

"rb608" wrote in news:VaSNb.22109
:

I confess, you've got me there. The last guys to get their flies in are
gonna get shafted.

Then again, As Tim suggests, 37 ain't that much different than 30; and as
the swapmeister, I *am* strongly suggesting that everybody tie the whole
lot.

Ah, the life of a swapmeister Mine went out this morning Joe, but I
scewed up and mailed 38, somehow that number stuck with me...I'll blame it
on you. g

Frank the first Church

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Stan Gula

"rb608" wrote:
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but if 32 of us tie 37 flies, there
won't be enough of the flies from the 5 guys who tie 30 to go around.

I confess, you've got me there. The last guys to get their flies in are
gonna get shafted.

Then again, As Tim suggests, 37 ain't that much different than 30; and as
the swapmeister, I *am* strongly suggesting that everybody tie the whole
lot.

You shouldn't 'strongly suggest'. You only get into problems if more than
30 people tie the full complement and at least one person does not. So,
either ask for a full complement from everybody, or try to keep the number
who do only 30 flies 7 or greater (that is, *discourage* people from doing
37).

I would opt with requiring the full 37. You should ask if there's anybody
who absolutely won't do 37 and if it's less than 7, then panic.

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
rb608

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
I would opt with requiring the full 37. You should ask if there's anybody
who absolutely won't do 37 and if it's less than 7, then panic.

Nah; can't require 37. I promised I wouldn't require more than 30, & I
gotta hold to that.

But while we're talking about it, *are* there any swappers signed up who
just won't tie 37? (You don't have to confess here in public, feel free to
email me.)

Screw the math & the hypotheticals; if there *is* a problem, I'll let
everyone know. Frankly I can't imagine not being able to crank out another
half dozen or so. Knowing how I tie, I need to do 60 to get 30 anyway. :-)

Joe F.

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Scott Seidman

"Stan Gula" wrote in
:

"rb608" wrote:
[...]

No need to panic. Just save the extra sets for some ROFFle in the future.

Scott
Old January 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Stan Gula

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

I would opt with requiring the full 37. You should ask if there's
anybody who absolutely won't do 37 and if it's less than 7, then
panic.

No need to panic. Just save the extra sets for some ROFFle in the future.

Scott

What 'extra' sets?

Old January 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Rob S.

"rb608" wrote:
[...]

I'm in for 37. Even though I've only completed 2 so far

-- Rob