Lower Mountain Fork River (SE OK) Trip Report

Old January 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Jim Edmondson[_3_]

Default Lower Mountain Fork River (SE OK) Trip Report

I fished the LMF in SE OK Jan 11, 12, and 13. Refer to previous posts in
November 2007 for details about the fishery and Beavers Bend State Park.

The weather was in the mid-50s for the high and low 30s for the low.
Blue sky conditions on the 11th and 13th with overcast and some drizzle
on the 12th. I usually got on the water about 10 am and fished until
dusk at about 5 pm.

In a word, the fishing was "awesome". I spent almost all of my time on
Spillway Creek (Zone 1) heading upstream from Cold Hole parking area. I
spent an hour or two upstream of Evening Hole one morning and some time
around dusk on Lost Creek each day. Several pools showed some good
surface feeding action at various times throughout the day. However, I
vowed to fish only with flies that I tied for this trip and I ran out of
time to tie any dries.

I fished a 2 nymph rig with yarn indicator exclusively. I usually cast
up and across and dead-drifted with most fish taken on the drift and a
few taken on the downstream swing and rise.

I used a tungsten beadhead PT, Prince or GRHE in 12 - 16 for weight with
an 18 or 20 Zebra Midge or WD-40 below. Numerous rainbows 10' - 17"
taken with probably 90% on Zebra Midge or WD-40. Color was not critical
as red or black midges and olive or tan WD-40 seemed to work equally well.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Jim Edmondson[_3_]

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:57:05 -0600, Guy wrote:

"Jim Edmondson" wrote in message
et...

Very Good!
Did you try Zone 3 for big Browns at all? Guy

No I did not get down to Zone 3. I have heard that Zone 2 has been
pretty slow and received some extra stocking lately, but no reports for
Zone 3.

--
Jim
posted from Ubuntu/Pan
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Jan 19, 10:45 am, Jim Edmondson
wrote:
[...]

Very nice TR and a great read on a butt-cold day! Did you manage any
photos?

Your pal,

Tim
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Jim Edmondson[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:22:16 -0800, Halfordian Golfer Halfordian Golfer
wrote in message
:

[...]

Unfortunately, my photographer was in the cabin working on the projects
that she cannot get to at home. Including a digital scrapbook of our
trip to CO this past summer. She indicated that most of the scrapbook
consists of various "Jim with some species of trout at this or that
river" pictures and I could not tear her away to take some more.

I have another trip to LMF planned for a long weekend starting Feb 21. I
will try to get some pics then.

--
Jim
posted from Ubuntu/Pan