nc easter bass fishing

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Default nc easter bass fishing

Charlie Choc wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:25:16 -0400, jeff wrote:

alligator!!!

Shoot Jeff, that little guy is barely big enough to make Wayno a pair of shoes
and a belt. g

bring your kayak up and i'll point you in his direction. you measure
him. g

i was a long way from him when i stopped running and took the pic, using
the little olympus stylus camera close-up...just doesn't show the scale
accurately at all. he was huge!! hell, by tomorrow he'll be 15 feet.
wish i had gotten closer and taken more photos, but as bad as my luck
had been this weekend i feared he might think i was an easter meal.

i've never encountered an alligator in the wild and up close on land
(saw one from the boat once). i've not tried to run in a long time, and
i suspect "scurrying" might not be adequate in the event he decided he
wanted a closer view of me. it was very spooky to just walk up
unknowingly on the damn thing. ...and i was catching some fish too!
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Rodney Long wrote:

jeff wrote:

alligator!!! this was a huge gator for nc...at least 8-10 feet (my
conservative guess...but, then i was hyperventilating a bit at the
time) nose to tail, very fat. he was snoozing in the sun...eyelids
closed. i was walking the bank, paying little attention to anything
but the water, trying to place casts close to the bank 10-15 feet in
front of me. suddenly, there was an unusual smell...it was so unusual
that it caused me to stop and look around. i thought there might be a
dead animal...then i saw it. about 20 feet in front of me. my jaw
dropped, and i ran as fast up the grassy bank as any geezer hoping not
to wrestle with a gator on an easter sunday. i've no experience with
gators up close and personal, so took these two photos and retreated.
he never moved. i don't think he even woke up...

Maybe the gator was dead, might explain the smell and it not moving

I can't remember ever smelling a gator that smelled like rotting meat

don't think so...one of his front legs was still wet. but, i don't
know. my first such encounter. it wasn't rotting meat...but a definite
odor that caught my attention.
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

jeff wrote:

Maybe the gator was dead, might explain the smell and it not moving

I can't remember ever smelling a gator that smelled like rotting meat

don't think so...one of his front legs was still wet. but, i don't
know. my first such encounter. it wasn't rotting meat...but a definite
odor that caught my attention.

As cold as it was, he was probably trying to get warm in the sun then, I
bet he could have barely moved since it was so cold

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Bill & Sue

I don't know about NC but the Gators in FL are starting to come into
breeding season and they get REAL cranky then. Gators use the heat from the
sun for body heat and will sleep on the bank after a heavy feed (the heat
helps them to digest). Doc (who relocated to NY State after hurricane
Charlie)
================================================== ===============================

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jeff

Rodney Long wrote:
jeff wrote:

Maybe the gator was dead, might explain the smell and it not moving

I can't remember ever smelling a gator that smelled like rotting meat

don't think so...one of his front legs was still wet. but, i don't
know. my first such encounter. it wasn't rotting meat...but a definite
odor that caught my attention.

As cold as it was, he was probably trying to get warm in the sun then, I
bet he could have barely moved since it was so cold

he looked like a sprinter to me! g no doubt he was basking in the
sun. i've no experience with gators...my bet is he was a man eater,
playing possum til i got close enough. g

i wish i'd been more stalwart now that i'm safely home...but at the
time, since i'd already been bloodied by a flounder, i figured i'd
better not test an alligator's patience.
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Rodney Long

jeff wrote:

he looked like a sprinter to me! g no doubt he was basking in the
sun. i've no experience with gators...my bet is he was a man eater,
playing possum til i got close enough. g

i wish i'd been more stalwart now that i'm safely home...but at the
time, since i'd already been bloodied by a flounder, i figured i'd
better not test an alligator's patience.

Probably a wise move :-)

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"jeff" wrote in message
alligator!!! this was a huge gator for nc...at least 8-10 feet (my
conservative guess...but, then i was hyperventilating a bit at the time)
nose to tail, very fat. he was snoozing in the sun...eyelids closed. i
was walking the bank, paying little attention to anything but the water,
trying to place casts close to the bank 10-15 feet in front of me.
suddenly, there was an unusual smell...it was so unusual that it caused
me to stop and look around. i thought there might be a dead
animal...then i saw it. about 20 feet in front of me. my jaw dropped,
and i ran as fast up the grassy bank as any geezer hoping not to wrestle
with a gator on an easter sunday. i've no experience with gators up
close and personal, so took these two photos and retreated. he never
moved. i don't think he even woke up...

You big sissy! I'm not sure that you are man enough to jump-start one of my
vehicles, ever again!

Love,
Op

Old April 9th, 2007, 04:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
asadi

Hey you got a high rez of that one?

got my e-mail?

thanks john....

"jeff" wrote in message
the pumping station at lake mattamuskeet

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:09:06 -0400, jeff wrote:

bring your kayak up and i'll point you in his direction. you measure
him. g

Willi and I saw a bunch in the Everglades, and you did have to watch where you
were walking (and paddling). They said the only reported 'incident' in the park
was when a kid hit one on a bike. Here's a 'close up of one. ;-)
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com