Scotland Holiday

Old January 29th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Andy Lawson

Default Scotland Holiday

Hi,

Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and staying
a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort William
to Inverness to Aviemore area. We're looking to go around the end of June,
probably last the two weeks. Now I can see from maps there are plenty of
lochs, but any specific recommendations on places to visit for Brown Trout
fishing? Can be loch or river but preferably not too much of a walk/climb!
The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to
be...... :-(

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

--
Andy Lawson

Old February 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Sandy

Andy Lawson wrote:
Hi,

Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and
staying a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the
Fort William to Inverness to Aviemore area. We're looking to go
around the end of June, probably last the two weeks. Now I can see
from maps there are plenty of lochs, but any specific recommendations
on places to visit for Brown Trout fishing? Can be loch or river but
preferably not too much of a walk/climb! The last time I went out
fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain lake, I nearly pegged
out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to be...... :-(

Thanks in advance for any help/advice,

Ok! it seems nobody is going to come in on this so I will try my best.
Bearing in mind I haven't fished in most of these areas, I usually fish
farther north and a bit more south, see my website, here are a few places.

Fort William.

Loch Arkaig salmon, sea trout, brown trout, pike and ferrox, fish along the
shoreline and around the feeder burns. The far end is supposed to fish best.
Permit from the Gun Shop in FW.

Loch Lochy brown trout, fishing is free, small fish in the 6-8oz bracket.

River Spean should give an opportunity for brown trout or drive farther
along to Loch Laggan, it has brown trout and big pike.

Fort Augustus.

Glenmrriston Estates, at Invermorriston have a number of lochs as well as
the river Morriston for brown trout, at that time of year though the river
will be pretty low, and the brown trout are few and far between but there
are some big ones to be caught in the deeper pools.

Inverness.

I have only fished the river for salmon but it is a beautiful river to fish
and should offer some good brown trout fishing.

Aviemore.

I have fished the river Spey at Grantown and Kingussie and the brown trout
fishing was very good. You used to be able to get permits from the tackle
shop in Grantown for the various lochs in the area which, I am told, are
very good.

Try and get hold of a copy of Bruce Sandisons' book "The Trout Lochs of
Scotland" loads of information in it.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Dave Lane

In message
"Andy Lawson" wrote:

Hi,

Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and staying
a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort William
to Inverness to Aviemore area.

you lucky, lucky sod.....

[snip]
The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use to
be...... :-(

rotfl... so much for "running around the outfield" - I nearly pegged
out from laughing....

good luck..

cheers

dave

--

.... C program run, C program crash, C programmer cry.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Dave Lane

In message
"Sandy" wrote:

Andy Lawson wrote:
Hi,

[snip]

Ok! it seems nobody is going to come in on this

[snip]

Loch Lochy brown trout, fishing is free, small fish in the 6-8oz bracket.

Beautiful spot - and down one end of the Loch is a place from where
you can hire boats..

River Spean should give an opportunity for brown trout or drive farther
along to Loch Laggan, it has brown trout and big pike.

Fort Augustus.

Glenmrriston Estates, at Invermorriston have a number of lochs as well as
the river Morriston for brown trout, at that time of year though the river
will be pretty low, and the brown trout are few and far between but there
are some big ones to be caught in the deeper pools.

There's a really nice one - Loch Lundie - about 30mins stroll Andy -
you can prolly get tickets in Fort A. - but also from the campsite
at Invergarry - it's called Faichem. Last time I was there, some
years ago, it was just £4 for the day.

cheers

dave
--

.... My hat covers my head.... Just like hair used to!!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Andy Lawson

"Dave Lane" wrote in message
In message
"Andy Lawson" wrote:

Hi,

Myself and SWMBO are considering a holiday in Scotland this year and

staying
a few nights at different B&B's. Currently looking around the Fort

William
to Inverness to Aviemore area.

you lucky, lucky sod.....

Well..... Maybe...... All depends how much fishing I'm allowed to do!

[snip]
The last time I went out fishing with someone from this NG to a mountain
lake, I nearly pegged out from exhaustion! I'm just not as fit as I use

be...... :-(

rotfl... so much for "running around the outfield" - I nearly pegged
out from laughing....

I can still run around the outfield yer sod....... well...... some of the
time, but going oop them thar mountains is another flipping story! :-$

ATB,

Andy

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Andy Lawson

snip really useful information from Sandy

Many thanks Sandy. The info is very much appreciated and I'll browse your
web site. We may make a slight change and stay near Aviemore, then down to
Glen Coe and then onto Isle of Mull. We hope to finalise what we REALLY want
this week!

BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the Northern
Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?

Regards,
--
Andy Lawson

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Andy Lawson

Dave chipped in with some more useful info:
snip
There's a really nice one - Loch Lundie - about 30mins stroll Andy -

Hang on a minute... you said it was only about a 30-45 min walk up that
bloody mountain last time! Hour and a half later with me gasping my last
breaths...... ;-) Mind you.... it was worth every minor heart attack I went
through getting up there, cos once we were up there, it was wonderful. I
still remember that fantastic view! I even caught a couple of trout if I
remember, or was that just the thin air causing delirium? :-)

ATB,

Andy

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Alec Powell

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the Northern
Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?

That was the man Andy.
Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year we
are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
Attadale in mid May.
Want to join us?
No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)
Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
Come on April!
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Andy Lawson

Wasn't it Alec who wrote:

That was the man Andy.
Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year we
are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
Attadale in mid May.
Want to join us?

This is my way of getting a compromise with SWMBO to do 'some' fishing in
Scotland. Maybe next time...

No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)

Git!

Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
Come on April!

Damn right that man! We've got the AGM tonight, so I expect to be sending
out the membership renewal notices next weekend. I'll keep you posted as I
know we have some open places already as some current members are leaving
the area.

BTW..... I wonder if we can tempt that Mr Lane to visit again? Not sure he
really enjoyed himself that much last time? ;-)

--
Andy Lawson

Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Sandy

Alec Powell wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
BTW, wasn't it you who put a link up once before on fishing in the
Northern Highlands where you stayed in Bothies?

That was the man Andy.
Sandy got me interested in the Attadale trip last year and this year
we are in the final stages of organising a few days hiking/fishing in
Attadale in mid May.
Want to join us?
No? (Well you are a bit unfit I suppose:-)
Maybe we'll stick to the Windrush and Farmoor.
Come on April!
Cheers,
Alec

That was me alright Glad to know you are getting things organised Alec.
my plans are on hold at the moment till I find out if I will be in or out of
work at that time. If all goes well I will probably be fishing Fisherfield,
Flowerdale or I may just go back to Kilmelford I'll just have to wait and
see.

What dates are you coming up, I may even have time to annoy you at Attadale

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy