Trout Fishing near Salt Lake City in late July

Old March 18th, 2004, 03:30 AM
pmfpa

Default Trout Fishing near Salt Lake City in late July

In late July, a friend and I would like to do some trout fishing after a
conference to be held in Salt Lake City. We are ready to travel 3-5 hours
from Salt Lake and spend several days at our destination. Would enjoy some
productive trout streams and would like to avoid crowds and very technical
fishing. Would like to wade the streams, not have to make a float trip, and
desire to keep expenses to a minimum. Skill level is beginning to
intermediate. There are a wide range of productive areas in Southern Idaho,
Southwestern Wyoming and Northern Utah and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM
gjones

I have been reading this group for some time, but have posted rarely. I live
in SLC and offer some suggestions below:

Provo River, Heber Valley, 1 hr drive
Provo River, Provo Canyon, 1 hr drive
Weber River, Above Wanship, 1 hr drive
Weber River, Below Wanship, 1 hr drive

Strawberry Reservoir, 1.5 hrs, need float tube
Strawberry River, below reservoir, 2 hr drive

Green River, Below Flaming Gorge, 3 hr drive

Big Wood River, Ketchum Idaho, 5 hr drive
Silver Creek, Ketchum Idaho, 5 hr drive (pretty technical)

Fly Shops in SLC to call:
Western Rivers, SLC
Silver Creek Outfitters, Ketchum, ID.

Web Sites:
http://www.utahflyfishing.com/index2.html
http://www.flyfishrivers.com/Provoriver/Provoriver.html

Old March 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Larry L

If you've heard of it, it will be crowded in July

For instance, the Green is reported to have 40,000 fly rods and 20,000 fish
per mile G

but,

I used to spend a couple weeks each year, running dogs, in the Unitas
Forest, East and South of SLC ... south of Evanston and above and South
East of Park City, Ut ... basically everywhere the altitude is high enough
to keep the desert at bay

In that zone, if it's year round water, it's probably got nice fish, is very
UNtechnical, and in beautiful country. I always brought my own lodging
with me, cased caddis like, and it's remote enough that you might have a
little trouble finding a non-camping place to stay, but there is laid back
fishing to be had

LOTS of wonderful water is within 5 hours of SLC, but it's nearly as hard to
pick a fishing hole for someone else as a spouse ..... many of the places I
most like are both crowded and very technical, but the area above was
neither the last time I was there ( roughly 4 years ago )

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Russell D.

pmfpa wrote:
In late July, a friend and I would like to do some trout fishing after a
conference to be held in Salt Lake City. We are ready to travel 3-5 hours
from Salt Lake and spend several days at our destination. Would enjoy some
productive trout streams and would like to avoid crowds and very technical
fishing. Would like to wade the streams, not have to make a float trip, and
desire to keep expenses to a minimum. Skill level is beginning to
intermediate. There are a wide range of productive areas in Southern Idaho,
Southwestern Wyoming and Northern Utah and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you in advance for your help.

pmfpa,

I live about an hour south of SLC. Why don't you drop me a private email
about mid-July and I will give you as much info as I can. Maybe could
even show you a couple of spots. I'm from Idaho and spend some time
there as well so I can give you some info that direction as well.

TL,

Russell
r m d @ s f c n . o r g (without spaces of course =)
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:57 AM
pmfpa

Well, thank you. Would look forward to that. I will be coming out from
Pennsylvania with a friend from Texas. We will spend about 5 days at a
conference in Salt Lake City.

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Jim Burrell

I also like wade fishing small streams with few people...catch nice brooks,
browns and rainbows.
Last when I was asking the same questions where? I received basically the
same information, Heber, Weber, Green, Prove etc. After reading about the
popular streams and rivers...I went south! Had a great time fishing mountain
streams and winding meows streams. Caught 20" browns, numerous brook,
mountain white fish and rainbows. During 4 days of fishing 3 streams I only
saw 1 man and he was fishing about 1/4 mile away.

Please email me if you want more information. I also have pictures.