The Compleat Angler

Old January 30th, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
egildone

Default The Compleat Angler

Has anyone here read Isaac Walton's book? If so, what is your opinion
of it? I found it online at
http://www.netlibrary.com

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Ed
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joel *DFD*

On Jan 30, 5:57�pm, egildone wrote:
Has anyone here read Isaac Walton's book? *If so, what is your opinion
of it? *I found it online at
*http://www.netlibrary.com

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Ed

One of the great literary works of Western civilization.

Old January 31st, 2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

On Jan 30, 6:21 pm, "Joel *DFD*" wrote:
On Jan 30, 5:57?pm, egildone wrote:

Has anyone here read Isaac Walton's book? ?If so, what is your opinion
of it? ?I found it online at
?http://www.netlibrary.com

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Ed

One of the great literary works of Western civilization.

Never heard of it.

Wolfgang

Old January 31st, 2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

it is old.

Old January 31st, 2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

On Jan 30, 8:54 pm, anonymous wrote:
it is old.

So am I. Gosh.....you'd think we'd have crossed paths.

Wolfgang

Old January 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve in Maryland

On Jan 30, 6:57 pm, egildone wrote:
Has anyone here read Isaac Walton's book? If so, what is your opinion
of it? I found it online at
http://www.netlibrary.com

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Ed

It's reflective of the writing and thinking of the time. I enjoyed
it. Not a great deal about fly fishing, but a lot about the fish.
There are a lot of chubs in the river near me, and I felt guilty about
enjoying catching them. Isaac Walton liked catching them too. They
don't taste good, according to Walton, but I don't keep fish anyway.
They hit hard and fight well. Walton pointed out some tactics for
them, and generally increased by enjoyment of the game. That's what
books are for.

Steve,
Maryland

Old January 31st, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"Steve in Maryland" wrote in message
That's what books are for.

Well, that and shimming window airconditioners. g (There's a story behind
that involving a friend & a borrowed book; but I doubt I need to go into it
futher.)

Joe F.

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Jan 30, 4:57 pm, egildone wrote:
Has anyone here read Isaac Walton's book? If so, what is your opinion
of it? I found it online at
http://www.netlibrary.com

I would appreciate any comments you have.

Ed

I have a 1912 Little Brown edition I'm proud of....almost mint
condition. Found
it at the annual publisher's book sale in Chicago a few years back.
Walton used an ongoing dialog between Piscator and Viator illustrating
not so much how to fish, but why you might want to do so.
Pretty good stuff for 16 what ever it was.

Even more interesting, perhaps, is the plagiarism issue. The Art of
Angling,
published approximately 100 years earlier, also had a piscator viator
dialog that almost reads the same way. In the contemporary context
Walton
would be pilloried for academic theft. But in 1577 (the Art of Angling
date)
it's not clear that plagiarism had even existed as a concept.

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"salmobytes" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Piscator, Venator and Auceps......names deliberately selected to represent
the avocations of their owners; an angler, a hunter and a falconer.

Wolfgang

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Feb 1, 6:50 am, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Piscator, Venator and Auceps......

Yes Venator, not Viator. My only latin is of the porcine variety,
so it's not surprising I remembered it the nefas way.