Pics and TR at a.b.p.f.

Old June 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

Default Pics and TR at a.b.p.f.

I have posted a TR, sort of, but I can't seem to get them all thru. I try
to finish them up later, once Charter gets there **** together.

Mark

Old June 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:46:23 -0400, "Guyz-N-Flyz"
wrote:

I have posted a TR, sort of, but I can't seem to get them all thru.

That was a great series of photos and commentary, Op. Most likely the only way
I'll ever see anything on the other side of the cable. g
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Tim J.

wrote:

I have posted a TR, sort of, but I can't seem to get them all thru.

That was a great series of photos and commentary, Op.

I'll second that. Very nice.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM
William Claspy

On 6/19/05 9:46 PM, in article ,
"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote:

I have posted a TR, sort of, but I can't seem to get them all thru. I try
to finish them up later, once Charter gets there **** together.

Mark-

I use http://www.usenet-replayer.com for binaries, and your lovely photos
have shown up there, but the text TR has not. Can you post the TR here?

That looks like a mighty fine piece of water...

Thanks,
Bill

Old June 20th, 2005, 10:19 PM
beausdad

"William Claspy" wrote in message

I use http://www.usenet-replayer.com for binaries, and your lovely photos
have shown up there, but the text TR has not. Can you post the TR here?

That looks like a mighty fine piece of water...

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, the TR accompanied the first pic. Were you not able to receive the
text with the pictures?

In addition, I posted a text explanation of each pic I sent. Did you not
get those along with the pics?

I will go back thru a.b.p.f and retrieve the text and repost it here, if you
didn't get it, but I didn't save it myself, after I sent it to a.b.p.f.

Mark

Old June 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
William Claspy

On 6/20/05 5:19 PM, in article , "beausdad"
wrote:

"William Claspy" wrote in message

I use http://www.usenet-replayer.com for binaries, and your lovely photos
have shown up there, but the text TR has not. Can you post the TR here?

That looks like a mighty fine piece of water...

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, the TR accompanied the first pic. Were you not able to receive the
text with the pictures?

Well, it wasn't on that service. I just checked our news server, which
frequently has the text posts to binary groups, but yours was, sadly,
absent.

In addition, I posted a text explanation of each pic I sent. Did you not
get those along with the pics?

Yes, there were little snippets of text with each of the pictures.

I will go back thru a.b.p.f and retrieve the text and repost it here, if you
didn't get it, but I didn't save it myself, after I sent it to a.b.p.f.

If'n you don't mind. Can't imagine a smallish TR text file posted here will
anger the locals too much....

:-)

Bill

Old June 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"William Claspy" wrote in message

If'n you don't mind. Can't imagine a smallish TR text file posted here
will
anger the locals too much....

:-)

Bill

Alright Bill, this is the TR, such as it is:

This is where I dropped in (1st pic accompanied this text, labeled: Put-in
below the cable, on Upper Creek) on Upper Creek, below the cable and began
to try to catch a trout. I geared up at the last camping area around 9:00
AM and it took me about 45 min. to hike the trail to this point. Had the
stream to myself, as most folks in this area are communing with their gods
in concrete, steel, and wooden structures.

I made the journey, this morning, primarily to see if the floods last year
had changed the stream significantly beyond the cable crossing. Many large
boulders--the size of a VW Beetle and a bit larger--had been displace from
their previous locations, below the cable crossing. Also the trail in is
was washed out on several places, as the ridge side trail is very narrow and
the ridge gradient is about a 60 degree slope or better in most sections.
The water was running harder than normal, as we have had a great deal of
rain lately. I just beat a serious thunder and lightning storm out this
eve. As you can see from the pic below, the Sun was shining brightly, when
I began my fish. This lasted up until I decided that it was time to make my
way back out, and the storm clouds didn't hit till I was three quarters the
way back to my car.

I began fishin' with a Joe's Hopper, and had several hook-ups early on, but
was unable to bring a trout to hand? I switched over to a traditional Adams
and had several more hook-ups, but once again I was unable to keep the trout
hooked. I checked the hooks and saw no problems. I did notice that my
flyline was sinking, and thought that in the strong currents that I was not
able to set the hook because of the excessive drag. I saw most of the fish
take the fly and could feel them tuggin' as I attempted to set the hook, but
each time I lost 'em? Anyway, I decided to change flylines and reels. So I
went to my Hardy Featherlight. I don't recall the brand of line on this
reel, but it didn't seem to suck up water at the flyline/leader connection.
Ok, that problem solved, I figured that I would begin CATCHING fish.
Unfortunately, the fish weren't strikin' my flyz like I would have expected
them to on such a beautiful day? I have had days on Upper Creek when I
couldn't do anything wrong and daze like today, when I couldn't do anything
right. Oh well, I was intent on fishing beyond the cable crossing,
regardless of catch. It's a good thing that I wasn't out just to fish,
'cause I only caught one trout all day and it was caught beyond the cable
crossing! It was a nice healthy rainbow about 13 or so inches.

I don't know, but my lack of fish brought to hand may have been as much due
to my apprehension about fishin' this stretch of Uppers by myself, as my
****-poor fishin' abilities. The floods had changed the stream enough that
usual stream crossing points were no longer available. I had to cross in
areas that I wasn't too certain of, and bedrock granite formations that used
to be covered in mosses were scoured clean, which made climbing up and over
many sections more treacherous than normal.

I finally made it to the cable crossing and my apprehension turned to fear,
as I made my way around the rock with the cable. In the past, it was a
simple matter of climbin' a cliff side and droppin' down to a ledge, that is
about 25 feet above a very deep plunge pool, then you would step over to a
large rock on the other side of a 20 feet deep crevice, and voila, you are
on the other side and ready to fish again. Unfortunately, the large rock is
no longer their. So, I had to work my way around the rock formation that
the cable winds around to another ledge. Not a simple matter on the best of
days. The next ledge is wet and slick, and I have my rod in my mouth, a
fanny pack around my waist, and a backpack on. Once I inched my way around
the rock formation--with a death grip on the cable--I was able to reach
another large rock across the crevice.

I'm on the other side of the cable crossin' now and the landscape is totally
different than it was the last time I was there. What used to be a sandy
beach like area was now a boulder strewn section of the stream, with water
coursing over, around, and beneath the boulders. I decided to cast a fly,
in celebration of not falling from the cable and drowning in the deep pool
below. I tied on a parachute Adams and cast it to a seam of water cutting
around a large rock in the middle of the stream. As the fly came around the
point in the rock I had a strike. Determined not to miss another trout I
set the hook quickly and kept pressure on by strippin' in line with my
left-hand. Sure enough, I finally, brought to hand my first and only trout
of the day!

I'll post some more pics with explanations, but the this will end the trip
report, for all intents and purposes.

Mark

Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
William Claspy

On 6/21/05 6:17 PM, in article ,
"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote:

"William Claspy" wrote in message

If'n you don't mind. Can't imagine a smallish TR text file posted here
will
anger the locals too much....

:-)

Bill

Alright Bill, this is the TR, such as it is:

snip

Thank you, sir! Sounds like one hair raising trip. I look forward to
fishin' the streams of WNC with you one o' these days. Just have to
remember correct usage of the decoder ring, I fear....

Bill

Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:47 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"William Claspy" wrote in message
Thank you, sir! Sounds like one hair raising trip. I look forward to
fishin' the streams of WNC with you one o' these days. Just have to
remember correct usage of the decoder ring, I fear....

Bill

No, thank you sir!

You get Wolfie and George together and y'all make a road trip on down,
anytime, PLEASE!

You always have a free place to stay, when ya get here.

Mark