A few more pics

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Conan the Librarian

Default A few more pics

Howdy,

If you're tired of seeing my photos, please disregard this. I'm
still playing around taking macros and seeing exactly what the cmaera
will do.

First off is a pic of a green humpy. I finally got the proportions
*close* to correct, but it's not the standard tie. I used moose body
hair and a synthetic wing. (I actually tied it the same way that Hughes
shows for tying a Royal Humpy, but subbed synthetic for calf and used
chartreuse floss instead of red. Unfortunately, the pic isn't quite in
focus (not the camera's fault):

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/humpy01.jpg

Next is a golden stonefly nymph:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/stone02.jpg

Then a quill PMD spinner:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/pmd-spinner01.jpg

And a rusty spinner:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rusty-spinner01.jpg

I was just rigging up a background by propping some grey foam up
behind the vise, but I realized that I should really make something more
permanent for taking pics and to save my eyes when tying. I like the
gray, so I took some foam and glued it to a piece 1/4" ply. I then cut
a notch out of the ply so it fits over the arm of my tying station.
Presto, instant backdrop, and I didn't have to shell out bucks for it.

Finally, a few flower pics and a mandatory man's-best-friend photo:

Some Pride of Barbados blooms:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/barbados01.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/barbados02.jpg

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/barbados03.jpg

A Lantana blossom:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/lantana01.jpg

And the border collie, Pepper:

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/pepper01.jpg

Chuck Vance (what, this isn't rec.photo.digital?)
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:06 PM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:58:02 -0500, Conan the Librarian
wrote:

[...]

Good looking dog! What did you use for you spinner wings?

g.c.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM
SteveB

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
Howdy,

\

I was just rigging up a background by propping some grey foam up
behind the vise, but I realized that I should really make something more
permanent for taking pics and to save my eyes when tying. I like the
gray, so I took some foam and glued it to a piece 1/4" ply. I then cut
a notch out of the ply so it fits over the arm of my tying station.
Presto, instant backdrop, and I didn't have to shell out bucks for it.

isn't rec.photo.digital?)

Photographers use a 22% grey background. I find that fabric stores have a
light grey felt that is close. It is very inexpensive, and it is easy to
use. Just stick up some hook velcro, and the felt sticks to it.

Steve

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Hooked

[...]

snip

Chuck Vance (what, this isn't rec.photo.digital?)

I really like the pics, and the flies.

I only have one question. Could you turn the flies into the vise a little
more? They seem to be angled away from the camera, and that makes them a
little hard to see.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Hooked

"Hooked" wrote in message

I really like the pics, and the flies.

I only have one question. Could you turn the flies into the vise a little
more? They seem to be angled away from the camera, and that makes them a
little hard to see.

That should read, "Could you turn the flies into the lens a little more?"