Penn GLS25 reel

Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Colin Smith

Default Penn GLS25 reel

I'm looking to get a new reel for general boat fishing and like the look of
the Penn GLS25 lever drag. Does anyone have any advice on this particular
reel?
Smudge

Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
SEAANGLING

I'm looking to get a new reel for general boat fishing and like the look of
the Penn GLS25 lever drag. Does anyone have any advice on this particular reel?

It's a well used and proven reel and if that's what you like then buy it, the
only real alternative is the Shimano TLD 15 or 20.
But having said that, there are some new Fladen reels on the market, not been
out long but they look suspicously like the Okuma/Ron Thomson reels we reviewed
in the SAN a couple of years ogo and we rated them as value for money reels.
At the end of the day, it's down to personal choice, cheers, Norman.
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sue & Jeri Drake

Hi Smudge,

We've had GLS25s pretty much since they came out in the UK, and when
compared alongside the comparable Shimanos they are a little less robust,
though that said we do at time punish our tackle. On the plus side, the Penn
Servicing facility is by far better than Shimano.

So if pushed into a corner, the GLS would be favourite, because it can be
readily repaired, and had stood the test of time.

Cheers

--
Sue & Jeri Drake
UK Shark Tagging Programme