Rustic Fishing Resort Getaway

Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
berrynice berrynice is offline
Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to berrynice
Cool Rustic Fishing Resort Getaway

Last weekend, I took off on a secret getaway - not telling any of my friends where I was going. I wanted to be alone.

I was at Sibu, Malaysia, soaking in the sun and the sea right in the middle of the ocean, up on a quaint authentic Kelong (rustic no-frills fishing resort in the middle of the sea) run by a group of young hot-blooded men – who named their fishing resort operations – HOT BOYS FISHING.

My first fishing experience

Speaking about fishing, I for one have always thought of it as a very boring hobby. Expensive too as one has to invest in the fishing equipment, baits and all. I once joked to my friend that I have the best and cheapest hobby of all. Writing needs no other investment apart from your linguistic skills and a creative mind. All other hobbies require some form of investment – be it reading (books), singing (KTV), cycling (bike), swimming (trunks/bikini, goggles), photography (camera, prints) etc.

However, being at the kelong allows me to sample the experience of fishing, without having to fork out any money. Andy, the marketing manager at the kelong practically shoved the fishing rod to me when he heard that I have never ever fished in my entire life.

Holding the fishing rod right by the side of the kelong felt surreal. Andy helped me cast my first bait, taught me how to feel if a fish is tugging at it, and how to reel my catch in when that happens. It was quite an exhilarating and gratifying moment when I caught my very first cuttlefish. We caught two more that night.

The experience of fishing, was so simple but yet - so very extraordinary. It lingered on even after I left the place, forming unforgettable memories that I would cherished for as long as I lived.

Yummy Food!
The second day, I have my fill of mouthwatering food: Sambal sting ray, fried fish (fresh from the sea!), chicken curry, stir fry vegetables, eggs, soup and fried bee hoon. Besides fishing, reading and chatting with the staff, I have been eating non-stop ‘cos that's basically what a kelong retreat offers! I hope I have not put on any more fats around the waist!

Royal Treatment

One thing that truly touches me about the kelong is the staff. Knowing I was there by myself, they spent lots of time chatting with me, engaging me in fishing and telling me funny stories about the kelong. I have not laughed so hard in a long time.

Besides Andy, the young Kelong boss Eugene, was especially warm and hospitable. He made me feel like a Princess throughout my vacation – making sure that I eat, that I am having fun, and that I am not left alone.

He was concerned that I would feel bored - and would rope me in whenever they were playing mahjong or singing karaoke. He even took me out swimming with all the other guests at a private beach. The great thing about this is that only guests from Eugene’s kelong get to enjoy the beach because it is exclusively owned by Hot Boys Fishing. Privacy guaranteed!

I spent 4 hours sun-tanning and reading the Da Vinci Code at the kelong yesterday morning. The air was extremely crisp and fresh when I woke up at 7.30am. With the breeze stroking my hair, and the warm sun on my skin, I completed at least 30 chapters of the book! I hardly have time to do something like this – and the simplicity of it all made this moment an extremely special form of luxury.

VERDICT

I would definitely go there again. In fact, I am crusading as one of their avid spokesperson, and have been posting my trip up on various travel forums. Got a couple of groups interested to even organize networking sessions there!

If you wanna read more about my trip and what funny incident happened to me while I was there - go on to my blog:

http://elvina33.blogspot.com/2005/11...ea-part-2.html

CheerS
Rena