fishing in the rain

Old November 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
philomena

Default fishing in the rain

I just caught a beautiful cutthroat trout on this very rainy day,but several
of the guys around here keep trying to tell me that I won't have any luck in
the rain.

Are they just trying to pull my leg or is there something to this?

Old November 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "philomena"

| I just caught a beautiful cutthroat trout on this very rainy day,but several
| of the guys around here keep trying to tell me that I won't have any luck in
| the rain.
|
| Are they just trying to pull my leg or is there something to this?

Many fish will tyend to feed in the rain becuase it stirs up the water and releaszes food.
In streams and rivers, insects and other food gets washed into the water. Thus when it
rains the fish tend to feed. It is the fisherman who does not like to fish and foul
weather.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old November 1st, 2005, 03:20 PM
GregS

From: "philomena"

| I just caught a beautiful cutthroat trout on this very rainy day,but several
| of the guys around here keep trying to tell me that I won't have any luck in
| the rain.
|
| Are they just trying to pull my leg or is there something to this?

Many fish will tyend to feed in the rain becuase it stirs up the water and
releaszes food.
In streams and rivers, insects and other food gets washed into the water. Thus
when it
rains the fish tend to feed. It is the fisherman who does not like to fish and
foul
weather.

It seems its best when it starts to rain, but not after a long while, since food
is allready stirred up and consumed.

greg
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Scottish Fly Fisher

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:53:31 GMT, "David H. Lipman"

From: "philomena"

| I just caught a beautiful cutthroat trout on this very rainy day,but several
| of the guys around here keep trying to tell me that I won't have any luck in
| the rain.
|
| Are they just trying to pull my leg or is there something to this?

Many fish will tyend to feed in the rain becuase it stirs up the water and releaszes food.
In streams and rivers, insects and other food gets washed into the water. Thus when it
rains the fish tend to feed. It is the fisherman who does not like to fish and foul
weather.

I love fishing in showery weather, simply because it gets the trout
moving. I always put it down to food items being displaced,( like
flies getting knocked into the water, and increased currents stirring
up nymphs.) Rain also encourages hatches, which get the fish feeding.
Somebody even wrote somewhere that it increases the oxygen levels in
the water. I'm not so sure about that being a significant factor
though.

John

http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:01 PM
Sully

If it is raining, the barometric pressure is down and animals and fish
activity tends to increase. The best 30 minutes on the water I ever had
was prior to a heavy rain on a Mississippi trib in MN.
Sully