A Fishing forum. FishingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishingBanter forum » alt.fishing & alt.flyfishing newsgroups » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need info on Orlando fishing

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM posted to alt.fishing
Tarheelsonly
external usenet poster

Default Need info on Orlando fishing

On Friday, July 5, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Andy Lund wrote:
A CRY FOR HELP!!

I'm going Fishing in Orlando in August this year. I am desparate for
info on where to go for both fresh and salt water fishing. I will
have the wife in tow and the inlaws (I know I must be mad) but my
brother in law and I are keen to wet our lines and sample the
American fishing experience.

I could do with info on where to go, what licences ill need, tackle
hire bait , lures, etc, etc.

I am an engineer from the north of England who has spent a great
amount of time fishing the country for many species of fish. My main
quarry was for many years the pike. So I wouldnt mind catching a few
American pike or walleye if they can be cought in the Florida region.

If anyone has any idea where I should start please get in touch.

Andy Lund.

You won't catch many pike in FL - I mean you could - there is one variety readily available that are in the local fresh waters. Chain Pickerel is what they are called here... small... if you caught a 3lb one, you'd have a big one. Largemouth Bass fishing is king in FL. Lake Toho, Kissimmee and Okeechobee are some of the top lakes. Chuck's guide service - www.chucksguideservice.com is an excellent guide who is a Competive pro as well and can put you on some decent fish - and for you Brits - have a great deal of famous folks that live along the shores of the lakes he fishes in the Butler Chain and you can see some "stars" FL homes if you give a rip. Though only 2 of you could go with him at a time in one boat. But you two guys could get in a great time on a beautiful body of water. It's also very closest to the Disney/Universal attractions. Toho & Okeechobee if you are a die hard and want to do the pinnacle of bass fishing destinations. You'd have to go to the midwest for good walleye & pike fishing - so don't plan on doing that in FL, you'll be disappointed
There are many fishing charters on the ocean side of FL, Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral are the closest. Decide whether you want to fish inshore or deep sea. They are two different experiences and different fish. There are some really great sal****er experiences... if you want a special treat for the family - go fishing in Mosquito Lagoon - about an hour north of Orlando - and you can go into the flats of the lagoon just above Cape Canaveral. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet - look up Tim Baker, www.eastcoastpaddle.com Fish the morning and then go out Stand up Paddle Boarding in the lagoon with the manatees and dolphins. It's easy and fun. Have them take you to JB's Fish Camp at the end of the day for a beer and some really great food. Those are the best bets. If you want the local incredible experience... have him take you out fishing on the paddle boards. It's way easier than it looks... and imagine tying into a 10lb red fish while standing on a 10 ft piece of fiberglass... it's a beautiful place that is a wilderness with lots of wildlife.