Running a Fishery

Old September 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Pumpaction

Default Running a Fishery

Hi my name is Chris and I'm looking for some help please.
I Know of an old lake by me in west London that has been shut for two years.
If there is anyone here that runs a fishery, how do I go about getting this
one running again, it is council owned

--
Many thanks
Chris

Old September 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Pumpaction
wrote:
Hi my name is Chris and I'm looking for some help please.
I Know of an old lake by me in west London that has been shut for two years.
If there is anyone here that runs a fishery, how do I go about getting this
one running again, it is council owned

Permissions and so on are down to the owner - the council, so it's them you
have to persuade. First step would be to ask them why they closed it (and
if it was a pay-to-fish water why have they stopped a source of revenue.)

There -might- be a good reason or there might not. Your next step depends
on the answer.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Pumpaction

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Pumpaction
wrote:
[...]

Hi Derek
Thanks for that, the lake was shut since the last mob to run
it ran of with the money.
It is quite overgrown now but nothing a couple of weeks gardening won't sort
out.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Jon
wrote:
Pumpaction wrote...

Thanks for that, the lake was shut since the last mob to run
it ran of with the money.
It is quite overgrown now but nothing a couple of weeks gardening won't sort
out.

OK, but as Jon says:

Councils would usually expect their rent up front. If the previous lot
didn't pay, it could be because they couldn't make any decent dosh out
of the lake. Not all lakes have queues of people wanting to join at
whatever cost.

There may be all sorts of other unresolved issues - including possible legal
action.

A very cautious enquiry about the situation and possibly a request for
permission to make a survey (legal and physical - you couldn't use it as a
free fishing permit) might be in order.

You need to know -exactly- why the previous operators cleared out before you
do anything. You should think about contacting a land agent - advice from
here is worth exactly what you are paying for it...

Cheerio,

Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_4_]

I would add that asking in local tackle shops as well or trying to get in
contact with anyone involved in its previous use. Get as much info form as
many people as you can then you might see the pattern of what happened.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Jon
Pumpaction wrote...

Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Pumpaction

" Gandalf" Gandalf.not@home wrote in message
I would add that asking in local tackle shops as well or trying to get in
contact with anyone involved in its previous use. Get as much info form as
many people as you can then you might see the pattern of what happened.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Jon
wrote:
Pumpaction wrote...

[...]

Thanks Chaps you highlighted some areas I didn't think of it might be too
much for me, but it still might be worth the questions being asked

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_4_]

Just as secondary though you might like to look into the idea of getting a
few mates together and running the lake as syndicate. That way you would
know how the money will work out better. You would still have to check the
lake out on all other aspects but a group of you could split the work maybe.

Just an idea.

--
Gandalf

"Pumpaction" wrote in message

" Gandalf" Gandalf.not@home wrote in message
I would add that asking in local tackle shops as well or trying to get in
contact with anyone involved in its previous use. Get as much info form
as many people as you can then you might see the pattern of what
happened.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Jon
Pumpaction wrote...

Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Pumpaction

" Gandalf" Gandalf.not@home wrote in message
Just as secondary though you might like to look into the idea of getting a
few mates together and running the lake as syndicate. That way you would
know how the money will work out better. You would still have to check the
lake out on all other aspects but a group of you could split the work
maybe.

Just an idea.

--
Gandalf

Cheers chaps have taken all on-board, Have two brother-in-laws to help out
one of which used to be a bailiff
thanks for your help will keep you informed
cheers for now
regards
Chris...

Old November 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Peter Cliff

One of the first things you should consider is joining The Professional
Coarse Fisheries Association. They are having a meeting at the West
Midlands Golf Club near Balsall Common on Wednesday, November 18 at
11.00am. All members are fishery owners/managers or fishery consultants
who are usually happy to share their knowledge.

They can be contacted via:

http://www.pcfa.co.uk

Good luck!

Peter
--
Peter Cliff
Publishing Editor
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
peterkeviin peterkeviin is offline
Junior Member

You need to know how, and why operators clear out before you do anything. You should contact the land agent to consider - from here the proposal is worth exactly what you are paying the price for it.