fish finder

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Simon Atkinson

Default fish finder

what do you lot think of the fish finder as advertised in AT the other week
( for those who did not see it involves a small transducer that you attach
to the end of your main line and cast out, it will then send back a signal
up to 30 meters and display it on the screen) the fact that you can use it
as a float and watch as a fish comes and takes the bait could be almost as
exciting as surface fishing.

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Izaak

"Simon Atkinson" wrote in message
what do you lot think of the fish finder as advertised in AT the other

week
( for those who did not see it involves a small transducer that you attach
to the end of your main line and cast out, it will then send back a signal
up to 30 meters and display it on the screen) the fact that you can use it
as a float and watch as a fish comes and takes the bait could be almost as
exciting as surface fishing.

I didn't see this but why take the element of surprise out of fishing? You
might as well put David Attenborough in a SCUBA suit and let him give you a
running commentary on any activity near your bait. Soon we'll all be able
to stay at home and let Robo-angler go and fish for us.

Old September 29th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Phil.L

Simon Atkinson wrote:
: what do you lot think of the fish finder as advertised in AT the
: other week ( for those who did not see it involves a small transducer
: that you attach to the end of your main line and cast out, it will
: then send back a signal up to 30 meters and display it on the screen)
: the fact that you can use it as a float and watch as a fish comes and
: takes the bait could be almost as exciting as surface fishing.

they're a passing fad, and personaly i wouldnt have one for free, if your
going to go to these lengths, why not just let the computer do it all and
purchase a virtual fishing cd-rom?
or if your really desperate to catch fish at any cost, maybe a few sticks of
dynamite?

Old September 29th, 2003, 06:17 PM
rich ®

now you might be onto something there, saves leaving the pub ;o)

Old September 29th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Laffinkitten

what''s wrong with virtual fishing?
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Phil.L

Laffinkitten wrote:
: what''s wrong with virtual fishing?

nothing, and i never implied there was.
but as compared to the real thing its no substitute.

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Simon Atkinson

"Izaak" wrote in message

[...]

but then why stare at a float or eagerly watch carp take in every floater
and find yourself willing it to take yours, maybe you might be better off
with a fishing sim

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Simon Atkinson

"Phil.L" wrote in message
Laffinkitten wrote:
: what''s wrong with virtual fishing?

nothing, and i never implied there was.
but as compared to the real thing its no substitute.

but as a tool for searching out features such as snags and the make up of
the bed I can see the use of it, no dragging a lead covered in weed spooking
fish, it would be a visible marker on the surface so you will know exactly
the location of the features and if you fish some of the smaller older pools
not the usual gravel pits there are often submerged trees etc where a lead
snags and often has to be pulled for a break you could accurately find the
areas where you could fish safely.

I know we are talking gadgets here but I've seen pole fishers use fish
finders and I'm sure once people scoffed at bite alarms when swing tips were
satisfactory. Even the guy who reviewed it for the AT (who I suggest is a
competent angler) found a couple of fish holding features on his local river
that he did not know before, it is just a tool, a aid to fishing and as a
tool I can see a swim being mapped out quicker and easier allowing more time
to fish

Old September 30th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Izaak

"Simon Atkinson" wrote in message
but then why stare at a float or eagerly watch carp take in every floater
and find yourself willing it to take yours, maybe you might be better off
with a fishing sim

The point is that it is me who has to pay attention, not some electronic
gadget doing it for me. Re your other post mentioning bite alarms. I'm
sure they have their uses but any fishing 'aid' which allows you to leave
your rod unattended is not for me. I guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Matt \(IS Team\)

"Izaak" wrote in message

"Simon Atkinson" wrote in message
but then why stare at a float or eagerly watch carp take in every

floater
and find yourself willing it to take yours, maybe you might be better

off
with a fishing sim

The point is that it is me who has to pay attention, not some electronic
gadget doing it for me. Re your other post mentioning bite alarms. I'm
sure they have their uses but any fishing 'aid' which allows you to leave
your rod unattended is not for me. I guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Bite alarms do have their uses, in the correct situation, like many things
in this world! I have used one when night fishing, for example.

An example of the 'wrong' situation was last weekend. I was at Makins (Phase
1, pool 5) and a youngster (after about knocking my pole of the roller as he
passed) set up an alarm. We were getting bites every 10 mins or so, ffs why
would you need an alarm for that?