fish finder

Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Simon Atkinson

Default fish finder

new rules for all anglers, every one must now use only split cane rods and
cat gut as all other materials have been deemed to give the angler an unfair
advantage over the fish however the use of hazel branches is an acceptable
alternative to split cane.

Anyone who fishes is to only wear brown cord trousers (tucked into their
socks) and tweed jackets, and a soft floppy cap if required

Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
Alex

"Simon Atkinson" wrote in message
all irrelevant parts of this post have been deleted as the string is

getting
too long

The string can never be too long if the content is interesting.
what is annoying is having to trawl through all the previous postings
re-reading everything.
Just post the relevant part of what you are replying to.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:42 PM
Dominic Lloyd

Found this on the sea group. the split cane mob will have a fit.

From: "Jhonathon Appleby"
Subject: Kite Fishing
Date: 03 October 2003 03:17

Hi there everyone. Have been searching for kite fishing groups, and
came across alot of people unsure of exactly what kite fishing is all
about. Here is some information from Sea Eagle Kites in New Zealand.

Kite Fishing:
In simple terms, kite fishers utilise the power and direction of the
wind to power a Sea Eagle fishing kite from the beach out to sea where
the big fish are found. Sea Eagle Kites will tow up to 2000 metres of
main line out to sea. The fisher, along with the main line reel,
remains on the beach with the family or friends.

Along with the main line, the kite takes with it up to 24 hooks which
glide along the sea bed and await hungry fish to catch themselves on
the special Japanese long line hooks supplied with all Sea Eagle Kites
complete fishing rigs.

Sea Eagle Kites can be tacked up to 40 degrees either side of the
actual wind direction, thereby providing numerous opportunities to
fish even when the wind is blowing up or down the beach.

Sea Eagle kites are made from high quality PU coated ripstop nylon
fabric, and can be supplied with a range of spar options from
fibreglass rods, through to high tech, super light carbon fibre tube.
Construction of the kites is such that the usual problems associated
with fishing kites, such as seam wear and fraying, are all but totally
eliminated.

Sea Eagle kite fishing rigs come complete. All you need to supply is
the bait, and a 4 litre plastic bottle. We even supply the fish bin to
take your catch home in. Whether a dropper rig ideally suited to West
Coast deep-water areas, or a long line rig for the East Coast beaches,
Sea Eagle gear will catch the big ones for you.

Sea Eagle Kites can also be used to tow out live baits that skip
across the top of the water and create the illusion of a wounded bait
fish. Any predator fish below will be attracted to the
“wounded” baitfish and attack it. You can also use salt
water flies, trolling lures, and poppers. A great way to catch Kahawai
and King Fish or other game fish.

All Sea Eagle fishing gear is of the highest standards. A complete rig
is designed with a built in Progressive Breakaway System that allows
for the least amount of lost gear due to snagging on seabed
obstructions. All Sea Eagle kites use a double safety trace system
which allows for the wind to build whilst the kite is out working, yet
wont plunge the kite into the sea when hit by a strong gust of wind.

All clips, swivels and other hardware are “over specified”
to ensure break away due to gear failure is minimized.

Contact Details
Sales and Support
Ph 64-9-818 1089
The Beach
021-217 6893
Email

Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:21 PM
Phil.L

:
: Anyone who fishes is to only wear brown cord trousers (tucked into
: their socks) and tweed jackets, and a soft floppy cap if required

hope your not being cynical there, Simon?
:-)

PS theres not *only* two types of angler, -
1) goes fishing with over 8k worth of tackle including fishfinders,
baitboats, bite alarms and many other expensive items.
2) goes with a broom handle, string, bent pin and bucket of worms.

There are thousands of 'middlemen' who have *some* bits of fancy gadgetry
*along with* old fashioned techniques, these are the forward thinking
anglers, who over the years have accepted new tackle, only when its proved
its worth.
If something they've had in their box for over 30 years still does what it
was made to do, why change it?
I'm not one to shun a piece of new tackle simply because i think its not
going to work, i look at what others do and what works.
Let me ask you this, considering you've been an angler for a long time, and
these fishfinders have been about for at least a decade, how many times have
you seen anyone use one?
If they did what they are meant to do, everyone would have one.

Beleive me, i could think up a piece of crap like this, get a patent on it,
get it manufactured and some anglers would buy it if they were told it would
catch them more fish, whether it actually did or not is irrelevant, because
when tackle companies produce anything at all, they dont have to prove that
it works, they only have to make you think that it does.

BTW, i already have a fishfinder, in fact i have two, as the fish i go for
(carp) are usually visible when near the surface, and when bottom feeding,
theres also visible signs that they are disturbing the bottom.

Old October 6th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Simon Atkinson

[...]

I have seen fishfinders user on the banks but generally by matchmen who seem
to be preparing for a match and are 'scoping' out the water, they fix a
transducer at the end of one of their poles and watch the fish passing
through a swim and their reaction to the bait, the one featured in AT was
the first time that I have seen one that has taken the next step using
wireless technology so that it could be cast from a rod and the fact that
they had given the option of being able to suspend a bait from it seemed to
me to be that someone was actually thinking about the variety of uses that
this could encompass where as the fish finders in general are designed for
use attached to a boat and have been adapted, I would be pretty sure that
they have been used before to discover the actions of fish to bait landing
on the surface and the difference between scattered loose feed and a ball of
ground bait on different venues because the fish are a trapped species and
fish in one place may act differently from those in another, just as one
type of bait can be effective in one venue but not another.

But at the end of the day these fish finders are only a tool, an aid to
fishing, and they will not directly help you to catch fish, and in my
opinion anything that states it can should be avoided, but they could help
you understand the venue and fish therein better.

I still think that this 'gadget' has its uses and like all aids if used
correctly would be of great benefit, but I doubt it will catch on as most
will avoid it either believing all gadgets take away the pleasure of fishing
or just too embarrassed to use it on the bank, will I buy one -no probably
not- fishing to me is my hobby, my get away from it all, and like most its
on a budget but if I see one in the free ads for a fiver I think I'll snap
it up, if I ever see one on the bank I would be very interested in it.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
crucksayarn crucksayarn is offline
Junior Member

A discreet black box installed in my host is perhaps the most that I have always fishing, especially when the water is warm or cold, very difficult conditions. Those who are fishing and I know that I rely on my depth - fish finder to find bait fish, to keep the eyes up to what depth and unusual tree fishing.