I need help.

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Default I need help.

wrote:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:35:48 -0500, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

Only if you want to stretch the meaning of the word "subsistence" so
much as to make it meaningless. We are sport fishermen who keep some of
what we catch.

What's to stretch?

"a source or means of obtaining the necessities of life"

I'd offer that it isn't stretching anything to say that food is a
necessity of life, and catching fish is certainly a means to obtain
food. I suspect you have couched your own definition in terms of
necessity, but such qualifiers aren't part of it.

Other definitions include:

Means of supporting life; a living or livelihood.
The source from which food and other items necessary to exist are
obtained.
A means of subsisting, especially means barely sufficient to
maintain life.

None of those fit with the type of fishing we here on ROFF are
doing, no matter whether we keep some of what we catch or not.

Further, I'd offer
that many people I know, myself included, are "subsistence fishers" (and
hunters) because that fishing and hunting is the most practical source
of much of that for which we fish and hunt.

Using your logic, an argument could be made that I am a "subsistence
golfer" if I make money from betting on games with my friends and buy
food with that money.

Depending on the exact circumstances, using the definition of the word,
too...

And those of us who sell a few of our woodworking projects are
"subsistence woodworkers", those who grow a few vegetables in the garden
are "subsistence gardeners", those who go to Vegas and win a few bucks
gambling are "subsistence gamblers" etc., etc., etc.

Thus failing to note that all of those instances are cases of
*recreational* activities that may have the by-product of putting some
food on the table.

If you want to define "subsistence [insert term here]" that loosely,
go ahead.

Maybe the best way to distinguish these activities for me is to ask
yourself if you would continue to do it even if it didn't put food on
the table.

BTW, we have gone far afield from Tim's normal phrasing which is
"traditional subsistence fishing". He uses that to try to link himself
to some great tradition (my "caveman" reference in a previous post)
while slamming those who would return fish to the water.

Chuck Vance
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian typed:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:

snip
. . . it's a little annoying when someone who starts
a thread does not even maintain it. That's his second noob offense.

Jeezus, if you had posted an innocent question and stirred up a
****storm like this, do you think you'd be "maintaining" the thread?

Oh, hell's bells! If reading this thread can be this much fun, certainly
maintaining it could double the pleasure, eh?
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:06:41 -0500, Conan The Librarian
wrote:

Other definitions include:

Means of supporting life; a living or livelihood.
The source from which food and other items necessary to exist are
obtained.
A means of subsisting, especially means barely sufficient to
maintain life.

None of those fit with the type of fishing we here on ROFF are
doing, no matter whether we keep some of what we catch or not.

IIRC, there's a guide or two that post here on occasion who would probably fit
one or more of your definitions.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote:

Other definitions include:

Means of supporting life; a living or livelihood.
The source from which food and other items necessary to exist are
obtained.
A means of subsisting, especially means barely sufficient to
maintain life.

None of those fit with the type of fishing we here on ROFF are
doing, no matter whether we keep some of what we catch or not.

IIRC, there's a guide or two that post here on occasion who would probably
fit
one or more of your definitions.

Leaving one to wonder which is more entertaining......the naturally obtuse
or the deliberately so.

Wolfgang
and then there's the ever amusing game of trying to figure out which one is
dealing with.

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Tim J." wrote in message
Conan The Librarian typed:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:

snip
. . . it's a little annoying when someone who starts
a thread does not even maintain it. That's his second noob offense.

Jeezus, if you had posted an innocent question and stirred up a
****storm like this, do you think you'd be "maintaining" the thread?

Oh, hell's bells! If reading this thread can be this much fun, certainly
maintaining it could double the pleasure, eh?

I be go ta hell if I can figure out what "maintaining" a thread
means......unless it's just a matter of prolonging it beyond its expected
natural lifespan, in which case you all owe me big-time!

Wolfgang
who despairs of making the uninitiated understand and believe that a life of
service ain't no bed of roses.

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 8:17 am, "Wolfgang" wrote:

You are no one's friend here.

Tim has plenty of friends here.

Jon.
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
On Apr 25, 8:17 am, "Wolfgang" wrote:

You are no one's friend here.

Tim has plenty of friends here.

Maybe. But that's not what we were talking about.

English is not your first language is it?

Wolfgang

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 1:17 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Maybe. But that's not what we were talking about.

Friendship is commutative. But yes, I know your game here is
pendantism...

Jon.
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
On Apr 25, 1:17 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Maybe. But that's not what we were talking about.

Friendship is commutative.

Addition is commutative. Friendship may or not be mutual. For example, I
may be the only real friend timmie has here......no one else counsels him to
get the help he needs. He is most emphatically NOT my friend.

But yes, I know your game here is pendantism...

My game here is smacking dumbasses and people who sneer at common decency.
Funny how our paths cross sometimes, isn't it?

Wolfgang

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
My game here is smacking dumbasses and people who sneer at common
decency. Funny how our paths cross sometimes, isn't it?

A very pregnant pause. You're wondering which group you belong in, right?
Well, they aren't mutually exclusive. Does that help?

Wolfgang