I took my daughter fly fishing today...

Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Zimbo

Default I took my daughter fly fishing today...

My 10-year-old daughter expressed interest in learning how to cast a
fly line so I took her out on the lawn last night and she fooled
around for a while. I set her up with my Cabelas 3-Forks rod, gave her
some pointers, and she started getting the hang of it right away. I
thought she'd get bored after a few minutes but she practiced for
nearly an hour.

When she was done, she asked me when she could try casting on the
water and I told her she had practiced enough that it was time to head
out to the neighborhood bass pond, which we did today. She ended up
catching 6 or 7 bass on a bead-head Prince nymph and she had a great
time.

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

--Steve

Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:27:00 -0700 (PDT), Zimbo
wrote:

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

As well you should be. Way to go, Zimbo.

Now you need to build her a grass rod. It's been a couple of years
since I've fished with the boo rod you gave me. Need to do that this
season. Probably fish Gehrke's too. d;o(

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

wrote:

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

As well you should be. Way to go, Zimbo.

Now you need to build her a grass rod. It's been a couple of years
since I've fished with the boo rod you gave me. Need to do that this
season. Probably fish Gehrke's too. d;o(

Dave

He'd like that. Which ******* did you end up with?
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

As well you should be. Way to go, Zimbo.

Now you need to build her a grass rod. It's been a couple of years
since I've fished with the boo rod you gave me. Need to do that this
season. Probably fish Gehrke's too. d;o(

Dave

He'd like that. Which ******* did you end up with?

The Happy Hooker, 2 piece 7 1/2 ft 4 weight.

I have five grass rods - 2 Kussee, George's, Zimbo's Hamilton Rod Co.,
and a very nice 5 weight made by roff's Peter Collin. They all fish
well, especially the Kussees and Peter's. They are for my five
grandchildren. I'll probably buy another one just so one of the kids
doesn't end up with a fly rod called "The Happy Hooker."

George's method of naming these rods, ie The Happy Hooker, The
*******, left much to be desired. There was a cry on roff the likes
of which you've never seen when he wanted to blacken the ******* and
call it a Black *******. Poor George. Some very dear friends on roff
couldn't stand the man, and he and I had our differences, but I am
glad I "settled up" with him just weeks before he died.

I called Gladys about a year ago to see how things were going. She
said everything was fine.

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Zimbo wrote:
My 10-year-old daughter expressed interest in learning how to cast a
fly line so I took her out on the lawn last night and she fooled
around for a while. I set her up with my Cabelas 3-Forks rod, gave her
some pointers, and she started getting the hang of it right away. I
thought she'd get bored after a few minutes but she practiced for
nearly an hour.

When she was done, she asked me when she could try casting on the
water and I told her she had practiced enough that it was time to head
out to the neighborhood bass pond, which we did today. She ended up
catching 6 or 7 bass on a bead-head Prince nymph and she had a great
time.

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

Oh great, another nymph fisherperson. Teach her that the only properly
presented fly is a dry fly (or in the case of bass, a popper) and then
*I'll* be psyched.

:-) :-) :-) (for those who need them).

--
Ken Fortenberry - good to "see" you Steve.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Zimbo

On May 3, 10:13*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Oh great, another nymph fisherperson. Teach her that the only properly
presented fly is a dry fly (or in the case of bass, a popper) and then
*I'll* be psyched.

We've had that lesson, trust me:

(1) Only date boys you would be willing to bring home to meet your
mother
(2) Anything worth doing is worth doing well
(3) Nymphs are a last resort

--Steve
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

When I took my oldest daughter fishing she hooked her first trout in the
eye and never wanted anything to do with the sport again.

So it goes.

Old May 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Oh great, another nymph fisherperson. Teach her that the only properly
presented fly is a dry fly (or in the case of bass, a popper) and then
*I'll* be psyched.

We've had that lesson, trust me:

(1) Only date boys you would be willing to bring home to meet your
mother
(2) Anything worth doing is worth doing well
(3) Nymphs are a last resort

Since my daughters grew up on Air Force bases:
(4) Never trust a man with a three foot zipper.

Congrats. I got my daughters started young and they both eschew bait
fishermen.
Enjoy the ride.
Frank Reid
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 3, 3:27*pm, Zimbo wrote:
My 10-year-old daughter expressed interest in learning how to cast a
fly line so I took her out on the lawn last night and she fooled
around for a while. I set her up with my Cabelas 3-Forks rod, gave her
some pointers, and she started getting the hang of it right away. I
thought she'd get bored after a few minutes but she practiced for
nearly an hour.

When she was done, she asked me when she could try casting on the
water and I told her she had practiced enough that it was time to head
out to the neighborhood bass pond, which we did today. She ended up
catching 6 or 7 bass on a bead-head Prince nymph and she had a great
time.

I gotta say... I'm pretty psyched.

--Steve

great work, z!

let's try to hit a nearby spot within the next thirty days.

yfitp
wayno
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John

"Zimbo" said it all in the subject line!!!

Way to go Dad!!!

You have a few months of fun coming your way this Summer and Fall then plan
on taking your princess to a joint father/daughter fly tying class and start
building bigger memories. When they get to catching them on the flies they
tied themselves, it's hooked - long term!

Good luck!
John