Bearing Buddies

Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
Doug

Default Bearing Buddies

What's a good way to keep Bearing Buddies from coming off in transit...
Lately, since the bearing switch, I can't seem to keep these dang things on
securely! Is there a trick to keep them from flying off while going down
the road?? This is my 3rd one in 3 weeks! I don't think locktight will
work since there's so much grease on the inside of the hub, and I'm just not
sure what to do. Probably a simple solution, but nothing is coming to me at
the time!

TIA,

Doug

Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:58 AM
Bob La Londe

"Doug" wrote in message
What's a good way to keep Bearing Buddies from coming off in transit...
Lately, since the bearing switch, I can't seem to keep these dang things

on
securely! Is there a trick to keep them from flying off while going down
the road?? This is my 3rd one in 3 weeks! I don't think locktight will
work since there's so much grease on the inside of the hub, and I'm just

not
sure what to do. Probably a simple solution, but nothing is coming to me

at
the time!

TIA,

Doug

I have heard that some people drill and tap the sides of the hub and put set
screws in. Not sure how comfortable I would be with that, but it sounds
like it would work. If its an old beater trailer I suppose you could
simpley wrap the sides of the hub and bearing buddy with tape.

As to the idea of locktite.... Even if you cleaned the surfaces you would
have to use the green loctite which is a bushing and sleave locker.

JMHO
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:37 AM
Doug

Yeah, I'm going to have to figure out something Bob, I'm getting tired of
spending $20 a week AFTER I get to the lake and discover it or their missing
and can't put in cause I have exposed bearings! Off to the nearest marina I
go...... The whole setup is pretty much a beater and a work in progress.. I
don't know if you remember, but I was the one doing the truck bed liner on
the boat... Which I finished by the way, I think you at one time said you
were curious of the outcome. I works great, sealed great, but definitely
need the primer before putting it on. As far as the speed issue we
discussed, I put my 30 horse Johnson on it instead of my 15 Merc. With my
30 horse, before the lining, I could get 28 MPH, now WITH, I get 22 MPH,
pretty drastic, and unexpected outcome. With the 15 Merc, Pre-liner, I
would get 9 MPH and struggle to get on plane, if it EVER happened. (Pushing
water mostly) Scary to think what I would get now WITH the liner with the
15!!

These speeds are from my GPS BTW, Garmin Etrex Vista.

Anyway, the drilling and tapping is not a problem and a hell of an idea!
But more work then I'd like to put into this relic. Still open to other
options and advice. But that might be the way to go to be sure. I plan on
taking her for a 1000 trip here pretty soon so we'll have to do something!

Thanx Bob and tight lines!

Doug

Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:09 AM
Todd Copeland

"Doug" wrote in message

Anyway, the drilling and tapping is not a problem and a hell of an idea!

Perhaps what Bob was talknig about but I'd try a very small bolt. Drill
through the hub only, insert the bearing buddy, and then screw the bolt
into the side of the hub through the hole. I'd not apply too much pressure.
I point out the bolt as opposed to an actual screw.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
irbfishin

Doug wrote:
What's a good way to keep Bearing Buddies from coming off in

transit...
Lately, since the bearing switch, I can't seem to keep these dang

things on
securely! Is there a trick to keep them from flying off while going

down
the road?? This is my 3rd one in 3 weeks! I don't think locktight

will
work since there's so much grease on the inside of the hub, and I'm

just not
sure what to do. Probably a simple solution, but nothing is coming

to me at
the time!

TIA,

Doug

Maybe silicone would work. It would be easy to remove later.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Chronos

I do have some solutions, but I need to know if you're losing the BB
covers or the whole BB assembly.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Doug

Oh yeah, I knew what he meant, I would make it look "official" and use an
alan set screw. Thanx for the reply too, peciate it!

Doug

"Todd Copeland" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Doug

Losing the whole ball of wax. It seems like they fit snug at the beginning
of the trip, I have to tap them in to get them to seat, but by the end of
the trip, one of them has gone AWOL.

Thanx,

Doug

.. .

Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Arclight

Drop these guys an email.

http://www.ufpnet.com/

Lynn O. Dyer is the guy you want to talk to.

Here's his pho #--works for UFP

Here's his number:
800-854-1905 ext 107...Lyn

PS:
Read those pdf's on the UFP Site--some good info.

"Doug" wrote in message
Losing the whole ball of wax. It seems like they fit snug at the
beginning of the trip, I have to tap them in to get them to seat, but by
the end of the trip, one of them has gone AWOL.

Thanx,

Doug

.. .

Old May 24th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Henry Hefner

Doug, could you have tires out of balance? Maybe highway speeds are
causing your wheels to bounce and jar the Bearing Buddies loose?