Floating Fly Line

Old September 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
NowItsWhatever

Default Floating Fly Line

Should floating fly line always float. I used a cheap fly rod combo this
weekend. The line floated well for a few hours. Then it started sinking
the first 20 - 30 feet or so. This was a problem because I was fishing in a
lake using a dry fly and a drop fly. I wanted to let it sit out there for
several minutes, but the fly line kept sinking. Do expensive fly lines
float better? Thanks.

Old September 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mr. Opus McDopus

"NowItsWhatever" wrote in message
Should floating fly line always float. I used a cheap fly rod combo this
weekend. The line floated well for a few hours. Then it started sinking
the first 20 - 30 feet or so. This was a problem because I was fishing in
lake using a dry fly and a drop fly. I wanted to let it sit out there
for
several minutes, but the fly line kept sinking. Do expensive fly lines
float better? Thanks.

A floatin' line should float, but there are any number of reasons why yours
might have begun to sink.

1) When the leader was tied onto the flyline, the flyline was cut--either
intentionally or accidentally. If you cut the *tag* en of the flyline after
you tied on the leader, and you didn't seal that cut end with some sort of
cement (zap-a-gap, hard as nails...), the flyline will wick up water just
like the wick in an oil lantern.

2) You might have cut thru the outer rubbery material on the flyline, when
you tied on the leader, and then you didn't seal that knot segment well
enough with glue or cement.

3) It could be that the flyline is just cheap/old.

You can let the flyline set for several days--stretched out--and then seal
the knot to leader connection with glue or cement to see if that solves the
problem. While in the stream, if your flyline begins to sink, false cast
that line several times to force water out the en of the line. I do this
when my line starts to sinkin'. I tend to keep flylines long after there
useful life, when they begin to crack and wick up water.

It has been my experience that *any* floating flyline will sink. However, I
also believe that higher priced, better quality lines, when treated
properly: cementing the flyline to leader connection, periodic cleaning,
dressing--according to the manuf. recommendations...

HTH'd

Op

Old September 6th, 2006, 04:32 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Stephen Welsh

Are you sure the line is a floater?

Op's suggestion about water seeping in through cracks in the line is
possible. If it's a poor quality line with cracks over its useful
length then it will sink.

It is also possible that after a few hours use - in a lake - the line
is covered in slime, scum and goo that causes it to sink. In which
case a good clean and treatment should get it up on top again.

Steve

Old September 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:21:54 GMT, "NowItsWhatever"
wrote:

Should floating fly line always float. I used a cheap fly rod combo this
weekend. The line floated well for a few hours. Then it started sinking
the first 20 - 30 feet or so. This was a problem because I was fishing in a
lake using a dry fly and a drop fly. I wanted to let it sit out there for
several minutes, but the fly line kept sinking. Do expensive fly lines
float better? Thanks.

I agree with Steve and Mark. Try cleaning the line with soap and
water and then dressing it. If the line is taking on water through
the tip or through cracks, you will be fighting a losing battle,
however.

I use expensive lines - I'm a sucker for the ad hype. Even the best
lines will sink after awhile. Cleaning and dressing them usually
solves the problem; however, I have had lines sink on me (usually
because I am a nymph fisherman first, dry second, and the line is
underwater alot) while nymphing and it's no big deal at that time.
But, when I want to switch over to dries, it becomes a major problem.
I solve this on the stream by using Muscilage (spelling) on the tip
and first ten feet or so. Works like a charm, but be sure to clean
the line and redress at the end of the day. Muscilage or any silicone
based dressing will attract dirt, so be sure to clean it after use.

In a pinch, I also use fly dressing (Gink) on the line. You have to
keep applying it, but it does work. Again, the line should be cleaned
and dressed properly after any "in-the-field" cure.

Old September 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

NowItsWhatever wrote:
Should floating fly line always float. I used a cheap fly rod combo this
weekend. The line floated well for a few hours. Then it started sinking
the first 20 - 30 feet or so. This was a problem because I was fishing in a
lake using a dry fly and a drop fly. I wanted to let it sit out there for
several minutes, but the fly line kept sinking. Do expensive fly lines
float better? Thanks.

In general it should but sometimes it gets cracked and the core absorbs
water. If you can cut it off or, if its a double taper turn it around,
re-tie your butt knot and use a little knot-sense to seal the end, it
might be better. You can always use floatant on it as well. Also,
sometimes, this 'intermediate sinking' affect is deadly. A slowly
sinking line in a lake can be awesome.

Your pal,

TBone

Old September 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Skye Sheldan

Yep expensive lines generally float better for longer. You can buy some
flyline floatant (conditioner) and apply it to your inexpensive line and it
will float for a loner time, less expensive and reasonably
effective......Kerry

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
ralsonngrace ralsonngrace is offline
Junior Member

You can let the flyline set for several days--stretched out--and again seal the bond to baton affiliation with adhesive or adhesive to see if that solves the problem. While in the stream, if your flyline begins to sink, apocryphal cast that band several times to force baptize out the en of the line.