Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Old January 7th, 2004, 10:56 PM
South Jersey Investor

Default Can You Help me Identify This Fish

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C500_1395_36_1_guessfishjan2004.jpg (7.5 KB, 1056 views)
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
licker

It is shaped like a speckle trout but the drawing doesn't show and spots.
It lookslike it may have front teeth like a trout.

Sarge

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:50 AM
David H. Lipman

Mackerel.
Most likely Pacific Mackerel
The last time I answered a question like this, no one ever confirmed or denied it.

Feed back is requested !

Dave
From the beaches of Monmouth County

Old January 8th, 2004, 03:33 AM
licker

I believe you may be right. I thought of speckle trout but I forgot to look
at the fork tail instead of a fan tail. It does resemble a mackeral shape.

Sarge

Attached Images
File Type: gif pacific_mackeral.gif (3.0 KB, 1016 views)
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:45 AM
David H. Lipman

Also look at the bony ridges from the dorsal fin to the tail fin.
Definitely NOT a trout but in the Mackerel family.
Of course it could also be a Tuna, but it's highly unlikely.

Dave

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Dre

It's definately a Mackerel. The same kind we fish here in New-Brunswick. If
the colors were bright his back would be green. Here's a link to a better
pictu

http://www.brightonmarina-seafishing.co.uk/Mackerel.JPG

They are usually about 8-12 inches.

Hope this helps!

Dre

Old January 8th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Dre

Here's another link with alot more information on Atlantic Mackerel:

http://www.atlanticherring.com/mackerel.htm

Dre

Old January 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM
barbz

South Jersey Investor wrote:

Looks like a Pacific Mackerel to me. Bleah, catfish bait!
barbz

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Dre

Could definately be a Pacific Mackerel also as it's identical to the
Atlantic Mackerel. The biggest difference between the two is the pacific
Mackerel has less fat.

Dre

Old January 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Colin Soden