I need help.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
tim

Default I need help.

I have been out FF four times so far this year. Today I was at the Black
River in Hackelbarney. I have not had any luck yet. I used GRHE,Pheasant
Tail,Royal Coachman Wet, and a Adams dry. I used a 7.5 to 9 FT leader
including tippit( both 4X). The thing that I hate is I see bait guys
with a stringer full of fish.This is basically my second season FF. Is
my lack of success normal. I am tying my own flies, but do buy
sometimes. I dont know what else to try. Any suggestions?

--
tim
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wbranch[_4_]

"I have been out FF four times so far this year. got me beat by two
times! This is basically my second season FF. Is my lack of success
normal."

Yes, keep trying though, don't give it up, it will be a lifelong
pursuit once you get some fish on your line.

As the other fellow stated when the water is low and warms up quickly
it is tough on most NJ streams. Try a little lighter tippet - if you
were using 3X go to 4X, and don't be afraid to go to 5X. So what if
you break off some fish at least it might induce more hook-ups.

I'd concentrate on nymphing - again as the other gentleman noted;
Hare's Ear #12 - #16, some plain and some BH's. Pheasant Tails,
Princes, Zug Bug, a couple olive and a couple tan caddis pupa same
sizes, a couple Peeking caddis with tan or olive heads. Fish them with
enough BB's so that the fly is ticking along on the bottom. If you are
not getting snagged once in awhile you aren't deep enough. Remember to
do upstream mends to increase your drag free drifts. If you don't know
what a mend is buy a good beginner's book.

Buy a couple all black Wooly Buggers and a couple with black tails and
hackle and olive chenille bodies. Fish them dead drift or slow if the
water is cold and apply some stripping retrieve if the water is in the
higher 50's or warmer.

PM me if you ever have a question or want more info.

--
Wbranch
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"tim" wrote in message
I have been out FF four times so far this year.

got me beat by two times!

This is basically my second season FF. Is
my lack of success normal.

yes, it is. Stick with it, learn, and over time, you will find you still get
skunked, but with a style and grace you once thought unimaginable.

Seriously, Tim: this time of the year can be tough on some streams.
Generally, greyish mayflies in size #14-16 can work, if you see them around,
all the better. Caddis in black(#14) and tan (#16) will be most common on
eastern streams. Good nymphs to use are Gold ribbed hare's ears(anytime,
play with the sizes, keep them deep), and beadhead larva and pheasant tails.
Hope this Helps!
Tom

Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
tim

Thank you for the help. I will stick with it and go with your
suggestions.

--
tim
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:06:06 -0400, tim
wrote:

I have been out FF four times so far this year. Today I was at the Black
River in Hackelbarney. I have not had any luck yet. I used GRHE,Pheasant
Tail,Royal Coachman Wet, and a Adams dry. I used a 7.5 to 9 FT leader
including tippit( both 4X). The thing that I hate is I see bait guys
with a stringer full of fish.This is basically my second season FF. Is
my lack of success normal. I am tying my own flies, but do buy
sometimes. I dont know what else to try. Any suggestions?

Bait?

HTH,
OK, OK, OK...a fishmonger?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:
Thank you for the help. I will stick with it and go with your
suggestions.

--
tim

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

So when was the last time you fished "for subsistence"?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you
can stand the guilt.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Halfordian Golfer wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

So when was the last time you fished "for subsistence"?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you can
stand the guilt.

He can't. That may be what tipped him over the edge. On the other hand,
craziness builds upon itself; it's a classic positive feedback loop. At the
end of the day, where and when it started is moot.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Ah, if only there was enough water!

Wolfgang

Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 22, 8:31 am, Conan The Librarian wrote:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

So when was the last time you fished "for subsistence"?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you
can stand the guilt.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Dude starts fishing, hasn't even caught a fish, and is already
bitching about people that are catching and keeping fish legally. My
question "where did you learn this crap?" is not rhetorical. What a
blessed relief to be in Florida this week. Not a Catch and Release
zealot in site. Just real fishermen catching fish. Noticed the head
lamp on the beach late last night so, taking a risk I went over to
chat with the inveterate night anglers who was hooking a baitfish on a
10' surf rod. Nicest guy and gal in the world. Yet our new found
angling friend "hates to see these people".

Who is teaching these people this tripe, especially newcomers?
Wolfgang and his ilk? Man I hope not.

Dude wants a real fishing education I suggest he digs up some
nightcrawlers and kill, clean and cook whatever he catches. Let's
start he

1) Angling has a rich and long tradition. It is, literally, hunting
for fish. Only in the last 20-30 years has angling taken on purely
sporting ramifications. In the days before angling became wet-golf
fishing for biological golf balls, anyone who fished was considered a
brother of the angle. We'd say: "Guy fishes, must be a good guy". We
respected the sport and especially the wild animal we were killing in
our pursuit. We understood what wild meant (ask LaCourse, he just got
a refresher) and we would go out of our way to hike around a brother
who was fishing in a spot as to not ruin his fishing. Fishing in the
last 30 years has degraded in to a competitive pursuit, the very last
thing we needed it to become. It's big business and the object of the
business is the fish. The people that are teaching our friend to hate
people who kill fish are the ones who are using the public resources
to earn a private living.

Seriously: Grasshopper - catch a grasshopper and than catch a fish,
come back and we will talk.

That's my earnest advice.

Your pal,

TBone

Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Halfordian Golfer wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:36 pm, tim wrote:

The thing that I hate is I see bait guys with a stringer full of fish

2nd year of fishing and you're already dissing 10,000 years of angling
for subsistence? Where did you learn this crap?

So when was the last time you fished "for subsistence"?

I would, respectfully, suggest golf.

I'm thinking you should take your own advice. I don't see how you
can stand the guilt.

Chuck Vance (a water hazard runs through it)

Dude starts fishing, hasn't even caught a fish, and is already
bitching about people that are catching and keeping fish legally.

And how did you learn that these fish were kept legally?

My question "where did you learn this crap?" is not rhetorical.

Nor does it show any signs of being rational or useful as anything other
than yet another doomed attempt to justify a position which you try
desperately to convince yourself is righteous.

What a blessed relief to be in Florida this week. Not a Catch and Release
zealot in site.

Zealot? You DARE to use this word to describe someone else? You are SO
sick!

Just real fishermen catching fish.

And you think it's a sign of a healthy mind to unceasingly harangue and
abuse fishermen you believe arent' even real? You are SO sick!

Noticed the head
lamp on the beach late last night so, taking a risk I went over to
chat with the inveterate night anglers who was hooking a baitfish on a
10' surf rod. Nicest guy and gal in the world.

Maybe. On the other hand, it's possible that there are a few you haven't
met yet.

Yet our new found
angling friend "hates to see these people".

I seem to have missed the part where he met those folks. Did he say exactly
where and when? Did he mention how he recognized them and determined that
they weren't someone else?

Who is teaching these people this tripe, especially newcomers?
Wolfgang and his ilk? Man I hope not.

Your wish is granted. I've never perceived a need to teach the general
public what they already know to be true......nor what they already know to
be false. As for my ilk, well, I gave up carrying that around a long time
ago.....wasn't doing me any good at all. You're welcome to it. Probably do
you a lot more good than the monkey on your back and the voices
reverberating through that vacant hall at the top of your neck.

Dude wants a real fishing education I suggest he digs up some
nightcrawlers and kill, clean and cook whatever he catches.

Well, that would certainly be a lot faster than using them for fishing.
High in protein too, I hear.

Let's start he

O.k., let's.

1) Angling has a rich and long tradition.

Stipulated. I've never encountered anyone who has argued against this
proposition. You could have started somewhere else. Would have saved time.

It is, literally, hunting for fish.

Really? You're not kidding us?

Only in the last 20-30 years has angling taken on purely
sporting ramifications.

Wtong. It never has. There are people out there who kill fish. You hadn't
heard? Are we surprised?

In the days before angling became wet-golf
fishing for biological golf balls, anyone who fished was considered a
brother of the angle. We'd say: "Guy fishes, must be a good guy". We
respected the sport and especially the wild animal we were killing in
our pursuit. We understood what wild meant (ask LaCourse, he just got
a refresher) and we would go out of our way to hike around a brother
who was fishing in a spot as to not ruin his fishing. Fishing in the
last 30 years has degraded in to a competitive pursuit, the very last
thing we needed it to become. It's big business and the object of the
business is the fish. The people that are teaching our friend to hate
people who kill fish are the ones who are using the public resources
to earn a private living.

All joking aside, you are a seriously disturbed and confused moron.

Seriously: Grasshopper - catch a grasshopper and than catch a fish,
come back and we will talk.

That's my earnest advice.

Seek professional help. Seriously.

Wolfgang