Dave Scadden Pontoon Craft

Old February 20th, 2004, 02:39 AM
joe

Default Dave Scadden Pontoon Craft

In article ,
(Greg Pavlov) wrote:

That brings back a few good memories,
sitting up here in Buffalo winter ...

Do you use the Hobie to fly fish ? One
thing that struck me about it is that the
pedal gear could be hard to keep fly line
off of.

Another option for a kayak that will allow you
to stang is the Tribalance (I have one of those
also).

I've read comments that the Tribalance
shouldn't be used in rougher water that
is ok in other kayaks. Is this true,
and if so, is it because the outriggers
could actually work against you in that
sort of situation ?

Well I am not much better stuck in N. Georgia. Probably a few degrees
warmer but relatively this has been a wet cold winter. We have not even
ahd any snow to oggle over (and get out of work a day).

As for the Hobie I have to admit I am not the best fly angler but really
the pedal assembly would not be a huge problem. If you were in fact
standing (and I am not sure I could stand and fly cast) there is ample
clear room. If sitting, you would be stripping to your lap and probably
some type of apron (really could use a stripping basket if standing as
well).

The nice thing about fishing down south is that wading is the way to go.
The yak or paddle craft is still a benefit as it gets you places you
could not wade even at extreme low tides (unless you plan on swimming
back in). One of my best fishing buddies who also has a skiff uses it
the same way. Motor out near the flat, drigt and troll in then get out
and wade. He figures, and I agree, even if drifting a yak/canoe you can
not really work the water. Wading you find the holes, feel the subtle
temp changes and can stay in a spot and fish it when you get some action
or interest. Even with my GPS tracking it is hard to get back where I
had a bump.

On the Tribalance, I have had mine in 3 foot swells and shared channels
with 40 footers (and there wake) with never a problem. Actually the
reason I use the Tribalance less is that it does have quite a bit of
rocker and it is tough to keep straight. I could not keep up with the
longer Ocean Kayaks and then the Tarpons. Even though it is a narrow
craft. Still it offers some great options and is as good an all purpose
boat as I could imagine. The real weakness would be taking it some place
that was close in (Like the Glades or narrow canals).

All this talk has me hurting again. This is about as long a string of no
fishing I have had in a couple of years. Hope you warm up or maybe get a
chance to get down and catch some flats fish.

good fishin'

atlanta joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Rodney

joe wrote:

For the kayak you could use the same formula as you can add the
outriggers to them as well. I use a Hobie Outback with a pedal system
and I have yet to see a current that it could not handle (of course I am
not fishing in the NE either). I have come through Longboat Key near
Sarasota Fl at full outgoing tide though.

I also use the Hobie OutBack,, This has got to be the best, light, take
anywhere boat, out there, yes I know it's the most expensive, but it
comes fully loaded for fishing, I take it out 10 to one over my bass
boat now, not only in skinny water either. It's just FUN to fish from.

I can see a huge problem with it this summer though,, keeping the wife,
kids and grand kids out of it, so I can use it fishing. This little
problem will help many men get permission to buy it though .

"Look Honey , you, and the kids, will use it more than me" :-)

I'm in the process of doing a complete web page, product review, on the
boat, I should have it finished this weekend, and get it up on my web
site. I just wish it had a reverse, besides the paddle that is

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Bob Lamson

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
I am in the final process of deciding on my first pontoon boat and it
looks like the first pontoon I looked at - Dave Scadden - Madison
River (9 foot)- I like the best. Does anyone have any experience with
these pontoons? This does not have internal bladders, frame brakes
down to 3 pieces, weighs only 46lbs without platform. Portability is
very important as I have a small car - must fit in trunk with back
seats down.
Will be using mostly on Upper Delaware ( class I & II).
Have not decided if I should get Standing Platform w/leaning bar - any
thoughts?
(seems it could be more of a nusiance if mostly pulling over and
stopping to fish)

How about Sal****er use? For Stripers? - feeder rivers to ocean or
bays?

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:26 AM
Bob Lamson

If I can throw one more opinion into the fray,,,,,,I have fished the
Delaware, I also fish sal****er ponds, breachways and the West Branch
Penobscot (class 3 whitewater). I've seen a number of pontoon boats get
into trouble in all of these places.
Also in any moving water, you're limited to fish, for the most part, down
stream.
If you ask me a rowing canoe is the answer for you. Portable, stable,
maneuverable. With the right one in many situations you may stand and fish.
I also have rigged anchor systems at both ends, so I may anchor facing up or
down stream and to stabilize my anchorage in cross currents. I use an Old
Town Osprey 15.5' and couldn't be happier.

"Bob Lamson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:41 PM
Willi

Greg Pavlov wrote:

The nice thing about fishing down south is that wading is the
way to go. ...

I much prefer fishing on foor to fishing from a boat. But there
are places around here, especially in mid-summer to early fall,
that would be fun to fish from a kayak that are out of reach
(sometimes *just* out of reach) of shore.

I much prefer wading to fishing from a boat, but on large rivers
especially those with limited access, a boat is a good tool to get you
to places where you can wade that you can't get to just by wading.

Willi

Old February 21st, 2004, 04:14 PM
Rodney

Greg Pavlov wrote:

There's a large kayak shop not too far away that sells Hobies.
They tried to talk me into one last fall but when I saw that
gear sticking up in the middle of the cockpit, I was turned
off. I guess that I should take a second look: the store has
a pond where you can try out their kayaks.

If you can fish sitting down the Hobble is the way to go, that drive is
so much better than a paddle or ores, and you can cover a lot of water
faster than any other human powered boat

Old February 21st, 2004, 06:42 PM
joe

In article ,
(Greg Pavlov) wrote:

There's a large kayak shop not too far away that sells Hobies.
They tried to talk me into one last fall but when I saw that
gear sticking up in the middle of the cockpit, I was turned
off. I guess that I should take a second look: the store has
a pond where you can try out their kayaks.

It would be worth a look. I bought mine from the picture on the Hobie
site. I did try out the pedal system at a shop down in Tampa, the
original mirage and that pretty much sold me. But really, seeing all the
fishing related features on the outback was the clincher. The trays
along the sides were almost enough. The rod holders are nice but I find
that you can not use the front holders to store rods if you are fishing.
They are not really suitable for a fly rod.

My other concern was getting in to very shallow water as I regularly am
in water 6 inches deep and at times it can be less than that to get to
where you want to fish. The flippers do not need to be operated by a
full stroke to keep you moving. I can flutter them about a couple of
inches and still make about 1.5 mph. If you need, you can pull the
pedals out in about 10 seconds with the twist of two knobs. Of course if
you do not want to get out you need to do this before the water is too
shallow to get the pedals in a center position.

I have had mine for a couple of years (I forget when but I got it before
the first Christmas the year the came out whenever that was).

I get a little exccited about the Hobie, sorry. Not so say that there
are not other great paddle yaks. At times I have thought having another
paddle only boat might be nice. There is a new boat that I think is
close on amenities and maybe a few extra. I can not recall the name now.
But it should be available via a Google search. Not sure if it is called
the 'Angler' or 'Fishermen' or something similar. Still, for all around
and particularly if I have a distance to go, wind out or back, rough
water, the Hobie is what I want to be in. I use my leg muscles which
have more endurance than my arms and can go an avg. 3.5 mph all day
long. In a pinch I can sprint for a few hundred yards at 6 - 7 mph.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:50 AM
Hooked

"Rodney" wrote in message

If you can fish sitting down the Hobble is the way to go, that drive is
so much better than a paddle or ores, and you can cover a lot of water
faster than any other human powered boat
--

But can you put a trolling motor on it? That's why I'm buying a pontoon
boat. Plus it'll let me sit a little higher.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM
joe

In article ,
"Hooked" wrote:

But can you put a trolling motor on it? That's why I'm buying a pontoon
boat. Plus it'll let me sit a little higher.

You can put a trolling motor on the Hobie or any yak as well as a canoe.

If you insist on sitting while you fish I have no real answer though I
doubt you will be sitting much higher than you would in a canoe and I
doubt if you will have an option to stand with the pontoon at all.
Trolling motor or not you still have a very high wind profile. This is
one liability even of a canoe. I have heard several stories of canoers
getting in a tight spot as they can make no headway with the wind. Of
course a fast moving storm with high wind is a bad time not to be able
to go where you want. This was with a trolling motor. Probably with
considerable more thrust than the pontoon can accomodate with the
battery requirements.

Pontoons provide a stable platform but are, in my opinion more for
drifting than additionally getting from point to point. You can drift in
anything. And even though I have seen the pontoons rigged with oars I
still think that is more for providing postioning while you drift with
the current.

It will be interesting to see how the pontoon handles getting in/out of
breakers as well.

As always 'different strokes' but I can say I have rarely seen any
pontoon craft in my sal****er trips. On the other hand I have been to
some gatherings with over 100 kayaks, canoes with a piroughe or two for
good measure.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Wolfgang

"joe" wrote in message

You can put a trolling motor on...any yak...

****, Id pay a dollar to watch that.

Wolfgang
hold my beer.....watch this.