Fish finders

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Default Fish finders

I would like to buy my first fish finder. I think I would like
something that shows the depth, structure and fish. Also I would like
to be able to get and record my GPS location. I don't know if I need
color. Price isn't critical but I think $200 - $300 would be
wonderful.

Mike
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:18:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I would like to buy my first fish finder. I think I would like
something that shows the depth, structure and fish. Also I would like
to be able to get and record my GPS location. I don't know if I need
color. Price isn't critical but I think $200 - $300 would be
wonderful.

Mike

Mike - go to
http://www.humminbird.com/
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthewater/
and http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/ for starters.

You are right - $200-$300 WOULD be wonderful, but I really don't think
that you will find what you are looking for in that range. Suggestion:
Spend a few extra bucks to get exactly what you want. And please note
that those units with Color displays, while pricier, allow you to see
the display in almost any lighting condition, and from a distance.
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Larry[_2_]

wrote:

Mike - go to
http://www.humminbird.com/
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthewater/
and http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/ for starters.

You are right - $200-$300 WOULD be wonderful, but I really don't think
that you will find what you are looking for in that range. Suggestion:
Spend a few extra bucks to get exactly what you want. And please note
that those units with Color displays, while pricier, allow you to see
the display in almost any lighting condition, and from a distance.

I'd like to echo what he said. As someone who has had at least 4
different fish finders, a color screen is REALLY worth it, not because
of the color, but because it is so much BRIGHTER. I currently use a
Garmin 535 which is a lot more money, but at least I can SEE the thing.

The cheaper b/w screens are absolutely worthless if the sun is out.
OTOH, if you don't believe me, I still have a Garmin 168 in good shape
that I'd let go cheap.
--

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 8:46 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll take your advice. Do you have a specific recommendation.

Mike
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Oct 27, 8:44 am, Larry wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thank you, I'll take the advice. Do you have a specific
recommendation.
Mike
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Larry[_2_]

wrote:
On Oct 27, 8:44 am, Larry wrote:
wrote:
[...]

No, sorry. The Garmin 530 series is pretty good (but expensive), but I
haven't seen enough of the different brands to form a recommendation.
You really need to see them in action, particularly on sunny days.
--

Larry
rapp at lmr dot com
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Oct 28, 9:13 am, Larry wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 27, 8:44 am, Larry wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Larry. I'll keep looking.
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:11:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 26, 8:46 pm, wrote:
[...]

Mike, I don't have a specific recommendation, especially since I don't
the type of fishing that you do. I forgot to add - with the Lowrance
units, you can expect to pay 10-30% more than you would for another
brand with the same features....Just one of those "pay for the name"
things.

If I were in the market right now, I be sure to opt for COLOR, GPS
w/mapping capability, speed display and dual cone. Dual cone - in
shallower water, the wide cone shows more of the bottom area. Example:
In 12 feet of water, a wide cone may show you 8-10 feet of bottom,
where the narrow cone would give you 2-3 feet. With the mapping, some
units just plug into your computer and you can download maps from the
'net. IF you get one of these, be sure that both systems and software
are compatible.

My local BassPro has many different models on "demo" display, and
those with Color displays can easily be seen from the side, above or
below, even with bright light coming from behind you. The B&W or
monochrome displays are often sold with or have optional sun-shades -
for a good reason.