bass flies

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lee

Default bass flies

anyone have any suggestions on bass flies? I've tried the poppers with
rubber legs, but all I catch are panfish.

Old June 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John

Try Big poppers with big rubber legs with 2/0 to 3/0 hooks. They will
intimidate bluegill, plus they are too big for them to swallow.
Good luck!
John

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Lee" lbilliot wrote...
anyone have any suggestions on bass flies? I've tried the poppers with
rubber legs, but all I catch are panfish.

Stay tuned for a bass fly swap...coming soon to a ROFF near you.

In the meantime, my usual suspect for bass flies are all topwater deer hair
concoctions. Mostly a spun head with various colored feathers and hair out
the back. I'll toss a couple pics up over in binaries.

Dan
....and don't forget the Madam X -- size 6 or so

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Daniel-San wrote:

Stay tuned for a bass fly swap...coming soon to a ROFF near you.

Cool, so the "trash fish" swap is still in the works?

In the meantime, my usual suspect for bass flies are all topwater deer hair
concoctions. Mostly a spun head with various colored feathers and hair out
the back. I'll toss a couple pics up over in binaries.

Plus gurglers ... and clousers ... and hoppers.

And I'm guessing that Wolfgang's Pass Lake in large sizes would
work. (And I plan to find out if I can ever get some time on the water.)

...and don't forget the Madam X -- size 6 or so

Ah, so you've been using those, too? I don't know what the fish
take them for, but I've had good luck catching Guadalupe bass down here
on them. When fishing rivers I make a normal upstream cast and then let
them swing downstream from me before retrieving. I probably get almost
as many hits on the swing as on the drift.

Chuck Vance
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Daniel-San wrote:

Stay tuned for a bass fly swap...coming soon to a ROFF near you.

Cool, so the "trash fish" swap is still in the works?

In the meantime, my usual suspect for bass flies are all topwater deer
hair concoctions. Mostly a spun head with various colored feathers and
hair out the back. I'll toss a couple pics up over in binaries.

Plus gurglers ... and clousers ... and hoppers.

And I'm guessing that Wolfgang's Pass Lake in large sizes would work.
(And I plan to find out if I can ever get some time on the water.)

Somewhere in the stacks (well, "heaps," to be more precise.....but you know
what I mean) I have a pattern book which includes the Pass Lake tied as a
streamer, and I seem to recall (though this is by no means certain) that I
once encountered a reference stating that this was its original incarnation.
The swept back hackle and trude style hair-wing lend credence to this
theory.

I tied some as streamers many years ago but never did well with them.
However, this was generally the case with most of the multitude of patterns
I fished in those days, even proven standards, due largely, I suppose, to
the fact that if they didn't produce immediately I kept changing flies till
something did.

...and don't forget the Madam X -- size 6 or so

Ah, so you've been using those, too? I don't know what the fish take
them for, but I've had good luck catching Guadalupe bass down here on
them. When fishing rivers I make a normal upstream cast and then let them
swing downstream from me before retrieving. I probably get almost as many
hits on the swing as on the drift.

As we discussed down in N.C., this technique is sometimes amazingly
effective, especially with the Pass Lake and, to an even greater extent,
with the EHC.

Wolfgang
by the way, a new text in Nahuatl showed up in PG yesterday.

Old June 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

And I'm guessing that Wolfgang's Pass Lake in large sizes would work.
(And I plan to find out if I can ever get some time on the water.)

Somewhere in the stacks (well, "heaps," to be more precise.....but you know
what I mean) I have a pattern book which includes the Pass Lake tied as a
streamer, and I seem to recall (though this is by no means certain) that I
once encountered a reference stating that this was its original incarnation.
The swept back hackle and trude style hair-wing lend credence to this
theory.

IIRC, when I first saw mention of the fly (probably from your own
posts here on ROFF), I did a little research on it and found examples of
it tied and fished as a streamer. For my purposes, I've tied a few
modeled after the one you gave me, plus a couple a bit closer to the
Trude style with heavily wrapped hackle.

I tied some as streamers many years ago but never did well with them.
However, this was generally the case with most of the multitude of patterns
I fished in those days, even proven standards, due largely, I suppose, to
the fact that if they didn't produce immediately I kept changing flies till
something did.

That sounds familiar. Ironically, these days, if anything, I tend
to stay with a fly too *long*. :-)

And for those who are wondering about the Pass Lake -- Wolfgang gave
me one (what was it ... about a #14?) shortly after he arrived in the
Smokies, and it was responsible for the biggest fish I caught in the
whole trip, plus several smaller fish (and one LDR the next day that may
have been even larger than the big one I landed).

And all while sulphurs and yellow sallies were in the air. I still
don't understand how a black chenille-bodied, white calftail-winged,
brown-hackled fly can pass itself off as a yellow-bodied may or
stonefly, but I stopped questioning it after the first couple of
strikes. :-)

Ah, so you've been using those, too? I don't know what the fish take
them for, but I've had good luck catching Guadalupe bass down here on
them. When fishing rivers I make a normal upstream cast and then let them
swing downstream from me before retrieving. I probably get almost as many
hits on the swing as on the drift.

As we discussed down in N.C., this technique is sometimes amazingly
effective, especially with the Pass Lake and, to an even greater extent,
with the EHC.

Exactly. And then there's the old tried-and-true method of just
dangling the fly in the water and dragging it behind you as you walk
upstream. :-)

Wolfgang
by the way, a new text in Nahuatl showed up in PG yesterday.

Whaaa?! I need more info, please.

Chuck Vance (hey, these things don't happen every day)
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Conan The Librarian" wrote ...
Daniel-San wrote:

Stay tuned for a bass fly swap...coming soon to a ROFF near you.

Cool, so the "trash fish" swap is still in the works?

Yep... it'll be a nice break from the Donnelley Company archives. I'll
repost the announcement in a coupla weeks.

In the meantime, my usual suspect for bass flies are all topwater deer
hair concoctions. Mostly a spun head with various colored feathers and
hair out the back. I'll toss a couple pics up over in binaries.

Plus gurglers ... and clousers ... and hoppers.

In NE Illernoise, I've had crapola luck wth gurglers for bass. Most likely a
problem with the Indian rather than the arrow. As to Clousers, I guess I
just prefer topwater fishing.

And I'm guessing that Wolfgang's Pass Lake in large sizes would work.
(And I plan to find out if I can ever get some time on the water.)

I've tied the Pass Lake up to a size 8, IIRC, and have had fair luck with
it, but like the gurgler, it seems to be mostly a 'gill bug around here. The
bass have ignored it so far. Or, perhaps more likely, I haven't put it in
front of enough bass....

...and don't forget the Madam X -- size 6 or so

Ah, so you've been using those, too? I don't know what the fish take
them for, but I've had good luck catching Guadalupe bass down here on
them. When fishing rivers I make a normal upstream cast and then let them
swing downstream from me before retrieving. I probably get almost as many
hits on the swing as on the drift.

Great fly. One of my favorites for warmwater fishing. I've had good luck
with it for bass and gills. I usually toss it to the edge of a weedbed and
fish it as if it were a floating Rapala. Let it sit a second or three, then
a very slow, "twitchy" retrieve. For rivers, I do the same as you with
about the same results. I have no idea what the fish think it is, but I do
have more luck with the rattier, used flies than with the new ones. (Of
course, my "new" flies tend to look a little ratty, so I guess I'm ahead of
the game a little.)

Dan

Old June 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

As we discussed down in N.C., this technique is sometimes amazingly
effective, especially with the Pass Lake and, to an even greater extent,
with the EHC.

Exactly. And then there's the old tried-and-true method of just
dangling the fly in the water and dragging it behind you as you walk
upstream. :-)

Or just standing still and letting it dangle in the current.

Wolfgang
by the way, a new text in Nahuatl showed up in PG yesterday.

Whaaa?! I need more info, please.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/nah

Chuck Vance (hey, these things don't happen every day)

Looks like it has happened exactly three times.

Wolfgang

Old June 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message
et...

I've tied the Pass Lake up to a size 8, IIRC, and have had fair luck with
it, but like the gurgler, it seems to be mostly a 'gill bug around here.
The bass have ignored it so far. Or, perhaps more likely, I haven't put it
in front of enough bass....

I tie them exclusively in 14s these days. Surprisingly, I've taken a few
largemouths up to twelve or fourteen inches.....while fishing for bluegills.
Bigger might be better, but I've never really thought of it as a bass bug
either.

Wolfgang

Old June 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

[Nahuatl text in PG]

Whaaa?! I need more info, please.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/nah

Oh great ... now I'm gonna have to dig out my glossary and try to
translate that sucker. Thanks, Wolfgang. :-}

Chuck Vance (hey, these things don't happen every day)

Looks like it has happened exactly three times.

And that's at least two more than I would have expected. :-)

Chuck Vance (hey, it's not like we're talking about Latin ... or
even Sanskrit)