West Point with Dan

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default West Point with Dan

Thursday - 1-10-08 - Day 10

Dan arrived at about dark last night - he is headed toward some warm
weather for part of January. We got up this morning and headed to West
Point. Talked about going to Jackson but I thought odds were better at
West Point. Also have my next tournament there a week from Sunday and
the lake has come up over 5 feet - wanted to check it out.

Although I got a big fish at Jackson last Sunday we had 15 people in
the tournament fishing for eight hours and brought in only 28 bass.
Hoped we could do better at West Point.

Water temps ranged from 52 to 57. Below 109 Bridge water was pretty
clear to real clear, some stain above the bridge. Cloudy all day, calm
until about 10 then pretty good wind.

We fished from 8:45 AM to 5:15 PM and never hooked a fish. We tried
about seven different crankbaits, jerk baits, Carolina rigs, jig and
pig, spinnerbaits, bucktails and jigging spoons. Fished shallow rocks,
brush and clay and fished windblown riprap and rocky and clay points.
Threw into blowdowns, Tried mouths of pockets and secondary points
going back. Spent about three hours jigging spoons from 20 to 35 feet
deep on roadbeds and points around brush and baitfish I saw on the
depthfinder without a bite.

Barometer, water temp, clouds and wind all pointed to a good day. Even
a Solunar Tables major feeding period starting at 12:50 PM. NOPE!
Frustrating day.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jack Schmitt

"Ronnie" wrote in message
Thursday - 1-10-08 - Day 10

Dan arrived at about dark last night - he is headed toward some warm
weather for part of January. We got up this morning and headed to West
Point. Talked about going to Jackson but I thought odds were better at
West Point. Also have my next tournament there a week

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

snipped

My grandfather told me years ago; "That's why it is called fishing and not
catching".

Hope you have better luck next Sunday.
J.

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

You do any weightless dead sticking?

Old January 12th, 2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Jan 11, 6:01*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

[...]

Dan tried a Senko some. I didn't.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message

[...]

text -

Dan tried a Senko some. I didn't.

I was just wondering. In about the same water temps I have been grinding
out a few bites totally deadsticking small weightless plastics in clear
water on light flouro line. Of course they are in areas I know hold fish,
so its just a matter of hitting them in the strike zone and getting them to
bite. It takes a lot of patience to fish that way though.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:59:58 -0800 (PST), Ronnie
wrote:

[...]

But I did catch GA fish that fought very well. And the gracious host
was a plus! Maybe on the way back we can hook up some Bass or cook up
some of those feisty fighten GA fish I caught!

Thanks again for a good time Ronnie!

The vacationer
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

We are always open - come on back.

Ronnie

http://fishing.aboiut.com

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
gwilber

Ronnie, you should have found a tournament to take Dan to. You would
have caught them good for sure then.

Gary