another bumpkin question

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default another bumpkin question

As reported recently, I "need" a new cell phone. I only use the damn
thing in summer to call home, but went to the Verizon store today cause I
was near there for a Dr appointment.

Seems they only have expensive do everything models and all I want to do is
talk.

My suggestion that I "really don't give a damn about text messages and
downloaded music" seemed to completely shock the maybe 20something girl at
the store and she didn't seem to have a clue whether it was even possible to
get just a simple phone and have it programmed for Verizon service ( we have
a family plan for the three of us ... the other two don't swim their phones
as often as I do )

My only 'special' need is a loud phone ( not ringer, the actual sound of the
caller's voice ) as I am nearly deaf. Do any of you technodudes out there
know where to get a cheap cell phone and how to get it working on my Verizon
account and # ???

Worth asking

Old January 17th, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 17, 1:37 am, "Larry L" wrote:
[...]

Donīt know about the USA, but more and more people here are asking for
simple telephones again. They donīt want all the various devices which
may be included. If you search for "simple cell phone" you should
find something suitable.

This is one such development;

http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=50814

Here is one which runs with Verizon;

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-32091062.html

Sounds as if that is what you want.

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Mike wrote:

Here is one which runs with Verizon;

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-32091062.html

Sounds as if that is what you want.

No offense, Mike, but you don't know how cell phones work (or,
rather, don't work) here in the U.S.

Here, unlike essentially everywhere else in the world you don't
just buy a phone and slip in a sim card and buy air time (or a
contract) and go. No, here, for some effing reason, folks have
bought into the idea that you buy a phone (or get one free) IF
you commit to a one- or two-year "plan." Pretty much any
Verizon-compliant phone Larry buys, in order to get it to work
with his plan, he will have to extend his plan or get a new plan
or some damn thing. (Note that in the review you linked to, the
phone is "free with a two-year contract").

Biggest scam ever. Europeans (and even Africans) laugh
themselves silly when you explain it to them.

One alternative, Larry, is just to go to Target, buy a $39
T-mobile *prepaid* phone and just buy airtime cards as you need
them. If you don't like the cheapo phone you get at Target, toss
it out (or save it as a spare), buy an *unlocked* GMS phone on
Amazon and put the T-mobile sim card in it.

-JR

Old January 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack Schmitt

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I have fished in lower Chile
and Argentina 4 times over the last 10 years. I think you are, on the
basis of my experience, going to run into access problems on most rivers
unless you work to some extent with the outfitters.

I had good to excellent fishing on all the trips. If I am fortunate to go
back to the area I will most assuredly at least contact some outfitters.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jack in Brentwood, TN.

Old January 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...zon/4505-6454_...

[...]

None taken, I donīt know anything about it as you say. It just seemed
nobody was replying and I admit I did think that it was a simple
matter of getting another phone, and putting the sim card in it.
Obviously I was wrong!

Does sound like a scam.

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Purely as a matter of interest, I have had the same cell-phone for
quite a few years now. When my original contract with T-online ran out
( Two years is also standard here), I just got a Sim card from "Blue"
for it. . No contract is required. I pay 5 Euros a month for network
access, and extra for any calls I make, but this is very cheap, and as
I hardly ever use the phone anyway, it is ideal for me.

My phone is waterproof and not susceptible to damage from dropping it
etc. It was a development form Siemens, especially for engineers etc
who work outside.

This is it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_ME45

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Jack Schmitt" wrote in message
. ..

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I have fished in lower Chile
and Argentina 4 times over the last 10 years. I think you are, on the
basis of my experience, going to run into access problems on most rivers
unless you work to some extent with the outfitters.

I had good to excellent fishing on all the trips. If I am fortunate to go
back to the area I will most assuredly at least contact some outfitters.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jack in Brentwood, TN.

Thanks .... I will try to establish contacts in the areas I want to visit
before going there ... already have a tiny bit ... and will pick the brains
of a couple people I know that have been there I know I'll need
help, I've nothing against paying for information or for truly special
place access ...

Old January 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

It is worthwhile getting a waterproof case for your mobile phone
anyway. I gave a few similar to these, printed with my business
details, away as presents to various anglers etc and they were well
received.

Doubtless there will be similar waterproof phone bags etc available in
the USA.

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JR" wrote

One alternative, Larry, is just to go to Target, buy a $39
T-mobile *prepaid* phone and just buy airtime cards as you need
them. If you don't like the cheapo phone you get at Target, toss
it out (or save it as a spare), buy an *unlocked* GMS phone on
Amazon and put the T-mobile sim card in it.

Um, I'm already signed up for at least another year with Verizon. I don't
have a clue how it works elsewhere but it is most assuredly a scam here.

T-Mobile question .... got any idea if it works in Greater Yellowstone area?
I got Verizon service after calling people I know there and asking what
service seemed to have the best coverage ( this was several years ago ) ...
the plan we have allows me to call home as often and as long as I want at no
'extra' cost ... an account or prepay that billed me for each minute might
add up to more, especially if I was 'out of area' for that service

oh, I checked the T-mobile site before posting this but the map of coverage
was difficult to read

Old January 17th, 2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:37:55 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

[...]

Go he http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.html

Just because a phone has optional features, doesn't make it expensive
or mean that you have to use/pay for them.

I have a phone that does everything except shine my shoes. Didn't
cost me any more than a simple talk/listen only phone.