HOOKED

Old January 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Milo Milo

Default HOOKED

i was tying double leader hooks not long ago for carp fishing i was
using #4 wide bend hooks a # 3 3 way swivle n 40 lb leader line after
tying 11 sets of hooks i was finnaly on my last set i usually use pliers
to sinch the knots up but this time like a dum ass knowing what may
happen i put the tag end of the line between my teen to sinch it up
and of coarse it slipped and the hook went right thru my bottom lip
suprisingly it didnt hurt at all untill my son got the cutting pliers to
cut off the barb end so we could get the hook out the next couple days
was rough let me tell ya
any one else with a similar story

Old January 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Jan 17, 6:13*pm, (Milo Milo) wrote:
i was tying double leader hooks not long ago for carp fishing i was
using #4 wide bend hooks *a # 3 *3 way swivle n 40 lb leader line after
tying 11 sets of hooks i was finnaly on my last set i usually use pliers
to sinch the knots up but this time like a dum ass knowing what may
happen i put the tag end of the line between my teen to sinch it up
* and of coarse it slipped and the hook went right thru my bottom lip
suprisingly it didnt hurt at all untill my son got the cutting pliers to
cut off the barb end so *we could get the hook out the next couple days
was rough let me tell ya
* any one else with a similar story

None to equal that.
Frank Reid

Old January 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
while-one

On Jan 17, 5:13 pm, (Milo Milo) wrote:

any one else with a similar story

On the Big Horn 15 years ago I had my dad in my boat.
We were going tandem with another boat, which was
my buddy Pius Geiger (a Billings hardwood floor contractor)
and our family doctor Doug.

We (my dad and I) saw the other boat slowly cart-wheeling
down the river at one point. I pushed on the oars and caught
up. Doug had snagged a giant #2 long-shanked Woolly Bugger
in Pius' upper lip. Pius had a huge ****-eating grin, with
mouth and chin totally slobbered in blood. Red stuff was
dripping off his chin like ketchup out of bbq bottle.

And I didn't get a photo. That grin and that Woolly Bugger,
which looked like a 4" red-soaked mustache, could have
been prize winning shot.

It took Doug (the doctor) a good ten minutes to get that
hook out.
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jan 18, 8:13*am, (Milo Milo) wrote:
i was tying double leader hooks not long ago for carp fishing i was
using #4 wide bend hooks *a # 3 *3 way swivle n 40 lb leader line after
tying 11 sets of hooks i was finnaly on my last set i usually use pliers
to sinch the knots up but this time like a dum ass knowing what may
happen i put the tag end of the line between my teen to sinch it up
* and of coarse it slipped and the hook went right thru my bottom lip
suprisingly it didnt hurt at all untill my son got the cutting pliers to
cut off the barb end so *we could get the hook out the next couple days
was rough let me tell ya
* any one else with a similar story

Closest story to that happened when I was 17. Baitfishing on a lake in
Maine, I got a smallmouth and he pretty much swallowed the entire
thing. I was holding him by the bottom lip, thumb down in his mouth,
and since I didn't have a tool to reach down his throat, I just yanked
*really* hard on the trace. The hook tore loose from his gills, and
embedded itself at the base of my thumbnail, right up to the bend.
Problem was, the barb was embedded up by my knuckle so it was
impossible to cut off the barb and release it, and impossible to push
it the rest of the way through. We tried everything...all the old
'unhooking' tricks, and nothing worked. Eventually, I asked my buddy
just to slice my thumb open from thumbnail to knuckle, but he was too
wigged out to do it (as I was). So we lashed the hook down, rowed
ashore, found some old guy sitting on his porch and asked him to do
it. (Don't know why we didn;t just think of going to the hospital...)
He took the knife, squeezed my thumb, then put the sharp blade against
the bend of the hook right near where it went under the skin, and
YANKED!!! The hooked popped out, taking a small chunk of my thumb with
it, but damn it came out. Still have a little scar, but I think its
from the infection that followed (fish guts and all that) more than
the wound.

Still creeps me out when think about it. That damn fool could have
ripped my thumb off! :-)

--riverman
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

Yeesh!

The one thing such stories have in common: they would be barely interesting
(and a whole lot less traumatic) if barbless hooks had been used.

I'm surprised drift boat pilots wouldn't insist on clients fishing sans barbs.
If you're on my boat or in one of my canoes, you're fishing barbless, or
you're on the beach...

/daytripper (got barbed once, didn't like it. it won't happen again)
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack Schmitt

"while-one" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 5:13 pm, (Milo Milo) wrote:

any one else with a similar story

snipped

My fishing companion of 40 years, now deceased, was fishing alone in his
boat early one morning on Priest Lake near Nashville. He hooked a mid-sized
hybrid on a top water popper and when he tried to land the fish by lipping
him, the fish jumped and embedded the hook in his thumb. To make matters
worse he accidentally hit the trolling motor switch and ended up wrapping
the line in the motor,effectively securing him to the bow of the boat with
no knife and unable to reach his paddle. I was fishing near and heard him
yelling. He was freed and with an anesthetic of ice pushed the hook
through, cut off the barb and sent him for a tetanus injection.

Two days later he showed me his new landing net.

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Pete[_10_]

I was fishing a streamer on the tippet, and a nymph on a dropper, a
rainbow took the streamer....

It appered to be lightly hooked in the lip, so I decided to unhook it
in the water for an easy release. As I was sliding my hand down the
tippet, reaching for the streamer hook shank, the fish made a lunge
that embedded the nymph firmly on the ball of my thumb....

I was stuck with a panicked rainbow on one hook, and myself on the
other, separated by about 2 feet of leader.

The fish wasn't big enough to break my 3X tippet.... I hads no choice,
I ripped the (barbed) hook out of my thumb. Then did a more
conventional realease after using the net.

--
Pete