Rod repair advice

Old July 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

Default Rod repair advice

Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old July 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 4, 9:32*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

I have been around rod building for quite awhile and haven't heard of
builders using rubber cement. Five minute epoxy is often used.

Jeff Shafer
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 4, 3:32*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

. Most people use either five minute epoxy or hot melt glue.

It is best to avoid glues and cements which contain various solvents,
as many will attack the epoxy /carbon fibre (graphite) composite. This
is especially dangerous on fine tips.

TL
MC

http://www.mike1.bplaced.net/Wikka/HomePage
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/answers/tipfix.htm

Old July 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jack Schmitt

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

While working in a fly shop, I saw many rods with tips that had been
replaced using super glue. Almost all were off line. We used 5 minute epoxy
for repairs after removal of the tips using carefully applied heat.

Old July 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 4, 9:32*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

For the best of bass fishing go to" www.openzonemusic.com/fishing
" "no there is no reason you could use it or not."
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Jul 4, 6:32*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Traditional ferrule cement seemed not to adhere
to IM6 graphite when I needed to replace a tiptop.
Is there any reason not to use rubber cement?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)