Just watched the Bassmasters

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:25 PM
RichZ

Default Just watched the Bassmasters

I gotta say that as far as tournament coverage, ESPN has gotten it right
with the bassmasters. The show is almost all fishing, with the weigh-in
coverage only consisting of highlights of the leaders. You can actually get
a feel for what the leaders are doing and the strategies and adjustments
they make.

But -- although I hate beating a dead horse -- Iaconelli is still an ass.
The feigned enthusiasm and overboard celebration at every fish is just too
much. You can't scream "it's a giant" every time you are fighting a fish,
then weigh in an 8 pound limit Mike. But my biggest problem with him was
the fact that when he was leaving in a hurry, he threw the life jacket on
and didn't buckle it. It's right there on tape, and it's a violation of the
rules.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM
AJH

Did he get Dis- qualified?

"If you go to bed stupid, you will wake up stupid"

Old February 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
go-bassn

Man, the guy wins the Classic, then gets 4th in his next Bassmaster
tourney...

YOU GUYS R TOUGH!

When are you gonna realize that he's a unique individual, yes, but one of
the great anglers in our sport?!

End of rant :-)

I gotta get my VCR going one of these Saturdays, I keep forgetting about the
show as I shuffle off to work!

Warren

Old February 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
RichZ

Go-bassn wrote:
When are you gonna realize that he's a unique individual, yes, but one of
the great anglers in our sport?!

I don't disagree. But if BASS doesn't DQ him for the Life Jacket in Harris,
then BASS is just as bad at letting the winner get away with violations as
FLW is for the license at Wheeler.

You fish BASS, Warren. You're familiar with Rule # 4. Maybe Ike figures
there's an exemption for aholes?

4. SAFETY: Safe boat conduct must be observed at all times by tournament
competitors. During the official practice and competition, each competitor
is required to wear a Coast Guard-approved chest-type life preserver. This
preserver must be worn anytime the combustion engine is operating. This
preserver must be strapped, snapped or zippered securely and maintained in
that condition until the combustion engine is shut off. Violation of this
rule shall be reason for disqualification.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old February 7th, 2004, 09:49 PM
go-bassn

I'm all for safety Rich (just see my site's homepage lol, does that thing
make me look fat?), my question to you is this - would you be making an
issue of this if Rick Clunn had been the guy that did it? Gary Klein?

We've all done it.

I once made a 20 mile run on the Potomac before I realized that I was
sitting on my pfd. My guess is Mike zipped his before he went 1/8 mile.

As far as I know nobody has every been dq'ed from a BASS tourney for not
locking their pfd.

Also, to be dq'ed for such an offense you must either be a) protested by a
fellow competitor (pro or amateur), b) seen by a tournament official, c)
turn yourself in (it's been done for other violations, BASS guys are such
class acts) or d) cited & reported by an officer of the law. Additionally,
all of the above must be done within 1 hour* of the conclusion of the
weigh-in.

Turning the ignition key before strapping in & hooking up the killswitch is
worthy of a slap on the wrist, at least IMHO.

Warren

* not sure about the hour,it may be up to 2 hours...
-
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:00 PM

I'll lay odds that any kid that watches this show is going to like guys
that show a lot of enthusiasm & fist pumping over some of our old
favorites like Clunn or Biffle. Let's face it, with all the glitz &
glamour that all the other sports are trying to show on t.v. we got to
give the youngsters something that will hold their attention longer than
a video game if we want to keep them interested in a fishing tourney on
the tube.

Old February 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Huck Palmatier

Mike I.'s antics...he's just auditioning for a TV show of his own. said
Huck

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
luv2bafield

"RichZ" wrote in message
SNIP
But -- although I hate beating a dead horse -- Iaconelli is still an ass.
The feigned enthusiasm and overboard celebration at every fish is just

too
much. You can't scream "it's a giant" every time you are fighting a fish,
then weigh in an 8 pound limit Mike. But my biggest problem with him was
the fact that when he was leaving in a hurry, he threw the life jacket on
and didn't buckle it. It's right there on tape, and it's a violation of

the
rules.

Please, let's don't go there again. I have had enough Iaconelli posts to
last a life time

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
AJH

"our sport" has many great anglers that are gentleman...

"If you go to bed stupid, you will wake up stupid"