Prefish Wasted

Old October 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Prefish Wasted

I have a tournametn in a couple weeks up at Lake Havsu. I have'nt fished
Havasu in over 20 years so I decided to kill two stones with one bird. I
needed some service done on ym ouboard and Lakeland Marine up in Lake Havasu
has a good reputation. I made an appointment witht hem for friday morning.
I dropped off the boat and went looking for some bank fishing access on the
lake. I found a great area called Mosquito Bay. Lots of accessible banks
with grass beds and tulies not to far off shore. I caught a buynch of small
bass casting a drop shot. I even walked out on a fishing oier further out
in the bay and saw tons of artificial fish habitat with lots of little bass
swimming around. Cool. Too good to be true. I found one of those regular
fishing spots before I even got my boat out on the water.

After I picked up my boat I headed to some other areas on the lake hoping to
figure out some patterns. As the sun started to fall low in the sky I
headed back up to Mosquito Bay. I caught several fish on topwater including
a heavy 2+ and a huge sunfish. Cool. Nothing that will win a tournament,
but I found a few fish if nothing else pans out. As the sun was going down
and I headed back out of the bay a guy on the fishing pier yelled over to
me, "Hey, I thought there weren't any boats allowed back here."

Huh? As I head back out past the no wake buoys I noticed they all said, "NO
WATERCRAFT BEYOND THIS POINT." Oops. Well I did find some fish, but it
won't do me a bit of good. Atleast it was another angler and not an
enforcement officer that pointed out my mistake.

I tried something different this morning. I tried to find some coves with
similar cover and depth contours as Mosquito Bay at first. No success. I
found some ares that are a little bit similar, but much shallower over all.
Looks like tons of old spawning beds. Might do me some good next spring
anyway.

Then I headed upriver out of the lake. I got confused for a minute and
thought I was back down in Yuma dodging sandbars, and flipping tulie lines
in heavy current. I did flip one fish, but didn't get him in the boat.
Looked to be a heavy 2 or light 3 pounder. I spent two hours flipping, but
that was the only bite I got. A littler later I got one slap on a crankbait
out of a grassbed in the current protected by a sandbar. I spent more time
trying different cranks in and aroud that area and then switched to a
dropshot, but that was it. Just the one.

So far Havasu is kicking my tushie. I haven't even located any solid one
fish spots that I can go to like I have here.

--
Bob La Londe

Cheapskate's Ways to Do Fishing Stuff
(The Frugal Fisherman)
Through the Month of October 2005

http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old October 9th, 2005, 02:26 AM
John Kerr

Bob, what tournament you fishing on Havasu?

John

Old October 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Bob La Londe

"John Kerr" wrote in message
Bob, what tournament you fishing on Havasu?

John

WON Bass Colorado River Region Buddy Team Tournament. October 22nd.

Old October 9th, 2005, 04:58 AM
John Kerr

Prefish Wasted

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sat, Oct 8, 2005, 7:07pm (CDT-2)
From: (Bob=A0La=A0Londe)
"John Kerr" wrote in message
Bob, what tournament you fishing on Havasu?
John
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
WON Bass Colorado River Region Buddy Team Tournament. October 22nd.
--
Bob La Londe
Cheapskate's Ways to Do Fishing Stuff
(The Frugal Fisherman)
Through the Month of October 2005
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Bob, John is fishing the Southern team championship at Havasu next week.
That is usually a good Lake for him, I'll see what he has to say after
the tournament...I'll let you know.

John

Old October 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM
go-bassn

Years ago I was in a big tournament at Raystown Lake in PA. I found a heep
of big largemouths in a marina about 10 miles from the launch, in practice.
Don't ya know the day before the tournament for some reason they moved the
launch to THAT marina?! And of course they made it off-limits too.

Warren