Dave's Flexament

Old November 17th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Bryan

Default Dave's Flexament

I have found that most normal fly tying cement can be thined with acetone -
except Dave Flexament. I was told that Dave's Flexament is vinyl based.
I've tried using acetone and it just screws it up. I've also tried mineral
spirits and lacquer thinner but they don't work either. Does anyone know
what could be used to thin it down a little? Mine gets pretty thick after
opening the bottle repeatedly. I see that there is a Dave Flexament thinner
but I can't find it in the stores.

Old November 17th, 2003, 02:20 AM
mmcgr

Bryan wrote:
I have found that most normal fly tying cement can be thined with acetone -
except Dave Flexament. I was told that Dave's Flexament is vinyl based.
I've tried using acetone and it just screws it up. I've also tried mineral
spirits and lacquer thinner but they don't work either. Does anyone know
what could be used to thin it down a little? Mine gets pretty thick after
opening the bottle repeatedly. I see that there is a Dave Flexament thinner
but I can't find it in the stores.

Try toluene. May be a bit hard to find. TrueValue hardware stores have
it around here (SF bay area). Paint stores might also be a place to look.

Mike

Old November 17th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Allen Epps

In article . net,
mmcgr wrote:

Bryan wrote:
I have found that most normal fly tying cement can be thined with acetone -
except Dave Flexament. I was told that Dave's Flexament is vinyl based.
I've tried using acetone and it just screws it up. I've also tried mineral
spirits and lacquer thinner but they don't work either. Does anyone know
what could be used to thin it down a little? Mine gets pretty thick after
opening the bottle repeatedly. I see that there is a Dave Flexament thinner
but I can't find it in the stores.

Try toluene. May be a bit hard to find. TrueValue hardware stores have
it around here (SF bay area). Paint stores might also be a place to look.

Mike

If you find Toluene I seem to recall it's pretty toxic stuff so be
careful (unless I'm wrong then have a ball)
Allen
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:39 AM
vincent p. norris

I have found that most normal fly tying cement can be thined with acetone -
except Dave Flexament..... Does anyone know what could be used to thin it down a little?

I've heasrd that toluene, aka toluol, will do it.

I make my own "Flexament" by mixing some "Goop" and toluene to get the
right consistency. I understand the fumes can cause birth defects,
though. So if you're of baby-making age, you might want to avoid it.

vince
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:56 AM
George Adams

From: vincent p. norris

I make my own "Flexament" by mixing some "Goop" and toluene to get the
right consistency. I understand the fumes can cause birth defects,
though. So if you're of baby-making age, you might want to avoid it.

Toluene is very toxic. IIRC it is a major component in the manufacture of
phosgene (sp?) gas.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old November 17th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Wolfgang

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
I have found that most normal fly tying cement can be thined with

acetone -
except Dave Flexament..... Does anyone know what could be used to thin

it down a little?

I've heasrd that toluene, aka toluol, will do it.

I make my own "Flexament" by mixing some "Goop" and toluene to get the
right consistency. I understand the fumes can cause birth defects,
though.

As can a decent Chardonnay, from what I hear.

So if you're of baby-making age, you might want to avoid it.

As single man, I've got to say there's something seriously twisted about the
logic in that statement.

Wolfgang

Old November 17th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Bob Eury

Toxicity of toluene:

Calm down guys. Let's put things in perspective here. Toluene is a suspected
carcinogen. Benzene is a known carcinogen. Both are present at high levels in
gasoline. Treat the toluene (or toluol) with the respect and care that you
would gasoline.

Perhaps toluene was used as a solvent in the manufacturing of phosgene but the
toxicity of phosgene and toluene have no relationship to each other. I started
to list my credentials here but you wouldn't know them to be true, so don't
take my word for it. You can find the the MSDS online. In the future, if you
have a question regarding the toxicity of any material, just perform a search
for it's MSDS.

I have included the URLs for the MSDS of several compounds for your review.
For most people, just reading the MSDS for a compound isn't very informative.
That is why I included several different ones so that you can compare between
them.

Toluene
http://www.bandj.com/BJMSDS/MSDS_PDF/TOLUENE.pdf

Gasoline
http://www.hess.com/about/msds/Gaso_Reg_0323_clr.pdf

Ethyl alcohol (the alcohol that is consumed)
http://www.aaper.com/aapermsds/6Ethyl%20190.pdf

Phosgene
http://www.vngas.com/pdf/g67.pdf

Old November 17th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Wolfgang

"Bob Eury" wrote in message
.....I started
to list my credentials here but you wouldn't know them to be true, so

don't
take my word for it......

We know the credentials of most of the correspondents on these pages to be
fabrications.......and not particularly adept frauds at that. And yet, this
knowledge does not in the least diminish our deep and abiding respect for
them. Go ahead and list.

Wolfgang

Old November 17th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Brimbum

Mike wrote:Try toluene. May be a bit hard to find. TrueValue hardware stores
have
it around here (SF bay area). Paint stores might also be a place to look.

Mike

The stuff is so nasty lots of cities no longer allow it to be sold.

Big Dale