Oahu charter fishing boats

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Lawrence

Default Oahu charter fishing boats

I'm looking for any firsthand advise on 1/2 day or full day good charter
boats out of Oahu. I would like to catch tuna.

Thanks,
Lawrence

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Ken Tanaka

Aloha Lawrence,

By tuna, I assume you mean Ahi (Yellowfin). Go to www.sportfishhawaii.com
and click on "charters for all islands,". IMHO, the best charter on Oahu is
the Magic, captained by Russell Tanaka (no relation - Tanaka is like Smith &
Jones). I believe he catches more fish than any other charter on Oahu.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was in my thirties and just started deep sea trolling, my new 21 foot 1976
GlasPly Cuddy was moored at Kewalo Basin. He already had a reputation for
catching Ahi. At that time he was just out of high school. I don't know
him personally but know of him. E-mail me if you have any questions. The
Ahi is already making its run and will last for several more months. I've
yet to catch anything over forty-three pounds this year (Ono/Wahoo).

Back in February a hugh Marlin nearly stripped my PENN 80 STW International
II when the 150# PowerPro (500 yds) I had as backing to my 130# mono
snapped. Six inches of PowerPro dangled from the reel. The line (brand
new) was not dug into the spool so I knew it was defective. Last year I
fought a forty plus Mahi for 45 min when the 65# PowerPro in my 320 GTi
snapped. That's it for PowerPro.

Ken Tanaka
Pearl City, HI

KUKOA