Strange hit from bass

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Todd Copeland

Default Strange hit from bass

Went fishing at the phosphate pits in Lakeland, FL this past Friday. Great
day... 81 degrees, sunshine and the water was quite warm at 75 degrees. Had
the strangest day though. Was fishing with a crank bait and last fish caught
was a catfish. I was wondering why the fish was so hard to pull up. But that
was not the strangest thing. I threw the crank bait up to shore and it
nailed a fallen tree limb. You know the kind... it hit the tree limb with a
"thud" and did not move. It's a sure bet it's not coming loose. my friend in
the boat commented that I was snagged good. The next thing I
know.."wap"..... a bass actually came up out of the water and grabbed the
crank bait while it was stuck on the limb! I could not believe it. The lure
was a couple of inches out of the water.

Here are the links to a couple of photos I took (they are rather large...
and direct links. Sorry):
http://toddcopeland.dyndns.org/MVC-626S.JPG
http://toddcopeland.dyndns.org/MVC-627S.JPG

Old March 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM
The Citizen Fisherman

I think maybe you are onto a new approach, albeit one difficult to
duplicate...

--
Tight lines,
Citizen Fisherman

Old March 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

......nothing new there at all, use this method in the large lily pads and
look out, deadly as deadly can be! "T" rigged, with a bead, floating tail 7"
worms or craws work well. Let the tail dangle, tap the weight with the line
while on top of the pad to make sound and rings in the water surface. No
line splashing. Use the pad stem as a telegraph wire. For the bigger fish
let it slip off of the pad and into the water and wait BAM! Ultra-deadly
;-))
Oh and this pad method is good post spawn 'till the water temp hits the high
seventies during the day and sometimes on the edges at dusk till midnight
anytime.
--
Stony

.. .

Todd Copeland wrote:
[...]

---

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Todd Copeland" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Pretty cool that you took pictures. I've had this happen and seen it before
happen to my friend Gil. It's happened often enough that there's a couple
spots where I'll deliberately throw over a small limb and bounce the lure
above the water's surface so I can watch a bass jump out of the water and
grab the lure. The weight of the fish causes the limb to bend down and free
the line, it's pretty cool.

It doesn't really surprise me, not when you think about the number of
dragonflys, and other flying insects that a bass eats. Congratulations on
getting the fish.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Charles Summers

Awesome catch Mr. Copeland!

There's hope for me afterall!

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old March 7th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Lure builder

I agree it is a strange hit. I have also had some strange runs on you tieing
into the fish. Like jumping across the bow of the canoe, heading straight for
the weed patch, beaching itself on the shore, and wiring you up on a buoy line.

Old March 7th, 2004, 10:55 PM
alwayfishking

I had a strange hit last year too. I was fishing boom lake in WI and I
suddenly felt my spinnerbait stop, sure enough it was a bass on the other
end. weirdest thing, shocked the hell out of me. : )
R-

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
Awesome catch Mr. Copeland!

There's hope for me afterall!