Today's trip.

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Sarge

Default Today's trip.

I fished today out of Kenner, La in Lake Ponchatrain. I hit the artificial
reefs west the Causeway and fish the pilings of the West bridge about 3 to 4
miles out back to the shore. Total take was 7 trout, 1 red and 4 flounder.
Two trout went 3.5 lbs. and two 3 lbs., the rest were all between 1.5 and 2
lbs. The red was 5 lbs. and the flounder were all 1.5 to 2 lbs.

I had a spectacular site this morning when I first got to the artificial
reefs. I decided to drop the trolling motor to work the reef since no one
else was out there. On my first cast I had a backlash and my lure only went
about 20 feet. As I worked to get the birds nest out, I kept jerking the
lure. By the time I worked the birds nest out, I started reeling in to
throw out again. I was reeling real fast so the lure was just below the
water surface. All of the sudden my lure comes out of the water about 6
feet from the boat with a trout behind it. The lure hits the water and the
trout was gone, then a split second latter the trout swallowed the lure.
The lure was deep enough in the trout mouth, that I needed a needle nose
pliers to remove it. It was almost like top water fishing with a Deadly
Dudley.

Water was very clear and you can see about 3 foot down. While over the
reef, I seen a few reds or trout past chasing bait. The fish are there, it
is just a matter of getting them to bite. I cut open the belly of the fish
I caught and they all had empty bellies. Last time, they were all full over
croakers. Four of the trout had just laid her eggs and the other three were
full of eggs.

Not bad for 4 hours of fishing. Decided to come home due to the wind
picking up and some dark clouds appearing. Not sure if the are going to
stay around or not but not going to chance it.

Brent