fish finder on portable boats

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Default fish finder on portable boats

On Feb 26 2004, 2:35 pm, (Lucy Khatt) wrote:
Just read this ng today; I have the oldest Fishin Buddy...I leave it on
the entire time I'm anchored;fishall summer (live on an inland lake) ;
only use 6 batteries all season. Thought the 9 degree cone angle would
be bead, but works fine! Fishfrom and OLD 14' rowboat. (I'm old, too)

Hi everyone:

I really enjoyed this whole discussion on portable fish
finders

I have started to think that I want to go NIGHT fishing with an
inflatable boat for catfish. I am not sure if a portable fish finder
will be helpful . . . since as I understand it, catfishes are bottom
feeders, so they probably wont show up very well.

I have never gone fishing with a fish finder before and I know
very little about fishing itself.

Would you guys recommend the piranhanmax from humminbird? (It
is a portable fish finder).

Do you think that using it, I at least could tell the depth and
contour of the bottom and use that indirectly as a way to find places
the cat fish would be?

OR do you think that catfish can be caught just using stink
bait and no fish finder is needed?

[I am asking these questions as a total novice, having little
or no experience at all. I barely know that stink bait is supposedly
the right bait for catfishes. ]

Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.

Old June 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

It is definitely not necessary, but it could be useful -- especially when
fishing unfamiliar waters.

A sonar unit is more useful for identifying bottom contour, depth,
composition, and structure. Whether you're going after bass or catfish, know
where the fish are most likely to be, and then use the unit to fine such
area.

You might want to run this question by the good folks at
alt.fishing.catfish, too.

Joe
Father's Day is June 17. This year, pick out
a clip-on he's sure to love.... SWL with Quik-clip
Blade Attachments at http://secretweaponlures.com

wrote in message
ps.com...
snip